❓Product package says 98.5% CYA…

Do you have a link? It's probably ok but I don't like taking those chances myself.

In a pinch, HD/Walmart has 100% cya from chlorox, the only thing from them thats ok to use. With a couple days to spare, puritech is cheaper from Amazon.

Reactions: Mdragger88
With a couple days to spare, puritech is cheaper from Amazon.
I could make a trip to Menards and get it locally, where I usually get it. Was trying to save a trip out by ordering on Amazon. I only need <4lbs so I don’t want to buy a large quantity on Amazon though. That’s what led me to the HTH product. Small package.

*also

I'm in a bad storm with crummy cell service so my emojiis aren't working. This is where I insert the happy waving guy to say welcome back and hey !!

*imagine it here* lol.

• Love
Reactions: AveMaria472
*also

I'm in a bad storm with crummy cell service so my emojiis aren't working. This is where I insert the happy waving guy to say welcome back and hey !!

*imagine it here* lol.
Thank you! I knew if I tagged you, you’d reply quickly if you could. I’m very happy to “not need” TFP much anymore, but always happy when I can make use of TFP once again, and enjoy “seeing” those familiar members such as yourself! 😁

• Love
Reactions: Newdude
@Newdude Each spring when I open the pool and test the CYA I get no reading so I assume it is at zero. Would you say this is a normal loss? We did have to let water out of the pool this year when we opened it because it was “full to the brim” (we use plugs for the skimmer and return when we close it) so there was some watering down over the winter. I guess I’m just surprised that there is none left, if there is actually none left. I do let the water sample come to room temp before testing, and my testing supplies are fresh. Just wanted to hear your thoughts!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Each spring when I open the pool and test the CYA I get no reading so I assume it is at zero. Would you say this is a normal loss?
Yes. CYA degrades 3 to 5ppm a month which is unnoticeable in the season but very noticeable when we walk away from the pool for 6 to 8 months.

Plus any rain dilution. I get about 3 ft every winter, which is more or less a 50% water exchange. I have closed at 70+ every fall and opened 0 to 30. Starting at 30, it's almost guaranteed to be 0.

Testing under 30 is sketchy at best so we recommend adding 15 to start and see if that registers a 30 after a few days. If not, add another 10 to 15.

Reactions: AveMaria472
I could make a trip to Menards and get it locally, where I usually get it. Was trying to save a trip out by ordering on Amazon. I only need <4lbs so I don’t want to buy a large quantity on Amazon though. That’s what led me to the HTH product. Small package.
The Clorox one is 100% & is $4 cheaper ($16 currently) - its the same price on Amazon as it is at Walmart
I have used clorox one for years and it’s always worked like it’s supposed to