New Build - DFW

Amin,

Sorry, but your pool builder is an idiot.. Cells are rated when running at 100% and for 24 hours...

In the DFW area you need a cell that is rated for at least 2 x the volume of your pool.

Even if you run the pump 24/7 (like I do) you don't want the cell to be running at 100%..

Don't try to cheap out on the important things..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks I told him to quote the 40k gallon one and that’s what I will go with

Last edited by a moderator:
A 1x cell can (probably) produce enough daily FC in the peak season if it's run 24 hours a day. With a 10k hour expected lifespan, you'll reach end of life pretty quick with a long season. You're also forced to 24/7 pump costs if you weren't planning on it.

A 2x cell produces the same amount of FC in 12 hours, effectively doubling its lifespan for you, and possibly saving 12 hours of pump run time costs.

3X does the same in 8 hours, 4X in 6 hours, etc.

I would have gone 3x in NY for ROI. With a long hot season, I'd go 4X because the cost increase to upsize is considerably less than the lifespan gained. A 20k to 40k gets 100% more lifespan for about 20% more cost. A 40k to 60k gets 50% more lifespan for another 20% in cost. A 20k to 60k gets 300% more lifespan for 44% more cost (compounded). Prices change by the day sometimes and sales only make the larger cells better deals.
Thanks for the explanation makes sense

Reactions: Newdude
Thanks I told him to quote the 40k gallon one and that’s what I will go with
And typically the price increase is to size up the SWCG is a few hundred dollars, which buys you year(s) and gives you the flexibility to not run it at 100%.

Reactions: amindu786
looking for some guidance on depth, i have the shallow end at 4 and deep end at 5'2". Is the deep end a good depth or should i reduce it to 5'. Thanks.

we are finalizing the drawings and plans, upsized the pool to 16x30 from 15x30, 5ft tanning ledge. We currently have 2 PAL lights in the pool. We are thinking that maybe we should have some light on the ledge as well, the PB sent over the attached picture. We didn't consider adding anything to the steps, is that something we should consider or is that overkill/waste of money? We def think having one of the ledge would be good but unsure of the steps? It is about $800 per light all in. Thanks.

Attachments

• light.jpg
    light.jpg
    508.9 KB · Views: 22
Lights on the steps are not typical from the jobs that I am familiar with, the steps will be slightly darker than the surrounding areas.
With the location of the surrounding lights it will have reflected light in the area.
I like to think of lighting as a way to bring out the beauty of the pool and stairs are more of a tool than something you want to showcase.

Looking for thoughts on adding sheer descents or not? It would be 1 36” descent running on current variable 2.7hp pump( PB mentioned running it at 1750). We do have 2 bubblers on the tanning ledge and would only really turn it on when the kids are in the pool vs running it all the time (I realize running it all the time would raise PH, increase scaling etc). Any thoughts for either yay or nay? Thanks

Most people find that they rarely turn on the water features after the first year or so.

If you have money burning a hole in your pocket then mount it on a wall.

Thanks, should mention our retaining wall is only 10 inches, I think they would mount it on that.

I read the link and didn’t realize bubblers are also water feature, so would you suggest removing those from the tanning ledge as well? My kids are toddlers so we thought it would be something fun for them to play on.

I read the link and didn’t realize bubblers are also water feature, so would you suggest removing those from the tanning ledge as well?

It depends where you want to spend money with gadgets that don;t provide much function tot he pool.
My kids are toddlers so we thought it would be something fun for them to play on.

Better to put in an extra return or two in the shallow end that you can connect fountains or sprayer to. Then you can change things as your kids interests change.

DIY_Aerator1.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looking for thoughts on adding sheer descents or not? It would be 1 36” descent running on current variable 2.7hp pump( PB mentioned running it at 1750). We do have 2 bubblers on the tanning ledge and would only really turn it on when the kids are in the pool vs running it all the time (I realize running it all the time would raise PH, increase scaling etc). Any thoughts for either yay or nay? Thanks
Water features are nice to have 1 or 2 times a year. Our first year we ran ours a fair amount when people were over, but I think I ran ours once last year and ended turning them off for the noise so we could talk/listen to music.

Will your bubblers be adjustable? I have mine running all the time, but turned way down so they just provide a small bit of water movement on the ledge/keep leaves away, but not enough to mess with the pH.

Reactions: StuartBound
Water features are nice to have 1 or 2 times a year. Our first year we ran ours a fair amount when people were over, but I think I ran ours once last year and ended turning them off for the noise so we could talk/listen to music.

Will your bubblers be adjustable? I have mine running all the time, but turned way down so they just provide a small bit of water movement on the ledge/keep leaves away, but not enough to mess with the pH.
I think they will be adjustable, i had asked them to put a separate jandy neverlube valve on it, and i have automation not sure if that would also let you modify the levels.

It depends where you want to spend money with gadgets that don;t provide much function tot he pool.

Better to put in an extra return or two in the shallow end that you can connect fountains or sprayer to. Then you can change things as your kids interests change.

DIY_Aerator1.jpg

They are going to add 2 additional returns does that cause any issues having so many returns?

I think they will be adjustable, i had asked them to put a separate jandy neverlube valve on it, and i have automation not sure if that would also let you modify the levels.

They are going to add 2 additional returns does that cause any issues having so many returns?
If you have a valve on each return line, or sets of 2 returns, then there's no such thing as too many, within reason of course. Valves give you a lot of flexibility to play with the water. You can close them off as needed to assist with the water circulation pattern, or chemical mixing, or provide extra power and velocity to return mounted fountains and things like that. If you have too many returns without valves, then the flow velocity out of each return will be reduced and almost equal on all of them, and there's no real benefit to that. If your budget can handle it, then 100% go with valves and add another return or 2.

If you have a valve on each return line, or sets of 2 returns, then there's no such thing as too many, within reason of course. Valves give you a lot of flexibility to play with the water. You can close them off as needed to assist with the water circulation pattern, or chemical mixing, or provide extra power and velocity to return mounted fountains and things like that. If you have too many returns without valves, then the flow velocity out of each return will be reduced and almost equal on all of them, and there's no real benefit to that. If your budget can handle it, then 100% go with valves and add another return or 2.

Thanks i just want to make sure i understand. On the bubblers they will add valves that can turn them on or off, etc, I dont think they are adding any valves to the additional 2 returns that are being put inside the pool. I am new to all this so just want to make sure i understand and am not making a mistake. thanks.

Thanks i just want to make sure i understand. On the bubblers they will add valves that can turn them on or off, etc, I dont think they are adding any valves to the additional 2 returns that are being put inside the pool. I am new to all this so just want to make sure i understand and am not making a mistake. thanks.
No worries. Building a pool can be a bit nerve racking. Your pool is the same dimensions as mine.
So, if I understand correctly.
1) you have a couple of bubblers on a tanning ledge, and they have valves
2) There are 2 returns in the main part of the pool. No Valves.

If my understanding is right, I would indeed add 2 more returns, giving you 2 on one long side of the pool and 2 on the other.

Even though it would be OK not to add them, it would just be..... well blah, just OK.
Question: If you dont add them, will you be 2nd guessing yourself for as long as you have that pool?

If you do add 2 more returns, then here is my suggestion.
In the sketch below, the BLUE lines are the returns. There are only 2 on one side of the pool and there is a valve for the return line.

To add 2 more returns, just mirror this diagram to show 1 line with 2 returns on the other side of the pool, and have a valve on that return line. I think you get the idea?....
1711126156582.png

No worries. Building a pool can be a bit nerve racking. Your pool is the same dimensions as mine.
So, if I understand correctly.
1) you have a couple of bubblers on a tanning ledge, and they have valves
2) There are 2 returns in the main part of the pool. No Valves.

If my understanding is right, I would indeed add 2 more returns, giving you 2 on one long side of the pool and 2 on the other.

Even though it would be OK not to add them, it would just be..... well blah, just OK.
Question: If you dont add them, will you be 2nd guessing yourself for as long as you have that pool?

If you do add 2 more returns, then here is my suggestion.
In the sketch below, the BLUE lines are the returns. There are only 2 on one side of the pool and there is a valve for the return line.

To add 2 more returns, just mirror this diagram to show 1 line with 2 returns on the other side of the pool, and have a valve on that return line. I think you get the idea?....
View attachment 560048
Thanks for the clarification. There will be 5 returns in the pool and I am adding an additional 2 more on the shallow side from the recommendation of ajw22(probably across from each other) to use to plug in water features/fountains etc.

Reactions: Divin Dave
To those that have built pools is this normal or does it raise a flag. Our dig day has moved twice was supposed to be on Tuesday but it rained a lot in DFW on Monday so PB said the excavation crew had to push it to Wednesday due to the ground where they dump the mud is too wet for them to gain access. Then today I get a text half an hour ago from PB saying excavator did not finish their current job so they have to go back tomorrow to finish and our dig will now be on Thursday.

To those that have built pools is this normal or does it raise a flag. Our dig day has moved twice was supposed to be on Tuesday but it rained a lot in DFW on Monday so PB said the excavation crew had to push it to Wednesday due to the ground where they dump the mud is too wet for them to gain access. Then today I get a text half an hour ago from PB saying excavator did not finish their current job so they have to go back tomorrow to finish and our dig will now be on Thursday.
That is normal in construction.

+1 on it not raising a red flag. We received quite a bit of rain yesterday and while today was sunny and a great day, it is still very muddy. I played in a charity golf tournament earlier today and it was cart path only. If golf carts can damage the ground, imagine what heavy machinery would do to your yard or even worse, if it slips in the mud and hits your fence, house, A/C unit, etc.

The forecast looks good the rest of the week so hopefully they can get you dug, rebared and gunited quickly before the next rain.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support