Not sure what to do!!

sgt173

Feb 10, 2015
Parrish,FL
I have always kept my readings within the guide lines here at TFP and always had perfect clear water and brushed it regularly and a few weeks ago.
I noticed I had some green spots on the bottom and sides that wont brush off no matter how hard I try so I thought I would SLAM the pool for mustard algae since I cant get them off.
tested this morning with my K2006 FAS-DPD kit.@ 9:30 am
FC 6.0
CC 0
PH 7.7
TA 75
CH 250
CYA 30-35

I have a 6100 Gal pool and the pool math said put (1.3 Gal 125 oz) to get it up to 22 for mustard algae shock.
I did it then went shopping for a few hours. Retested it at 1:45 and the FC was at 47 !!
Pool math has never failed me before and the reading I get are really close to what it says to put in.
So I'm not sure what to do now,but I will retest it later this evening for sure.

Now I feel really stupid I done the math wrong being in a hurry after test..My FC is now 19 NOT 47 Sorry Folks wrong.I will now go out and bring it up to 22.
I was wondering way nobody answered my question yet. LOL
Getting old isnt for sissys!!!
Carry on folks and "Remember Folks Freedom Isn't FREE !!!"

You do not use the mustard algae FC level for the entire SLAM process. Follow the normal SLAM Process process and FC level until you pass the three criteria. Then raise your FC level to mustard algae level for 24 hours.

You have to MAINTAIN that FC of regular slam level (16) until the SLAM passes the 3 criteria.

When I did mine I maintained a bit higher than that so there was no chance it would go below it.
(house was going on the market within 30 days, I didn't want to chance extending the slam)

Your CYA range implies the dot disappeared before the 30 line. So you round up to 40 ppm CYA.

You use 16 ppm FC SLAM level. Let your current FC get down to there (probably will be there by this evening) and maintain until you pass the three criteria as described in SLAM Process.

Then raise your FC to 24 ppm for 24 hours. Then use the mustard algae minimum of 6 ppm FC for several weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, mustard algae in not 'green spots'.

Read Pool School - Mustard Algae

Ok after I started doing this its started raining hard all day here now I need to let out about 3-4" of water before it overflows. Looks like it will rain a lot more tonight so I will drain it down to the normal level before I test FC and PH again before I go to bed then check it in the morning?

No need to test pH during a SLAM. The pH test is not valid with FC greater than 10 ppm.

I doubt it is time to try a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test as you just started the SLAM. So test and dose with liquid chlorine as often as you can.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.