Gold Supporter
Sep 26, 2023
Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
As posted in a previous thread at the end of last season I was battling white water mold as a result of high cya/chlorine issues. My scheduled opening is early May. Took a look at things today. The entire pool is COVERED with white mold. I did test chlorine, ph and cya today .
Fc basically zero mayyyybe 0.5
Ph 7
Cya 50

Is there anything I can or should prior to opening to try to get a handle on this ?
Thanks in advance

CYA, salt and calcium (when applicable) need a full day to mix before you should trust them after sitting for months.

Without the pump running, and unable toSLAM Process, there's nothing worth doing right now. Any chlorine you add (brushed to mix) will be gone in no time. Save your resources for the big battle.

No chlorine thru frog . Water still passes through it. Switched to liquid ch only, late last year, after realizing High cya is a real problem (despite what the pool store says) . Taylor test kit. Pool was closed in November and won’t be opened for 5 more weeks. The white mold is visible in every inch of the pool . Looks almost like cottonwood while laying on the bottom. Any water agitation from skimming etc sends large shreds that seem to have a paper towel like pattern and zillions of flakes swirling. If I try to grab a larger piece for a photo it disintegrates.
I’m sure this will be a tough process and was trying to look for things I could possibly be doing now

I’m in indiana, I think first week of May is the earliest my pool shop offers openings. Sun wasn’t out much today this is about the best photo I have . If you zoom you can see some of the larger pieces

Attachments

• IMG_4131.jpeg
    IMG_4131.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I will call today to see if we can move opening up. The temps here over the next ten days will fall close to freezing (lows 33-34) a few times. I’m not sure if that’s a factor in opening early or not as far as equipment and/or chems ?

Earlier response I forgot to add which Taylor, I use k2006 c

I will call today to see if we can move opening up. The temps here over the next ten days will fall close to freezing (lows 33-34) a few times. I’m not sure if that’s a factor in opening early or not as far as equipment and/or chems ?

Earlier response I forgot to add which Taylor, I use k2006 c
The longer you wait to fix it the more expensive and time consuming it’ll be to clean up. At least get a sump pump in there to circulate the water so you can get some chlorine in there.

do you mean drop a sump in deep point and pump it out, while adding fresh?
No just drop it down there and let it suck in water and pump it right back out in the same spot. Just to get water moving. That is if you are going to wait a long time until opening the pool.

Thank you, I called and indeed can open earlier. We’ve always had the pool company open and close. So, they come do their thing…. Connecting equipment adding chlorine, algaecide and whatever else they normally do.

Would I let them do their normal thing and begin SLAM the following day? Or should I instruct them otherwise , like “just hook my equipment up and I’ll take care of the rest”?

Thank you all so much!
Refreshing myself on slam
I entered 50 for cya (pool calc) to fig fc slam level and it says out of range. I’m having a hard time remembering how to determine my target number ?

Ok, yep I see the toggle now!

I’m going to be off work, so available to add fc every x number of hours.

So let’s say I do the first “dose” (abt 2 gallons) of 10% before sunrise. Would I immediately close the auto cover or does it stay open to gas off?
Then wait 3-4 hours test/add
Repeat until oclt is 1 ppm or less
and cc 0.5 or less
And water crystal clear

This sound about right?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support