New Build - DFW

Curious of the height of raised bond beam and are you planning on any type of water feature on that wall?
no water feature, I believe its 12inches due to the sloping in my yard they need a retaining wall to drain stuff away from the pool.

I am not a business owner but seems like all of the equipment i can buy online for cheaper than what they have it in the quote, is it normal to markup equipment as well? I am thinking of just getting the robotic cleaner on my own to save $4-500.

3.5' is very shallow. I'd suggest 4' for the shallow end.

No, just relocate the one depicted in the plan.
Where/how would you recommend?

For the depth i kept pushing for 4 but i am being told off the tanning ledge it would be to much a slope to get to 4ft. I have kids 2 and 4 as well, and my wife is only 5'4 so not sure if 4ft would be shallow to them. I might have them raise it to like 3.7-3.8 or something

I am not a business owner but seems like all of the equipment i can buy online for cheaper than what they have it in the quote, is it normal to markup equipment as well? I am thinking of just getting the robotic cleaner on my own to save $4-500.
You will find Pool Builders typically charge double the price you can buy it for. For that markup the builder should include installation and warranty support.

Many manufacturers provide little if any warranty for equipment not professionally installed. Check the manufacters warranty for equipment you are buying.

A pool builder provides little value in marking up pool cleaners.

Amin,

I would not 'buy' a robot cleaner from a pool builder...

I would make sure they install a suction side cleaner port in the side wall of the pool, even if you never use it. Should just cost a few bucks at the most and good to have 'just in case'. No reason to buy the actual suction side cleaner itself..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Where/how would you recommend?

For the depth i kept pushing for 4 but i am being told off the tanning ledge it would be to much a slope to get to 4ft. I have kids 2 and 4 as well, and my wife is only 5'4 so not sure if 4ft would be shallow to them. I might have them raise it to like 3.7-3.8 or something
My wife is 5'2" and our pool starts at 3'8". Its not bad, but if I had it to do over I would start it out at 4' since that is where the adults gravitate towards. The kids are with wherever and typically hang out in the deep end (6') or are jumping off of the wall into the deep end.

Amin,

I would not 'buy' a robot cleaner from a pool builder...

I would make sure they install a suction side cleaner port in the side wall of the pool, even if you never use it. Should just cost a few bucks at the most and good to have 'just in case'. No reason to buy the actual suction side cleaner itself..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks, i actually had him remove it.

My wife is 5'2" and our pool starts at 3'8". Its not bad, but if I had it to do over I would start it out at 4' since that is where the adults gravitate towards. The kids are with wherever and typically hang out in the deep end (6') or are jumping off of the wall into the deep end.
tried to convince my wife but i have been losing that battle for 11 years

Reactions: JJ_Tex
For the depth i kept pushing for 4 but i am being told off the tanning ledge it would be to much a slope to get to 4ft.
I don't see the problem. My shelf goes straight to 4-5'. I would add a little step to help transition from the pool to the shelf.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Verbally my pool builder was agreeable to the following payment terms. I am not doing decking, hence plaster stage. Plan on doing turf after they are done with the pool through a sub.

30% at excavation
30% at shotcrete
30% at plaster
10% at final punch out after pool is running and passed final inspection.

Thoughts?

Verbally my pool builder was agreeable to the following payment terms. I am not doing decking, hence plaster stage. Plan on doing turf after they are done with the pool through a sub.

30% at excavation
30% at shotcrete
30% at plaster
10% at final punch out after pool is running and passed final inspection.

Thoughts?
It is better then most.

I would condition the plaster payment on all equipment having been delivered to the job site and in your possession.

any thoughts on doing the pool tech attendant in-lieu of the iAqualink
I have not seen a lot of activity on the Attendant. Here is a link to another thread discussing this. Generally, the automation side of this seemed promising, but if you want to use its chemical monitoring aspect it certainly is not going to beat old fashioned test kit testing in terms of accuracy and reliability.

Reactions: amindu786
This will be a dumb question but in a salt water pool is salt the only chemical that you add or do you still dose with other stuff like muriatic acid, chlorine or whatever other chemicals that exist that are to be added to a pool?

This will be a dumb question but in a salt water pool is salt the only chemical that you add or do you still dose with other stuff like muriatic acid, chlorine or whatever other chemicals that exist that are to be added to a pool?
You still need all of the same chemicals. The only difference is that a salt pool generates its own chlorine, where as a non-salt pool you have to add chlorine.

Having grown up taking care of non-salt pools, and now owning a salt pool, I would hands down pick the salt pool. My "adding" chlorine involves pulling out my phone and making the adjustments to the SWCG (the thing that generates chlorine). I can do all of that in less than 30 seconds and it does not involve me going to the store, lugging chlorine around, hoping I don't spill it on my clothes, etc.

why is it recommended to oversize the salt cell? My PB is stating that PLC700 (12K gallons), Pool is 12.5K is sufficient vs going upto PLC1400 (40K gallons). Thanks.

A 1x cell can (probably) produce enough daily FC in the peak season if it's run 24 hours a day. With a 10k hour expected lifespan, you'll reach end of life pretty quick with a long season. You're also forced to 24/7 pump costs if you weren't planning on it.

A 2x cell produces the same amount of FC in 12 hours, effectively doubling its lifespan for you, and possibly saving 12 hours of pump run time costs.

3X does the same in 8 hours, 4X in 6 hours, etc.

I would have gone 3x in NY for ROI. With a long hot season, I'd go 4X because the cost increase to upsize is considerably less than the lifespan gained. A 20k to 40k gets 100% more lifespan for about 20% more cost. A 40k to 60k gets 50% more lifespan for another 20% in cost. A 20k to 60k gets 300% more lifespan for 44% more cost (compounded). Prices change by the day sometimes and sales only make the larger cells better deals.

Reactions: pjt
My PB is stating that PLC700 (12K gallons), Pool is 12.5K is sufficient vs going up to PLC1400 (40K gallons)
Amin,

Sorry, but you pool builder is an idiot.. Cells are rated when running at 100% and for 24 hours...

In the DFW area you need a cell that is rated for at least 2 x the volume of your pool.

Even if you run the pump 24/7 (like I do) you don't want the cell to be running at 100%..

Don't try to cheap out on the important things..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: pjt

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support