New Pool Build - League City, TX - Help and opinions welcome

Do you have time to "play" in the places you fly to? I know you have "rules" about rest and such.

I am not sure I would like to be away from home that much BUT I do know that when we travel there is nothing better than coming home. You get that all of the time! LOL

Kim

I love Southwest so so much! They are such an amazing company! Got me out of New Orleans when Katrina hit. They were the only airline flying that day and they did an amazing job

They always go above and beyond!

I agree completely!!!! But Hobby???? It's just too far and too much of a nightmare for me. I guess it's a matter of what you're used to, and we don't fly out of Hobby often enough. I sure wish things would change and Southwest would base out of Bush. Right, but a girl can dream!
Suz.

I also love SW and love Hobby! I think we've had this discussion before, lol. Suz, I feel the same way about IAH. I avoid it if at all possible. For me, Hobby is quick and easy and only 20-25 minutes from the house.

My hubby used to fly SW a lot (he doesn't travel for work as much now), got his rapid rewards card early on - it is only 4 numbers!

Jtburf--
Ok, now you've worried me. Please give me more info so I can fully understand.

1) get the kitchen off the "slab"? Is that what you mean? The deck will still get another layer of spray deck overlay next week. Please explain a little more.

2) vents for the gas grill? It is going to be propane tank only. Is that ok?

Thanks for the comments! But I need more info because I'm currently out of town and my wife is just sending me these pictures.

Vents are simple, propane is more likely to leak,see pictures of both vents and PVC board risers.

10640-albums2451-picture80989.jpg

10640-albums2451-picture80990.jpg

This vent is low the previous was higher.
10640-albums2451-picture80988.jpg

John

Do you have time to "play" in the places you fly to? I know you have "rules" about rest and such.

I am not sure I would like to be away from home that much BUT I do know that when we travel there is nothing better than coming home. You get that all of the time! LOL

Kim

Our overnights are anywhere from 11 hours to 23 hours. Average is probably 14-15. So a lot times there is plenty of time to leave the hotel and go explore if you feel like it. I had 20 hours in Newark on Friday night the plan was for my wife to fly out with me (she flies for free of course) so we could go into Manhattan for the afternoon and evening and then she would fly back the next morning. But things fell through with child care and it didn't work out. But the pilots will sometimes go out in cities, sometimes with the flight attendants. It just depends on the situation and the city. At SWA we don't fly one particular route so I go to all of the SWA cities and see new things.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree completely!!!! But Hobby???? It's just too far and too much of a nightmare for me. I guess it's a matter of what you're used to, and we don't fly out of Hobby often enough. I sure wish things would change and Southwest would base out of Bush. Right, but a girl can dream!
Suz.

Actually Suz Southwest used to fly out of IAH. It was a smaller operation back then in the 1980s. And unfortunately I don't see us ever going back into IAH. But we'll have our new international terminal opening in October. Maybe it's time for you come down and check us out! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Flounder, are you going to get any of the international routes from Hobby?

Marla,

Yes. I will be flying some of the international stuff. But I will also continue flying the stuff in the US. They are still in the process of figuring out exactly how they are going to schedule us though.

- - - Updated - - -

Vents are simple, propane is more likely to leak,see pictures of both vents and PVC board risers.

John

John,

Thanks so much for the help. I will bring it up to the builder tomorrow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Too bad about the babysitter falling through :( That would have been fun!

Let us know what your builder says. I am very interested in the PVC board risers. I tried looking them up but most of the hits are on pipe or the steps for stairs.

Kim

Too bad about the babysitter falling through :( That would have been fun!

Let us know what your builder says. I am very interested in the PVC board risers. I tried looking them up but most of the hits are on pipe or the steps for stairs.

Kim

Kim, its shown in black or you would not see it on the website.

Homedepot

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Veranda-...g-0731108003/203822138?keyword=PVC+1x6+boards

100% PVC window, door and garage surrounds, trim, fascia and decorative moulding provides a beautiful, durable option to costly wood trim. Whether you're building a new home or remodeling and existing, there are Royal Moulding trim products to suit virtually any taste or style to give every home a unique look all its own. Add moulding to your home adds value and a nice finishing touch to any room.
  • PVC has superior nailing and gluing
  • Product finish: primed
  • Product is moisture proof, termite proof and does not promote mold and mildew
  • Installing PVC saves time and labor
  • Product installs easily with standard wood working tools

John

Sorry about being a little late on the topic, one thing people often overlook is that they treat propane and natural gas the same, they are not. Propane is significantly heavier than air and will settle into the lowest point and wait for an ignition source, by contrast natural gas is much lighter and will tend to rise and dissipate into the air much easier.

Ike

Hey y'all!

Sorry I've been off the website for a while. It's been really busy with the kids, school, cub scouts, baseball, football, work and then my wife just took a long term 2nd grade substitute job for the next few months. Oh yeah, and that whole pool build thing. :)

Well, the rain in Houston hasn't helped my cause one bit. Then on the few sunny days we've had my PB's subs were off working other jobs. I have made some progress on the patio/kitchen and I'll post some pics but it's still feels like it's dragging.

Framers are here working on patio ceiling. Roofers are supposed to come today at 11am but of course that's when the rain is supposed to start. :shock:

New fence today and tomorrow.
Painter tomorrow through Tuesday
Spray Deck 9/16-17
Granite 9/16
Electric trim, lights 9/18
Grass/landscaping 9/21
Plaster 9/21-22

Lol. Of course this is the schedule if there isn't a drop of rain. 100% today, 80% tomorrow. And 50% every day next week. Maybe we'll be swimming by Halloween. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Nice to see another aviator :)

Hey appelbe, what do you fly?

Wow your backyard is turning out beautiful!

I too love SWA. I haven't flown them in a long time. My family has gotten too large to fly. Flying costs more than driving for us now and I surprisingly love driving cross country. The first time I tried it I was fretting it but it actually works for me better than flying!

I do fly about 2 times a year overseas and I wish that SWA had European flights. I can't tell you how many times I have had to run all over airports to get home. I haven't had that experience with SWA they always seem to get me home with minimal stress even if there are issues.

I have a very good friend who is a pilot that flies for AA on the new 777-300. He said it is so long that you can't see the back from the cockpit. It is crazy long. I have been on one once and I was so stressed from missing another flight hand getting rerouted through LAX I wasn't paying much attention. I love the new 787 as long as I don't have to be stuck in economy. As long as I am at least in premium economy or better I am a happy camper.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.