Jun 28, 2014
Mullica Hill/NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hi all...first time posting..
Pool opened 2 weeks ago. 30K GAL, gunite, SWG Nature 2 1400.
FC is barely detectable by Taylor K2006, maybe 0.2(away from returns). At return during Boost cycle on SWG is about 1.2( is this too low??). Shocked by pool company at time of opening and I shocked again because was not gettin any chlorine levels( 3 1LB bags of hypochlorite)
pH7.4, Alk 120, Ca 250, CYA30-50

How do I know if SWG is failing and not making enough chorine ( seems like 1.2 directly from return is a bit low?) or I have a high demand ( no debris visible and clear water, do not see any algae )and need to SLAM? ( I am not getting a level high enough to even do demand test)

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Once thing's for sure, SWGs can't provide the accelerated FC increase you might need, especially if there's a chemistry or algae issue. So before assuming the worst with the SWG, use some liquid chlorine to increase the FC right away. An FC of 6-8 ppm should be good for you today. Then do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to ensure you have no algae.

If you pass the OCLT, then it's time to get more specific on SWG troubleshooting.

Also visit our Pool Care Basics page for lots of great info.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Once thing's for sure, SWGs can't provide the accelerated FC increase you might need, especially if there's a chemistry or algae issue. So before assuming the worst with the SWG, use some liquid chlorine to increase the FC right away. An FC of 6-8 ppm should be good for you today. Then do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to ensure you have no algae.

If you pass the OCLT, then it's time to get more specific on SWG troubleshooting.

Also visit our Pool Care Basics page for lots of great info.
Thanks for reply...
4 GAL Clorox in the evening, run pump all night with SWG off and test in am?? Basically start SLAM and continue if needed?

4 GAL Clorox in the evening, run pump all night with SWG off and test in am??
Yes, but I would check to see if you have any other chlorine options locally other than Clorox. The Clorox brand has been giving pool owners fits with additives and junk in their laundry products. Maybe there's another generic plain bleach around? Or Walmart's Pool Essentials.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Yes, but I would check to see if you have any other chlorine options locally other than Clorox. The Clorox brand has been giving pool owners fits with additives and junk in their laundry products. Maybe there's another generic plain bleach around? Or Walmart's Pool Essentials.
Thank you. Will grab generic Bleach, bur has to be 6-7.5% concentration?

bur has to be 6-7.5% concentration?
It's all about availability and value. Laundry bleach costs a lot more and it's fairly weak at 6% -7% strength. However items marketed as pool chlorine are usually 10% strength. I usually go to Walmart or the local hardware store when I need liquid chlorine. But if you do get laundry bleach, just be sure it's plain. No splashless or scented products.

Reactions: Serge1978
Pat has given great advice. Use Liquid Chlorine to get to your desired level and the SWG to maintain that level.

How long are you running your pump and what % is the SWG set at? Your Jandy 1400 is for pools up to 40K gallons. TFP recommends SWG twice the size of the pool. The 1400 is the largest Jandy makes, so in order to keep the Chlorine levels up, you'll have to run the pump and SWG longer, and also run the SWG at higher % levels.

To keep my Chlorine levels high enough, I have to run my single speed pump about 10-12 hours/day and set my SWG to about 70-80%.

Pat has given great advice. Use Liquid Chlorine to get to your desired level and the SWG to maintain that level.

How long are you running your pump and what % is the SWG set at? Your Jandy 1400 is for pools up to 40K gallons. TFP recommends SWG twice the size of the pool. The 1400 is the largest Jandy makes, so in order to keep the Chlorine levels up, you'll have to run the pump and SWG longer, and also run the SWG at higher % levels.

To keep my Chlorine levels high enough, I have to run my single speed pump about 10-12 hours/day and set my SWG to about 70-80%.
Always 12 hrs a day at 60-65%. Higher if mor people coming. Always level 2-3 FC with that. Never any issues. Thats why i am a little lost this year. 10th season. Replaced SWG cell 4 years ago. Cant mount any chlorine levels. And only 1.2 level at return with boost mode. Not sure if cell failing or huge demand. No error codes on cell. Salinity 3500

Read the
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test article thoroughly.
Test fc & cc, Raise fc to at least target levels for your cya,
FC/CYA Levels
then test again to confirm- after dark. Then test again in the morning before sunrise. Swg off for the duration. Pump running at least 30 minutes before each test. You can leave it running all night if that’s more convenient.

Reactions: Serge1978

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
All boost mode does is run the SWG at 100% for a 24 hour time period. If you run your pump for 12 hours over a 24 hour period, the SWG will be on for that 12 hours. The percentage has to do with SWG on/off times over a fiven run period. So if a pump runs for 12 continuous hours, a SWG set at 50% will produce chlorine for 6 hours of the pumps 12 hour continuous run time.

A SWG is great for maintaining an FC level - but not great for raising an FC level any appreciable level.
Use liquid chlorine for that boost in FC level.

Post a full set of current test results from your K-2006 test kit.
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt
Water temperature

Are you following the FC/CYA Levels?
Using PoolMath? Link it to your user profile here.

If your Jandy SWG has a mineral cartridge in it, remofe it. It's not doing you any favors and can cause staining.

All boost mode does is run the SWG at 100% for a 24 hour time period. If you run your pump for 12 hours over a 24 hour period, the SWG will be on for that 12 hours. The percentage has to do with SWG on/off times over a fiven run period. So if a pump runs for 12 continuous hours, a SWG set at 50% will produce chlorine for 6 hours of the pumps 12 hour continuous run time.

A SWG is great for maintaining an FC level - but not great for raising an FC level any appreciable level.
Use liquid chlorine for that boost in FC level.

Post a full set of current test results from your K-2006 test kit.
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt
Water temperature

Are you following the FC/CYA Levels?
Using PoolMath? Link it to your user profile here.
Fc 0.2
Cc0
Ph7.4
Ta120
Cya40-50
Ca280-300
77F
Swg at 90% all week and on boost since yesterday

Your FC is WAY to low for your CYA.
FC/CYA Levels

Add liquid chlorine ASAP to get FC within the higher end of the target range for CYA 50 (if CYA is between 40 and 50, round up to 50).

Review the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test instructions and perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test starting tonight.
Be sure the SWG is set to 0% during the entire OCLT.

If you don't fully pass the OCLT, you will need to SLAM Process
You will use only liquid chlorine for this and your SWG should remain at 0% during the entire SLAM Process.

Your FC is WAY to low for your CYA.
FC/CYA Levels

Add liquid chlorine ASAP to get FC within the higher end of the target range for CYA 50 (if CYA is between 40 and 50, round up to 50).

Review the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test instructions and perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test starting tonight.
Be sure the SWG is set to 0% during the entire OCLT.

If you don't fully pass the OCLT, you will need to SLAM Process
You will use only liquid chlorine for this and your SWG should remain at 0% during the entire SLAM Process.
Just going to add enough to start SLAM now and do OCLT tonight

If more than 1 FC loss or CC >0.5 SLAM Process
It's a specific amount of difference, not a range.
Follow the process to the letter, no short cuts.

At night, test 30 minutes after last add with pump running.
In morning, run pump for 30 minutes and then test.
Both FC and CC need to be tested.

Bleach and brush completed. Test after sunset and test before sunrise. if more than 1-2 FC gone I have high demand and if FC about same I have SWG not producing enough?
Please test an hour after this addition ^^^ of bleach and report the FC after an hour. What FC were you targeting and how much of what % bleach did you add?

It is possible that you get to tonight and your FC is gone again.

I added 8 gal of 7.5% to 30k Gal pool with virtually no FC in it. Brushed for about an hour after adding bleach. I was shooting for about 22-24. Did strip test and was 20+ on it. Did not bother with taylor kit at that point. Waiting for dusk.

If your cell is 4 years old and running hard it may have reached end of life.

Maybe someone familiar with that brand knows how to test the cell life?

Reactions: Griswald

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.