Green pool - not sure what to try next

Aug 12, 2023
Cameron Park, CA
Green Pool.jpgPool Reading.jpg
My pool (22 x 12 x4.5' bestway about 7000 gal) turned this lovely shade of green about 2 weeks ago. Initially, it was an algal bloom (due to me not maintaining the chlorine level <-- using 1" clorox xtrablue tablets in a ChemConnect).

what I have done in the last week to try and battle the green (after just dosing chlorine, sweeping, and filtering):
- Constant filtration including a backwash of the sand filter
- 1 gallon of bleach (due to not having any shock --- since my order was delayed)
- sweeping
- Installing an intex pool return fountain to help provide better aeration (solar ones weren't cutting it, and the og setup didn't make the surface move due to the return being lower in the pool)
- 2 pounds of shock (Clorox 6-1 xtrablue2 shock) <- dosed over two days
- Last night - added 1.5 pints of MA to try and bring the pH down

*I did buy a pool vac that attaches to the intake, so that I could suck up any algae, but I can't see the bottom, so can't verify if it is doing anything.

I am not sure what I have here.

The test strip in the picture goes as follows from top to bottom with what I think the readings are:
Hardness - 250-450
Total Chlorine - 10-20 ppm (doing a titration/drop test the chlorine test comes out almost mt dew yellow)
Free Chlorine - 10-20 ppm
Bromine - 20-40 ppm
Alkalinity - 120-180
CA - 0-30
pH - 7.6 - 8.2

The chlorine value has been this high for about 4 days now, so I am not even sure if the green is algae at this point due to the concentration being more than enough to kill it.

Ideas? Recommendations? Looking for ideas before doing the hard reset of draining the pool and either starting fresh, or just have the family switch to a sprinkler for the rest of the summer and then try again in the spring.

thank you for any help yall can provide.

Welcome to the forum.
There is, but it appears you are a pool service person. And following the SLAM Process is not likely viable for you.

In your case, if they expect you to fix this, the best way is to drain it, clean it, and refill.

It will happen again as the method used is not sustainable.

OK -- great.
Liquid chlorine is bleach without additives. Normally found at Walmart (Pool Essential Chlorinating Liquid), Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, Pool Stores, etc.

If you can be there all day, then do the SLAM Process

To follow the SLAM process, you need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100/Pro or Taylor K2006C. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

I'll start it tomorrow.

Should I backwash the sand filter before or during the process, or should I just let it run and not mess with it until the SLAM is done?
Read the linked article.

You need a proper test kit. You will not be successful otherwise.

I'll start it tomorrow.

Should I backwash the sand filter before or during the process, or should I just let it run and not mess with it until the SLAM is done?
Don’t start it until you get a better test kit mentioned above. The strips won’t cut it. You can add 5ppm of the chlorinating liquid each day until it arrives and it’ll keep it from worsening.

Reactions: kimkats
Test kit I have (other than the strips) - 5 way test kit. Based on the recommendations in the SLAM video... guessing that this isn't the one I need.
To follow the SLAM process, you need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100/Pro or Taylor K2006C. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

Ok. Thanks for the help so far. I'll be ordering a Taylor K2006C since the TF-Pro looks to not be available at the moment. Looks like I'll be gathering the supplies this weekend and then starting next weekend.

In the intervening time, would brushing, filtering and normal maintenance help, or should I just turn the filter off, let the pool do what it is going to do for the week?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In the intervening time, would brushing, filtering and normal maintenance help, or should I just turn the filter off, let the pool do what it is going to do for the week?
Keep brushing and filtering. It will help. Once you get kit and show us test results, we can go with next steps.

Don‘t use that shock anymore. See if you can get your money back on that. The Xtrablue means copper - which is not good in your pool.

Side question: Water is from a well (with hard water). Reading about the shock used there is the potential that the green is from copper (which KellyFair mentioned the shock adding) in the water reacting with the chlorine.

Will the SLAM process fix the copper or metal based issue?

Not seeing it mentioned in the article.

If it is cloudy, it is algae.
You need a proper test kit to determine chemistry.
You can take a sample to a pool store for metals. Not likely accurate but typically will tell you if it is or isn't metals. Metals typically stain once you get to the level they show in the water as a color.

At 7000 gallons, I would drain the bulk of the water (leave 12-18" if not an Intex pool) and refill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.