Help! TF-Pro Arrived, first test, not sure I’m making the right decision.

Ughhhhh, regroup. Okay. We backwashed (learned something new :)) and the drain is to the street. We relined with DE and things got strange. 1. I saw DE coming from return. 2. Returns were bubbling.

One issue, pool water level fell too low based on water in skimmer pulling vigorously. We’re adding water now. And will try again and hopefully that’s the problem.

We’ll have to “vacuum to waste” which I don’t yet understand once the DE has settled. The pool is completely cloudy.

To deal with the bubbles we’ve tried bleeding the pump but being new to the system and pools in general we haven’t gotten it right yet.

So I’m refilling water, it looks like the level was low before we started today. I’m concerned something is broken and needs service but I’m not yet sure of anything. We’re letting the water refill to 1/4 up skimmer and will try and later.

Ughhhhh, regroup. Okay. We backwashed (learned something new :)) and the drain is to the street. We relined with DE and things got strange. 1. I saw DE coming from return. 2. Returns were bubbling.

One issue, pool water level fell too low based on water in skimmer pulling vigorously. We’re adding water now. And will try again and hopefully that’s the problem.

We’ll have to “vacuum to waste” which I don’t yet understand once the DE has settled. The pool is completely cloudy.

To deal with the bubbles we’ve tried bleeding the pump but being new to the system and pools in general we haven’t gotten it right yet.

So I’m refilling water, it looks like the level was low before we started today. I’m concerned something is broken and needs service but I’m not yet sure of anything. We’re letting the water refill to 1/4 up skimmer and will try and later.
I don’t think you can vac to waste unless you have another valve that i’m not seeing.

I hope someone can help we’re stuck.

Current problems:
- Pump won’t prime
- bubbles in returns
- DE coming out of returns
-no waste line to vacuum DE out
-filter not yet recoated with DE (3rd cleaning)

Thank you @Mdragger88. Not being able to vacuum just adds to our things to figure out.

How we got here and what we’ve done:

1. In first attempt to backwash we turned the skimmer / jandy valve, and heard gurgling and water move. (I think this is where it all went wrong)
Figured out quickly we turned the wrong lever and returned it to original position.

2. Completed 1st backwash - lots of green sludge repeated with quick rinses in between until till clear.

We missed the release air from filter step

3. Turned on pump, and coated with DE.
There were air bubbles and de in the returns. We stopped and did a second backwash, released the air this time and re-coated with DE. Same result. We attempted to bleed air out using the skimmer lever (wrong) and then the top of filter gauge. At first it seemed to work but problem persisted.

4. We backwashed for the 3rd time and disassembled the filter to clean and inspect. Removed all DE and debris. Inspected each grid and manifold. All clean no tears or breaks. Coated o-ring with silicone. Released air after assembled. Turned on pump and pump still won’t prime… skimmer sucking in water and air.

We stopped to regroup and have not re-coated filter yet.

Again…

We’ve completely cleaned and inspected the filter. No tears no cracks and o ring is in tact. But the problems after the first backwash and recoating continue.

The pump takes a lot of time to prime and will not remain full. The skimmer begins to suck down water and then the returns bubble and eject DE.

We’ve watched and read tutorials and feel the next step is to check gasket connections for leaks.https://www.troublefreepool.com/blog/2019/01/18/suction-side-air-leaks/

After that we’re stuck and have no idea what to do next. I hope someone can help.

These are my questions…

1. Is the side suction leak fix the right next step?

2. How to remove DE from pool we have no waste line?

If I’m pointed in the wrong direction please let me know.

I can post more pics of our set up if needed.

FYI. We only have 1 skimmer.

IMG_4415.jpeg
IMG_4413.jpeg

I hope someone can help we’re stuck.

Current problems:
- Pump won’t prime
- bubbles in returns
- DE coming out of returns
-no waste line to vacuum DE out
-filter not yet recoated with DE (3rd cleaning)

Thank you @Mdragger88. Not being able to vacuum just adds to our things to figure out.

How we got here and what we’ve done:

1. In first attempt to backwash we turned the skimmer / jandy valve, and heard gurgling and water move. (I think this is where it all went wrong)
Figured out quickly we turned the wrong lever and returned it to original position.

2. Completed 1st backwash - lots of green sludge repeated with quick rinses in between until till clear.

We missed the release air from filter step

3. Turned on pump, and coated with DE.
There were air bubbles and de in the returns. We stopped and did a second backwash, released the air this time and re-coated with DE. Same result. We attempted to bleed air out using the skimmer lever (wrong) and then the top of filter gauge. At first it seemed to work but problem persisted.

4. We backwashed for the 3rd time and disassembled the filter to clean and inspect. Removed all DE and debris. Inspected each grid and manifold. All clean no tears or breaks. Coated o-ring with silicone. Released air after assembled. Turned on pump and pump still won’t prime… skimmer sucking in water and air.

We stopped to regroup and have not re-coated filter yet.

Again…

We’ve completely cleaned and inspected the filter. No tears no cracks and o ring is in tact. But the problems after the first backwash and recoating continue.

The pump takes a lot of time to prime and will not remain full. The skimmer begins to suck down water and then the returns bubble and eject DE.

We’ve watched and read tutorials and feel the next step is to check gasket connections for leaks.https://www.troublefreepool.com/blog/2019/01/18/suction-side-air-leaks/

After that we’re stuck and have no idea what to do next. I hope someone can help.

These are my questions…

1. Is the side suction leak fix the right next step?

2. How to remove DE from pool we have no waste line?

If I’m pointed in the wrong direction please let me know.

I can post more pics of our set up if needed.

FYI. We only have 1 skimmer.

View attachment 566152
View attachment 566153
You don’t need to vac to waste - just vac to filter. The filter will catch the de.
For the priming issue-
Be sure your water level is a little over 1/2 way above the middle of the skimmer mouth.
Open the pump basket lid and let any air out/let the pot fill with water.
Lube the pump pot lid oring.

Also you can tie some skimmer socks/panty hose to your returns to help catch any remaining de that comes out. Some have been able to use a regular sock 🧦 but they are a bit thick & hard to keep attached. I use a ponytail holder or rubber band.

Reactions: LMWed2018
LM,

Your pump only has one input pipe, so the only thing that could cause the skimmer to "suck down water and then the returns bubble" would be that your weir door, in the skimmer, is stuck up.. or... your water level is way too low..

The pump really should not be able to suck more water out of the skimmer, faster than the water can fall into the skimmer from the pool.

Go make sure that your weir door is not suck up and that it moves with the water level.. and that your water level is in the middle of the tile line.

I would not do anything else, until you can get your pump running correctly.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Good info @Mdragger88 and @Jimrahbe. Thank you!

What about re-coating the filter with DE? Is it okay to run pump without it?

Will vacuuming the DE count towards adding DE to filter?

Other than that we’ll follow each of the steps given, starting with adding water to 1/2 way tile mark before following @Jimrahbe instructions for restarting the pump.

We don’t have a weir door. I’ll work on that asap. I’ll update as we make progress.

Thanks again,
LM,

Your pump only has one input pipe, so the only thing that could cause the skimmer to "suck down water and then the returns bubble" would be that your weir door, in the skimmer, is stuck up.. or... your water level is way too low..

The pump really should not be able to suck more water out of the skimmer, faster than the water can fall into the skimmer from the pool.

Go make sure that your weir door is not suck up and that it moves with the water level.. and that your water level is in the middle of the tile line.

I would not do anything else, until you can get your pump running correctly.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you @Mdragger88 and @Jimrahbe!

Great info. Out water level is too low. Well done that first. We don’t have a weir door. I’ll remedy that asap if it’s a easy fix

First we’ll add water to the suggested level.

Reactions: Newdude
Running the filter without de will clog your grids - you want to add the appropriate amount of de for your particular filter after backwashing
here’s the manual

Also

The weir door is what makes the skimmer effective at skimming- they are easily installed you just need to get the right one that fits your skimmer. There may be markings on your lid to help you figure out what you need/what skimmer you have.

Reactions: LMWed2018

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes! I could throw a party. It worked! Adding water resolved our problem. Thank you again for your guidance. Once I’ve got de cleaned up, pool well brushed and ph down we can start the SLAM!

I’m watching filter pressure closely given all the DE in the pool, and will pick up a weir door to install this week. I’m really pleased and excited after a tough weekend!

Reactions: Mdragger88
Getting ready for slam.

Prep…
- zero chlorine again and cya tests low again. But based on prior testing we added the pool math suggested amount of chlorine and will retest cya and chlorine drop in the morning.
- added the muriatic acid to lower ph.

Hopefully we’ll be ready to start tomorrow if the cya test is at or above 30 as it was 4-5 days ago. If not I’ll add and test to target of 30 before starting the slam.

Reactions: Mdragger88
The cya won’t change by tomorrow from what it is today unless you are doing something to change it (replacing water/ adding something with cya in it)- just add what you need to get to 30ppm. Via the sock method & slam on

The cya won’t change by tomorrow from what it is today unless you are doing something to change it (replacing water/ adding something with cya in it)- just add what you need to get to 30ppm. Via the sock method & slam on
Yeah, just tested. We added water and had rain so I’m adding cya slowly to get back up. Oddly my ph rose. I’m going to do some research, start my pump, brush pebble down completely… wait,

My Chlorine is really high (at shock level) because I didn’t change % in pool math from bleach to LC 10%. Now I remember at shock level ph cannot he tested. Hmph, with my cya being low every thing should balance out with todays sunlight. We’ll see what happens.

Success! We’ve started our slam as of last night.

Filter Spitting DE - Resolved manifold top was not on tight after cleaning last week. Once placed on snuggly it’s working perfect.

CYA Low - Slow additions got us to just above 30 so we’ve rounded to 40 and will monitor when water has to be added.

PH lowered to 7.2

We started the slam around 8pm FC target 16. At sunrise we’d not lost any FC (I may have goofed in my measurements last night tested @16.5)

9am swept entire pool, tested (dropped 3ppm) and added Chlorine as needed. Ran robot to sweep and rake completely.

12:00 Robot (Hector) finished and tested. Dropped 2.5ppm Added needed chlorine.

Water low - we’ve had to add water repeatedly. Not sure if it’s the weather- Wind and cool nights. It’s affecting maintaining cya levels.

I think we’re off to a good start.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude