Please help clear my pool

What size and how old is the filter? What size pump? Sand seldom needs changing, but may be low in the tank as there is always some (very little, but some) lost with each backwash especially if the pump is oversized.
Its around 25,700 gallons and I'm not sure the size of the pump and I'm not home to check. I'm still working on gathering information for this site. We changed the sand 2 years ago.

The solution to getting floc in your filter is NOT more floc. Floc needs to be vacuumed to waste and not go through the filter. If you have a robot that can pick up the junk you may try that, but getting it out of the pool is the only option.

You can open the filter and check the sand if it’s been gelled up or not by the floc.
The problem is we can't vacuum the floc to waste because it never settled, we let it set over 48 hours and I'm guessing it never settled because we ran the stuff through the filter by accident for 2 hours before shutting it of to settle. If it would settle we could easily vacuum it to waste and be done with it. We have vacuumed it blindly and brushed blindly because we can't see the bottom and there isn't any larger debris floating to the top its all just cloudy in the water. At this point if we are vacuuming the floc out we are looking at draining the pool which we definitely do not want to do.
We will try to check looking at the sand when there is a break in the rain tomorrow. Thanks.

Unfortunately, the sand may be in trouble and gummed-up by the floc. For now, I would continue to try and let the floc settle and vacuum to waste. Also start working the SLAM Process to kill & remove algae which in time should help you to see into the water better. At some point you'll probably have to just chalk it up as a learning experience and change the sand. :hammer:

Unfortunately, the sand may be in trouble and gummed-up by the floc. For now, I would continue to try and let the floc settle and vacuum to waste. Also start working the SLAM Process to kill & remove algae which in time should help you to see into the water better. At some point you'll probably have to just chalk it up as a learning experience and change the sand. :hammer:
I agree. I'm just afraid if I change the sand now with floc in there it will just mess up the new sand. I'm facing the fact that this floc isn't going to settle. We let it set over 48 hours then tried letting it set again a few days later, no settling at all.

I'm just afraid if I change the sand now with floc in there it will just mess up the new sand.
Agreed. I would continue with the SLAM Process and let the current sand get it. Backwashing "might" help a little, but hopefully you can complete the SLAM Process then exchange the sand worry-free.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Agreed. I would continue with the SLAM Process and let the current sand get it. Backwashing "might" help a little, but hopefully you can complete the SLAM Process then exchange the sand worry-free.
Additional question. Do you think by continuing to add shock that the shock will clear up the old floc? I don't even know what floc actually is, does it eventually disintegrate or does is lurk in your water forever like Jello that never set up? I'm hoping it eventually disintegrates because if that is the case maybe we are just dealing with regular cloudiness at this point since its been well over a week since our botched floc attempt. I hope that test kit gets here today so I can get an actual reading of all of my levels. Thanks again for your help.

It might breakdown some of it, but not all. The floc attached to the sand may not go anywhere until you change the sand.
My main concern is getting the water clear where I can at least see the bottom of the pool at this point is that even something that massive amounts of shock can handle? I sure hope so because I don't want to change the sand until the water clears up, if that's even possible. Sorry for all the questions. Thanks again.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.