Opening our new to us pool for the first time! Unveil the swamp!

I just had 4 people in the pool for 2 hours. Lost 2ppm. It's a hot sun today... Algae will love it so boost that FC!

I hope someone responds about that spa. I know more about vinyl surfaces, so not a great helper. The surface ones look a bit like calcium and some effervescence from the grout.

2:20 pm
FC 11.5

I forget the CC. My brain feels fried. Brushed to pool, and now I'm going to sit inside and chill for a while. Water temp is a cool 80 degrees, though. it's gone up almost 10 degrees in 3 days. now that I've brushed it, it's a little cloudier than the photo below.

Untitled by Carrie, on Flickr

We are going to wash the filters again, and then test and add chlorine. We finally opened the main drain (we had left it closed because we thought we needed a part from the cleaning system debris canister) and the smell of the gunk in that debris canister was disgusting. Wow. Husband baled out 10 gallons of dark gunk. But, now it's out, main drain is pulling from the bottom for increased circulation.

We are going to wash the filters again, and then test and add chlorine. We finally opened the main drain (we had left it closed because we thought we needed a part from the cleaning system debris canister) and the smell of the gunk in that debris canister was disgusting. Wow. Husband baled out 10 gallons of dark gunk. But, now it's out, main drain is pulling from the bottom for increased circulation.
Keep the faith. You'll be floating in the clear water soon!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Cleaning that out will go a LONG way towards faster clearing! Good job! The main drain being open will help quite a bit to.

One time I forgot to open my main drain after vacuuming. About 3 days later I notice my sparkle was gone from the pool. It was clear and all of that but ....not TFP sparkle clear.......It took some backtracking to figure it out........once I opened the main drain it only took a day or so for the sparkle to come back. I am guessing the water sitting in the main drain pipe was going nasty.

Do you have any water features or such? If so make sure to run water through them at least once a day.

Kim:cat:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Got my new tips in the mail today. much easier to do drops!

7:20 pm

FC 10.5
CC .5

We have 2 pool lights that we need to clean up - the lights, the cables, and the niche for them. We're planning to take nylon brushes to them, but they're all under water. Can we get in the water to do that cleaning tomorrow, or wait until a later point?

- - - Updated - - -

The spa does work - we can get water through the therapy jets and the returns, and air from the bubbler. The drains all work, but we have no covers for any drains or returns.

So long as your FC is just under your FC/CYA SLAM level you are safe to get in the water. Just wear an old suit. BUT do NOT go swimming or allow others to swim until you can see the bottom.

Some people get their pool it's own toothbrush LOL That is great for all of the small places.

Kim:cat:

I bought a toilet brush at the dollar store for my light and wall steps. Unless you just like knowing your CC, I wouldn't bother testing it until you are close to being done as you know the SLAM will not be done until the pool clears.

On another note the process takes a while but I brought my pool from 3 years of no use back to good order in around a month using TFP method so I know you can do it too. Just hang tight it's alot of work and seems like a really long time while you are spending hours cleaning and learning.

Jared

9:15 am

FC 10.5
CC .5

vacuuming before disturbing with a brush. That water has a blue-green hue to it still, and has me wondering about metals. I know they had a nature2 system as part of the setup (adds copper to water?) and an autoleveler connected to the well water - I can see orange iron staining around the port to the autoleveler. Our iron tested at 3 ppm according to the water softener guy.

Is metal in my water causing the blue-green? or could they be?

I would say the water is much clearer this morning. We can see a lot more detail on the floor, even in the deep end. Not there yet, though!

No guesses here.... You are making great progress, though! You just uncovered a mess yesterday, so hopefully soon!

Is the nature2 cartridge out? Also, that really is too bad about the iron also.
Stick a white sock in the skimmer for a few hours. Don't block the flow just so it's in the flow a bit. If it starts to look rusty you have iron for sure.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

3:00 pm

FC 11.5
CC .5

The nature2 cartidge is out. I'm assuming they took it out when they winterized it several years ago.

We have had those skimmer socks in, and they are gray/green with algae and junk, but they haven't turned orange, so maybe that's a good sign. And that's even with rinsing for reuse in straight well water.

We think the clarity has improved somewhat since this morning. White things at the bottom of the pool still look a light blue/green. I should expect those to look white once our water is crystal clear, right?

About time for a cartridge clean, and I am working on scrubbing the winter cover. It has living fauna growing in the webbing. The cover really should be replaced, but that's not in the budget, either for this year. Does better than nothing at keeping stuff out, but there are enough small holes that could be big holes that it will be come less effective as a safety cover. We'll have a fence around it yet this summer, though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.