New Build - DFW

Be prepared for every step to be very "fluid". And don't be surprised when a crew shows up unannounced. I added a driveway alarm to alert me to any visitors so I could easily tell when a crew (or person) arrived. Our tile and coping crew would arrive about 5:30-6am and eat breakfast in their truck waiting on daylight. Same crew did two small retaining walls towards the end of the project - same arrival time.

Other times - told crew would be there on certain day - no show - no call.

Reactions: Newdude
Be prepared for every step to be very "fluid". And don't be surprised when a crew shows up unannounced. I added a driveway alarm to alert me to any visitors so I could easily tell when a crew (or person) arrived. Our tile and coping crew would arrive about 5:30-6am and eat breakfast in their truck waiting on daylight. Same crew did two small retaining walls towards the end of the project - same arrival time.

Other times - told crew would be there on certain day - no show - no call.
Thanks that is good to know. I think it helps set expectations as to not have any expectations in this process. PB has assured me that we should be up and running by memorial day which is good enough for us, that gives enough time for the shotcrete (21 days) and plaster to cure.

Well today was an exciting day, made some changes on the spot while they were digging such as the depth of the water on the tanning ledge from 6" to 9", we wanted 12" but with the steps that would have made the ledge start in between 2 steps and looked odd. Decided to remove one bubbler, and do a sheer descent instead, i know most said it was a waste but the wife really wanted it. They are doing rebar tomorrow, inspection on Monday, and are projected to shoot the shell on Wednesday.

dig.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
looking to get some guidance as i am a little lost. We originally had 2 bubblers and changed it to 1 bubbler, but added sheer descents. In the change order i see an additional neverlube valve and a jandy actuator valve. Question 1 isn't the actuator a value so is the neverlube valve needed? IF we got rid of one bubbler wouldn't that have a valve that was being used for that application? I have 4 neverlube valves already included this would be an additional 5th valve for the descents and an actuator? Thanks.

Last edited:
The actuator is a motor that sits on top of the valve to make it automated.
Thanks…we are supposed to have thunderstorms on Monday evening the PB mentioned they will be “flashing” the pool to avoid any chance of cave-ins. I asked him what that means and he said they will put shotcrete along the perimeter to hold it in place then come back and finish the rest. Would this process cause any issues in the overall structure or strength of the pool? Thanks

If done correctly, there should be no problem. Shotcrete has no cold joints, it’s a monolithic application due to the force of the product application.
There are specific requirements for this to happen, such as the flash coat must be power washed, have a rough finish (minimum 1/8”) and be Saturation Surface Dry prior to the the second application of Shotcrete whenever that would be, there’s no time limit between applications.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Caps should be put on those pieces of rebar sticking up. They are a major safety hazard.

full

Is this something I should do or are you saying they should have capped it?
You should do it because they didn't.

Technically it's their liability but that won't remove the rebar through your lung if you slip out there. (Or anyone else).

Is this something I should do or are you saying they should have capped it? Inspection is on Monday.

Does not matter who does it.

If someone trips and falls on the rebar it can spear through their body.

Protect you, your family, and your workers.

Is this something I should do or are you saying they should have capped it? Inspection is on Monday.
They're probably not required for inspection. Sad but true. Commercial construction requires it as does their insurance. Residential rebar can hurt you just as bad. You can get them cheap on Amazon usually in several days or you can ask the contractor to pick them up at their rebar supplier.

Chris

Does not matter who does it.
They're probably not required for inspection. Sad but true. Commercial construction requires it as does their insurance. Residential rebar can hurt you just as bad. You can get them cheap on Amazon usually in several days or you can ask the contractor to pick them up at their rebar supplier.

Chris

If someone trips and falls on the rebar it can spear through their body.

Protect you, your family, and your workers.

You should do it because they didn't.

Technically it's their liability but that won't remove the rebar through your lung if you slip out there. (Or anyone else).

I ordered some, to confirm just the 4 poles that are exposed sticking out ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support