SWG or something else?

If your cell is 4 years old and running hard it may have reached end of life.

Maybe someone familiar with that brand knows how to test the cell life?
The procedure is to do an
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test 1st to rule out algae
If you have algae do the
SLAM Process then after completion do an overnight chlorine gain test (basically the opposite of an oclt w/ swg on)
If you pass the oclt go straight to the overnight gain test.

Reactions: BDY
Do yourself a BIG favor - toss those guess strips in the trash right now.
All they will do is provide highly inaccurate information.
If you want to be successful at managing your pool, you need highly accurate information.

Ok. So 8 gal 7.5% bleach in at 12-1pm. High chlorine, 20+ on test strip an hour after that…. Pump on. Sunny day. CYA 50-60. 8:30 pm level 3.2 with Taylor 2006 25mL sample. Too big of drop or normal? Cant wait to test at 6 am

High chlorine, 20+ on test strip an hour after that
Please, please, please, order a decent test kit. The $$ spent on the test kit will MORE than pay for the trials and tribulations of the machinations of trying to chase strips.

Compare and buy on tonight...Link-->Test Kits Compared

Please, please, please, order a decent test kit. The $$ spent on the test kit will MORE than pay for the trials and tribulations of the machinations of trying to chase strips.

Compare and buy on tonight...Link-->Test Kits Compared
They have a Taylor 2006 it sounds like.

Just use a 10ml sample. Each drop is 0.5ppm of FC.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great news. :goodjob: With a passed OCLT and clear water, you should have the flexibility to adjust CYA or anything else as needed. Now just be sure to always keep that FC above the minimum mark based on your current CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. In fact, if I were you, I would add about 4-5 ppm of liquid chlorine now as 2.2 ppm is about as low as anyone should ever go, even with a very low CYA. So be sure to keep the FC elevated nice and healthy as noted on that chart and it should be smooth sailing this season.

Great news. :goodjob: With a passed OCLT and clear water, you should have the flexibility to adjust CYA or anything else as needed. Now just be sure to always keep that FC above the minimum mark based on your current CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. In fact, if I were you, I would add about 4-5 ppm of liquid chlorine now as 2.2 ppm is about as low as anyone should ever go, even with a very low CYA. So be sure to keep the FC elevated nice and healthy as noted on that chart and it should be smooth sailing this season.
Soooo...I wasn't really happy with a rapid drop of my FC yesterday after 8 GAL of Bleach ( from above 20ppm to 3.2ppm in 8 hours: from the time I added it and brushed to my dusk testing portion of OCLT). and this morning I got 2-2.2 ppm at dawn... I know it just about passes OCLT, but It is too close and I have bad OCD...
Acid cleaned my SWG cell this am9 had a few calcium spots). Opened and washed out my Cartridge filter and each one of the cartridges...like thoroughly ( water inside the filter and cartridges were filthy!!! and cloudy)
Added 10 gal of 7.5% bleach and brushed. Chorine 24ppm Taylor k2006 10 mL sample

My questions are these:
1. If my pool is squeaky clean and CYA 40-60 range, how much FC should I expect to lose by the evening? Say I test it again tonight and its 3 or below?
2. If my OCLT is legit under 1 tomorrow morning, and I turn on my SWG, how do I make sure my cell is working and producing enough? Manual says 1.25 lbs of chorine at 100% in 24 hours. So if I run 12 hours at 95% I should be at 0.6 lbs of chlorine. What should I expect FC ppm be at that rate? Salinity 3400-3500. all lights on my SWG controls are green and seemed normal. Normal/vigorous Hydrogen bubbles at returns. Overnight gain is same as Overnight loss type test? test FC at dusk, turn on cell and test at dawn and see if FC increased? looking for just overall increase or a specific number?

Acid cleaned my SWG cell this am9 had a few calcium spots
Acid cleaning should be avoided as it removes the metals that make chlorine. Best to use something soft, like popsicle stick to pop spots off.
1. If my pool is squeaky clean and CYA 40-60 range, how much FC should I expect to lose by the evening? Say I test it again tonight and its 3 or below?
In NJ, this time of year, you might lose 2-4ppm in a day.
2. If my OCLT is legit under 1 tomorrow morning, and I turn on my SWG, how do I make sure my cell is working and producing enough? Manual says 1.25 lbs of chorine at 100% in 24 hours. So if I run 12 hours at 95% I should be at 0.6 lbs of chlorine. What should I expect FC ppm be at that rate?
Use pool math, effects of adding, SWG for chemical...will give you FC translation.
Salinity 3400-3500. all lights on my SWG controls are green and seemed normal. Normal/vigorous Hydrogen bubbles at returns.
Then it is working.
Overnight gain is same as Overnight loss type test? test FC at dusk, turn on cell and test at dawn and see if FC increased? looking for just overall increase or a specific number?
Yeah, I'd slam another day. For the first couple days, you can test morning and evening...if your FC is stable, then you are doing just great and can move to daily testing.

Reactions: Mdragger88
How can your self proclaimed OCD allow a CYA of 40-60?
Is it 40 or 50 or 60?
You need to tie down your test results and use more exact numbers to correctly manage your pool.
Are you still using those test strips?

Feel free to keep the FC nice and strong for today. Do another OCLT to feel confident. Use the 10 ML sample size though with one generous scoop of power. Add drops untill clear and divide the result in half. Example, 20 drops to clear is an FC or 10.

After the OCLT, if you pass, try setting the SWG to about 50% or so then monitor to see if the FC is being maintained. If you try to calculate every FC produced by the cell you'll go nuts. :crazy:

Reactions: Serge1978
How can your self proclaimed OCD allow a CYA of 40-60?
Is it 40 or 50 or 60?
You need to tie down your test results and use more exact numbers to correctly manage your pool.
Are you still using those test strips?
Its not easy to tell when the black dot disappears... using Taylor Kit I am 50-60. Using test strip I am 40-60

Acid cleaning should be avoided as it removes the metals that make chlorine. Best to use something soft, like popsicle stick to pop spots off.

My SWG manual states 10 parts water 1 part muriatic acid and soak for 5-10 min

Yes, and they are in the business of selling you cells. Avoid the acid cleaning. Keep your CSI -.3 to 0 to avoid scale. Use the popsicle sticks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.