Opening our new to us pool for the first time! Unveil the swamp!

I checked my FC this evening - it was 1, which seems like an excessive drop for no use of the pool today, just hot and humid. It was 4 (my target) at 9 am. Is this a reasonable loss, considering I'm still trying to bump my CYA to 30?

Sick kids cut into my pool life! :). i finally got my calcium chloride - picked up some safe step Deicer that my local ace happened to have high on a shelf. Can't tell what the percent of CaCl is, but no other ingredients listed.

Yesterdays weather her was intense. We were under tornado warning, but thankfully no damage to homestead.

Will be be adding the calcium this evening. How soon can I test for how far it's bumped th CH?

This morning, my results are:
FC 1.5
CC 0
PH 7.2 (maybe a bit more)
CH 225 (yay! bumped it up overnight)
TA 50
CYA - ? last check I though it was 20

I used the standard solution today, and I guess I'm feeling dense - I think I can still see the dot at 50, even with the glance away. However, maybe I'm just seeing shadows/ reflections? as I fill it towards 30, it definitely disappears. I was standing outside, with the eastern morning sun at my back.

So, I think I'll add more of my calcium to get the CH over 250, but I'm going to do that tonight, so I can add some chlorine this morning, and maybe we'll take a swim this afternoon. Going to play with the standard CYA in different lighting conditions.

Okay, so I messed around with the CYA test in different lighting. The standard still only showed at best as 40. I was in direct sunlight, sun at my back, over concrete, so lots of bright light all around me, no shading trees. I tried it standing under the pool slide, I tried it by turning so the sun shown on it view tube, and then swinging around so the view tube was in the shade. this allowed me to kinda compare the degree of disappear at a given mark on the tube. My conclusion is I may have some sample making errors.

Given that, however, I tried my pool water, and it looks like the dot is mostly gone at 30, and definitely gone halfway between 20 and 30. So do I round up to 30 as my reading?

We are "testing" the Standard solution as I speak. One suggestion so far is to hold the tube with two fingers on the top. I still have to do my test to see what I see and what works for me. I will let you know when I do it.

Kim:cat:

Today I'm tweaking the TA. My target is 70, started at 50. pool math says to add 7+ pounds of baking soda. I went half, and added 4 lbs by weight. Checked 30 minutes later, and the TA is already reading 70. What gives with that?

- - - Updated - - -

ETA: yesterday's complete readings were
FC 3.5
CC 0
PH 7.3?
TA 50
CH 250
CYA 30

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your pool is smaller than you thought? You forgot to wipe the dropper between drops? You did what I do and forgot where I was when counting?

That is unusual for sure....just throwing ideas out to see what sticks.

Kim:cat:

I did not wipe the dropper between drops. FC was just now 1 when tested at 10:20 am, and PH was higher, at 7.5. it seems like when I check 12-24 hrs after adding chlorine that I'm below my 2 minimum. I'm wondering if I've let it dip below 2 too often, and something has started to grow. So today I'll keep an eye on it, and maybe look at another OCLT in my future?

Okay, before I really lock into maintainance mod, and let this thread rest (yay!)
My most recent complete readings (yesterday afternoon):

FC 2
CC 0
TC - just tested between 3-6 today with the OTO test
PH 7.6
TA 70
CH 250
CYA (Assuming the same at 30, cloudy yesterday and today)

Is there anything else you would recommend I adjust?
Ph is creeping up, so I'll be adding MA - question is, what would be a reasonable target - 7.2? 7.5?
I have other questions about stains and and a few other things, but I think I'll start new threads for those.

Also - We have yet to add water to the pool, as the heavens have thus far provided for our needs ;) We're getting close though - what is the best way to get an accurate handle on metals in pool water, fill water, and how to deal with that? I think we're going to need it. :/

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.