Pool Store scam or truth?

Well to be honest I do stock up to some degree on the B's. I get the Baking soda for a ridiculous price at the feed store for 50 lb bags. We use it for things all around the house. I keep extra Borax because it also is a great laundry additive that is cheaper than oxiclean, also kills fire ants. I keep a rotation of 8 gallons of bleach on hand as it also works for laundry, and cleaning the patio and deck furniture. Keeping a supply of the B's is prudent for daily house maintenance. :)

In that case, I practice MRD. Margarita, Riesling, and Diet Dew.

Retest everything when you are done exchanging water and adjust your pH in preparation to SLAM. The hard part is making the decision, the SLAM itself is easy.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk

So now that i've gotten the CYA down to around 50. (low as I'm willing to go right now) The next step is balancing the pH? Then determining my FC shock level? Which I believe is 20. and since I have a total FC of 0...to raise the FC to 20 i would need to add 6 gallons 2 quarts or 8.7 (96 oz) jugs of bleach for a 20K gallon no salt pool? Sorry I'm new to the pool math application.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

What strength and size of bleach bottles do you have?
6.5 gallons sounds about right if it is really 6% bleach which is rare.

You might want to check pool stores for 12.5% bleach. Small deposit. Check out the first jug and see if the CL rises per pool math to check freshness. I have one near me that has 2.5 gal and 5 gal containers. Less lugging during SLAM.

Check out any ACE Hardware they had some 10% near me. Higher % means less lugging.

So now that i've gotten the CYA down to around 50. (low as I'm willing to go right now) The next step is balancing the pH? Then determining my FC shock level? Which I believe is 20. and since I have a total FC of 0...to raise the FC to 20 i would need to add 6 gallons 2 quarts or 8.7 (96 oz) jugs of bleach for a 20K gallon no salt pool? Sorry I'm new to the pool math application.

sorry sig not showing up....maybe as of yet.

First, as Jason said 6% bleach is rare. Only a few bargin brands still make it. Standard bleach is usually 8.25%. It should be listed on the label. You can also find 10% and 12.5% sold as liquid shock or liquid chlorine. Make sure you enter the right % in PoolMath.

Second, you need to balance your pH before you begin to SLAM. The pH test is not accurate once your FC level is above 10.

First, as Jason said 6% bleach is rare. Only a few bargin brands still make it. Standard bleach is usually 8.25%. It should be listed on the label. You can also find 10% and 12.5% sold as liquid shock or liquid chlorine. Make sure you enter the right % in PoolMath.

Second, you need to balance your pH before you begin to SLAM. The pH test is not accurate once your FC level is above 10.

Gotcha! Thats what I thought (about the pH) Just out of curiosity, regular clorox bleach is what % 8.25%?

- - - Updated - - -

If my pH registered < 6.8...the lowest the test reads, even after draining and refilling how many boxes of borax should I buy? 4 or 5?

The bottle should say, but most is now 8.25%

- - - Updated - - -

What does PoolMath say would be required to raise from 6.8 to 7.2-7.5? You need to enter your current TA too.

Looks like at least 4 boxes ... pick up 5. Only add 3 to start.
OR
Just aerate to raise the pH since your TA is so high it should come up on its own.

The bottle should say, but most is now 8.25%

- - - Updated - - -

What does PoolMath say would be required to raise from 6.8 to 7.2-7.5? You need to enter your current TA too.

Looks like at least 4 boxes ... pick up 5. Only add 3 to start.
OR
Just aerate to raise the pH since your TA is so high it should come up on its own.

Gotcha...with a TA of 130 pool math says 18 lbs or 3.9 (76 oz) boxes...but i understand what you are telling me about the pH coming up on it's own after 3 boxes since my TA is 130. How long after adding borax can you test the pH levels? 15 Mins?

Br? Do you mean Bromine (which you do not have in your pool) from the test by the pH test?
Or do you mean borates which you also would not have unless you added them.

Although 3 boxes of borax will actually add 10ppm of borates.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.