tfetner

Jul 29, 2021
Warrior, AL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We have a 33 ft round advice ground pool with a 52 inch pool wall. Estimated 23000 gallons. It’s a chlorine pool. We have tried everything to get this pool clear and nothing has worked. We tried a floc which worked perfectly in the past but nothing this year. As of yesterday my levels were as follows
Alkalinity 95
Ph 6.9
Calcium 152
Total chlorine 10
Free chlorine 7.4
CYA 56
Phosohate 0
The guy at the pool store thinks it’s our sand filler so we bought the stuff to clean it last night then added 5 bags of shock this morning. I’ve spent a ton on money on shock this year. How is this pool not clear?
We vacuumed the bottom and came across a few green patches but not like expected for it to be so cloudy. I’ve attached a picture from last night. We really want this clear by the weekend. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 8240AC67-4988-4782-9140-2734E0F36B36.jpeg
    8240AC67-4988-4782-9140-2734E0F36B36.jpeg
    137.3 KB · Views: 15
  • B0C48319-51E9-4AC6-9CED-4BCBEA718E5E.jpeg
    B0C48319-51E9-4AC6-9CED-4BCBEA718E5E.jpeg
    230.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 91918785-02A8-40A8-A384-938CD6D974E8.jpeg
    91918785-02A8-40A8-A384-938CD6D974E8.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 15
First thing to order is your own test kit. Do it NOW. Link-->Test Kits Compared

Add 5ppm of liquid chlorine until your test kit arrives.

Before the test kit arrives, print this out and read it a bunch of times and get ready...Link-->SLAM Process

When your test kit arrives, start the SLAM process. It will clear your pool.

Proof? Link-->How Clear is TFP Clear?

Do not FLOC the pool. Did you already floc the pool this year? Did you run the filter on the FLOC? If so, you should read this:

Reactions: Mdragger88

Before the test kit arrives, print this out and read it a bunch of times and get ready...Link-->SLAM Process

Do not FLOC the pool. Did you already floc the pool this year? Did you run the filter on the FLOC? If so, you should read this:
Yes we did a floc last week and it didn’t work at all we let it set over 48 hours and nothing. Then we put one of those socks on skimmer basket to helpfully filter out that floc because we knew we had to keep chlorine circulating
I suck at math for 5 ppm how much is that for my size pool and where do i find liquid chlorine? Also do i add that much each day until my kit arrives?
Thanks!

Yes we did a floc last week and it didn’t work at all we let it set over 48 hours and nothing. Then we put one of those socks on skimmer basket to helpfully filter out that floc because we knew we had to keep chlorine circulating
I suck at math for 5 ppm how much is that for my size pool and where do i find liquid chlorine? Also do i add that much each day until my kit arrives?
Thanks!
You can use the effects of adding in
PoolMath to calculate how much is 5ppm.
You can find chlorine at walmart, home depot, lowe's, ace hardware and even pool stores 😱 it's the only thing I buy there 😂😂

Download pool math...it doesn't suck at math. Link-->PoolMath

Configure your pool, then home screen, upper left three lines, the "effects of adding" Configure for bleach, use the % liquid chlorine you bought, then change the amount until you get adds 5ppm as a result. Just ran your numbers, add 1 gallon per day of liquid chlorine. Should be fine...but get pool math anyway.

Yes, add 5ppm per day.

Configure your pool, then home screen, upper left three lines, the "effects of adding" Configure for bleach, use the % liquid chlorine you bought, then change the amount until you get adds 5ppm as a result. Just ran your numbers, add 1 gallon per day of liquid chlorine. Should be fine...but get pool math anyway.

Yes, add 5ppm per day.
I downloaded the app yesterday and added my pool but every time I try to open the app it takes me to the "add a pool" section and will not let me leave there. I have tried everything, even deleing and reloading the app, its still stuck on that page. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I know I sound like an airhead but I promise I'm not. :)

I have printed everything out and will now to and look in pool school for what the abbreviations stand for. I think CC is combined chlorine and FC is Free Chlorine but no idea what CYA is I'll look there now and also get that test kit ordered.

Yes, add 5ppm per day.
Do I need to add stabilizer (CYA)? I haven't added any but Isee in the instructions to SLAM the pool its says it works best if CYA is around 30-40. I have a bag of stabilizer at home but I thought I was supposed to add that once the pool was clear. Please let me know if I need to go ahead and add it while I'm waiting on my test kit and while I'm adding the daily liquid shock. Thanks!

Reactions: SJSEG2023
I downloaded the app yesterday and added my pool but every time I try to open the app it takes me to the "add a pool" section and will not let me leave there. I have tried everything, even deleing and reloading the app, its still stuck on that page. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I know I sound like an airhead but I promise I'm not. :)
after you enter size, etc, you need to click the check mark in the upper right corner.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do I need to add stabilizer (CYA)? I haven't added any but Isee in the instructions to SLAM the pool its says it works best if CYA is around 30-40. I have a bag of stabilizer at home but I thought I was supposed to add that once the pool was clear. Please let me know if I need to go ahead and add it while I'm waiting on my test kit and while I'm adding the daily liquid shock. Thanks!
I would not add CYA until you test and you know the current level. TFP is based on having a solid test kit and results. We add what we need to add based on solid test results. Until you have them, the only thing to add is Liquid Chlorine.

after you enter size, etc, you need to click the check mark in the upper right corner.
It’s stuck on this page and won’t let me of even if i delete and download it again. Wen i click on the check mark it said to add a zip code which I’ve already done.

Attachments

• 8B753B5F-46B9-4277-9B64-8783B605D219.png
    8B753B5F-46B9-4277-9B64-8783B605D219.png
    376.6 KB · Views: 19
I would not add CYA until you test and you know the current level. TFP is based on having a solid test kit and results. We add what we need to add based on solid test results. Until you have them, the only thing to add is Liquid Chlorine.
Actually I just noticed on the print out from the pool store from yesterday that our CYA is at 56.

Actually I just noticed on the print out from the pool store from yesterday that our CYA is at 56.
Look at that print out again and read it as..."I don't know what my CYA is until my test kit arrives and I can test it." (y)

Sincerely,
PoolStored

The other day I posted about my pool being cloudy and not being able to get it clear. We started out (BEFORE I thought to come here) with a Floc. We did this in the past and it worked but not this year. So we have been shocking the heck out of this pool and not really getting anywhere. At the advice of your own, Poolstored, I have ordered a test kit and it should arrive today. I have also been adding a gallon of liquid chlorine each day as instructed. There is a tiny bit of difference but not much as far as clarity goes. There is a guy on my street who actually works on pools and I saw him outside yesterday so I told him what was going on. He said he doesn't work on above ground pools but that a floc was what I needed. I told him we tried it and it didn't work. He told me that its always done the trick for him with cloudy water and he went through the process of what I already knew. So I'm just being polite and listening and he said you know, just be sure you recirculate and do NOT run it thorough your sand filter, I'm agreeing because I already know all of this, then suddenly I specifically remembered I ran my pump on FILTER instead of recirculate for 2 hours before shutting it off to settle!!! It's my fault! I can't believe I did that. :-(

So now, here we are, tons of money spent on shock and apparently no clear water in sight. The lady at the pool store (I know, I know) suggested changing the sand in our filter since we already cleaned it and its still cloudy but my thought on that is if we still have old unsettled flock in the entire pool, if we change the sand will it not just screw up that new sand too? It will again be running floc through the filter. Is this one of the extremely rare times when I do need to do a floc to hopefully settle all this cloudy stuff to the bottom where we can finally get it out of the pool? Then maybe clean the sand again and hope to get one last year out of what we have before replacing the sand?

I know we have a 70% chance of rain here tomorrow so that buys me 7 days to try to get this pool clear. I'm open to suggestions but one thing we can't do is vacuum it every day due to our work schedules.

I've beat myself up over this now I'm just ready to fix it. What do I do?

I will post my water test results as soon as my kit comes it, hopefully this evening.

Thanks in advance!
Tonya

The other day I posted about my pool being cloudy and not being able to get it clear. We started out (BEFORE I thought to come here) with a Floc. We did this in the past and it worked but not this year. So we have been shocking the heck out of this pool and not really getting anywhere. At the advice of your own, Poolstored, I have ordered a test kit and it should arrive today. I have also been adding a gallon of liquid chlorine each day as instructed. There is a tiny bit of difference but not much as far as clarity goes. There is a guy on my street who actually works on pools and I saw him outside yesterday so I told him what was going on. He said he doesn't work on above ground pools but that a floc was what I needed. I told him we tried it and it didn't work. He told me that its always done the trick for him with cloudy water and he went through the process of what I already knew. So I'm just being polite and listening and he said you know, just be sure you recirculate and do NOT run it thorough your sand filter, I'm agreeing because I already know all of this, then suddenly I specifically remembered I ran my pump on FILTER instead of recirculate for 2 hours before shutting it off to settle!!! It's my fault! I can't believe I did that. :-(

So now, here we are, tons of money spent on shock and apparently no clear water in sight. The lady at the pool store (I know, I know) suggested changing the sand in our filter since we already cleaned it and its still cloudy but my thought on that is if we still have old unsettled flock in the entire pool, if we change the sand will it not just screw up that new sand too? It will again be running floc through the filter. Is this one of the extremely rare times when I do need to do a floc to hopefully settle all this cloudy stuff to the bottom where we can finally get it out of the pool? Then maybe clean the sand again and hope to get one last year out of what we have before replacing the sand?

I know we have a 70% chance of rain here tomorrow so that buys me 7 days to try to get this pool clear. I'm open to suggestions but one thing we can't do is vacuum it every day due to our work schedules.

I will post my water test results as soon as my kit comes it, hopefully this evening.

Thanks in advance!
Tonya
What size and how old is the filter? What size pump? Sand seldom needs changing, but may be low in the tank as there is always some (very little, but some) lost with each backwash especially if the pump is oversized.

What size and how old is the filter? What size pump? Sand seldom needs changing, but may be low in the tank as there is always some (very little, but some) lost with each backwash especially if the pump is oversized.
Unless it’s clogged with floc right?

Reactions: 1poolman1

Thanks in advance!
Tonya
The solution to getting floc in your filter is NOT more floc. Floc needs to be vacuumed to waste and not go through the filter. If you have a robot that can pick up the junk you may try that, but getting it out of the pool is the only option.

You can open the filter and check the sand if it’s been gelled up or not by the floc.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.