Replace 3-Prong Pool Motor Outlet

The voltage is at or below 120W. I tested this with a multimeter last week. Thank you for your education regarding the impeller HP. I'll pull the motor tomorrow and check the impeller part number to confirm it's 1.5 HP. If so, I'll get my order in for the 3/4 HP impeller ASAP. I'll also rewire the motor to the low voltage configuration. I don't mean to gush, but if not for the expertise of this forum, I'd be fit for a straight-jacket. 🤪

Reactions: JamesW
Below is an example of the different flow for different impellers.

Reducing the size of the impeller has the same effect as reducing the speed.

Power is proportional to the flow cubed.

Flow is proportional to impeller speed or diameter.

If you get 60 GPM with a 1.5 hp impeller (1,500 watts), you will get about 57 GPM with a 1.0 hp impeller (1,000 watts) and about 53 GPM with a 3/4 impeller (750 watts).

So, reducing the size of the impeller has a very minor effect on the flow but a big effect on the power.

If the impeller was about 0.20 to 0.25 hp (200 to 250 watts), then the flow would be about half.

Note that 1 hp is about 746 watts, but the pump uses about 1,000 watts per hp due to the way pumps are rated.

1700580551652.png

1700581593832.png

1700581190251.png

1700581233545.png

Power is approximately volts x amps.

The amperage shown is the maximum, but the actual should be lower than the maximum.

For the 3/4 hp impeller, the amperage should be between about 6.5 and 9.0 amps depending on the flow.

115 x 9.8 = 1,127 watts. Probably about 750 to 1,000 watts actual.
115 x 12 = 1,380 watts. Probably about 1,000 watts actual.
115 x 16 = 1,840 watts. Probably about 1,500 watts actual.

1700538323343-png.541451

Note that a pump's rated power is not always the total power.

For example, a 3/4 HP pump with a 1.35 SF (Service Factor) is actually a 1.0 total hp pump.

Last edited:
JamesW - Yep, my brain pretty much reached overload capacity on your shared info. That is a lesson and a half. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to share this information. WOW... who would have thunk. Attached: image of the current impeller. model: 35-3065. Did not see that listed... is this a 1.5 HP impeller? Included also is the before wiring (high voltage) and after wiring (low voltage). I'm ready to order the 3/4 hp impeller as soon as the HP for the 35-3065 impeller is confirmed. Thank you... hope you're having a great day!

Attachments

• tn_35-3065.jpg
    tn_35-3065.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 23
  • tn_High Voltage.jpg
    tn_High Voltage.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 6
  • tn_Low Voltage.jpg
    tn_Low Voltage.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 6
No markings on the pump that I found. The labels are long gone. When we bought the house, this is how I found it. I took a picture of it and sent to INYO. They said it was a Pentair Optiflo pump. But did not provide a model number. The only numbers I could find were on the clamp ring on the filter housing (357239) and Seal Plate (657214). I'll contact INYO to confirm that the Pentair 354522 Impeller will fit this pool pump. Once confirmed, I'll place the order. I'll post my findings.

Attachments

• Seal_Plate.jpg
    Seal_Plate.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 2
  • Clamp_Ring.jpg
    Clamp_Ring.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I estimated where a 1/2 HP impeller and a 1/4 HP impeller would operate.

If you had 60 gpm with a 1.5 HP impeller, you would have to drop down to a 1/4 HP impeller to reduce the flow to about 30 GPM or about half.

1700621132624.png

If they made a 1/2 HP impeller, I would use that.

I do not think that they make an impeller smaller than a 3/4 HP, so that is the smallest you can go.

Mostly, I was explaining why lowering the impeller size would not cause as much loss of flow as people might think.

Also, anything over 40 GPM is pretty much too much flow in my opinion.

If you only have 1 skimmer and no heater, I would go with a 1/4 HP impeller if it was available.

I like the idea of lowering my energy consumption given the increased runtime during the summer months. All that without any real impact on the performance. 👍 Comm has already been sent to INYO to verify compatibility. Once the motor issue is resolved, I'll be halfway home. Next up, new AquaTrol panel not getting power to the LCD display. More on that later. Would you suggest starting a new thread on that issue? It's related, but different part of the SWG system.

Aqua Trol Control Panel Issues. Earlier in this thread I mentioned issues with my Aqua Trol Control panel. I got tired of the ongoing issues, so I ordered a new one (Hayward W3AQ-TROL-RJ). When I plugged in the new one, I did not get any power to the lights & LCD display. I would have immediately sent it back, but by the time I got around to working on this, the 30 day return window had expired. Given it was new, I didn't feel rushed to test it out on receipt. UGH!!! I found the troubleshooting guide from Hayward (see http://www.haywardnet.com/pdfs/AquaTrol-Troubleshooting-Guide.pdf). The main board passed all the test, except when I got to page 12, step H, I was only getting .02 DC volts between the 2 & 4 pins. I also discovered another Hayward troubleshooting guide (see https://images.inyopools.com/cloud/documents/aquatrol-145-troubleshooting-guide-rev2.pdf). This guide included identical steps with the addition of page 15, Step 4G. This was an AC Voltage test between the orange wire and the green ground lug. I was expecting to get somewhere between 10 to 14 Volts. Ended up getting 21V.

I know JamesW has dealt with this issue before, but I my have wore out my welcome with him. He did a great job working me through my motor issue.

If this post needs to be moved to a new thread or something else, please let me know.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.