Looking for guidance on Pool Quote & Equipment (SF Bay Area)

product50

Gold Supporter
Dec 27, 2023
East Palo Alto, CA
Planning to get a pool installed in our backyard. We are in SF Bay Area - so prices will be on the higher side.

Would really appreciate if people can give some guidance on the pool equipment used as well as the POOL COVER. Our builder recommends Jandy and even uses their pool covers (cover-pools is owned by Jandy and integrated into their automation system).

Also anything missing out here or something which doesn't look right?

Quote: $200,000 (North California) Pool Size: 12’6” x 40’0”, 437 square feet (pool) with automated cover Pool Depth: 3’6” x 8’0” Spa Size: 6’0” x 8’0”

Plumbing Specifications • Non-corrosive plumbing (Sch. 40 or greater) below ground as required • Builder to install hose bib on the equipment for emergency fire protection and lowering of pool water. • Manual fill line with brass anti-siphon valve installed. • Never lube Jandy valves (5 year guarantee on diverter seal) • 2 1⁄2’’ Pool Suction and Return Lines at 2” • Two Deluxe Anti-Vortex main drain covers in pool • One Skimmer in pool to collect floating debris. • Spa suction and returns at 2 1⁄2” , airline at 2” • Six rotary style spa jets included • 2” Gas line from meter location to equipment location included. Includes 1” stub at new firepit location.

Gunite • Specially engineered shotcrete structure, minimum 6-sack mix pneumatically applied • Continuous gunite inspection by crew supervision. • 22 sq. ft. of shallow end steps included per plan • 4’ loveseat with walkout steps in deep end included • Custom Bi-Level Seating in spa included

Electrical • 30amp main electrical run to equipment from meter location to equipment • Approved junction boxes for pool & spa lights at equipment • One convenience GFI outlet within 6-20 feet of pool edge at equipment • Pool Builder to hook up motors, lights, heater, filter, and control panel. • Four Jandy nicheless LED lights in pool one in spa included • Jandy PDA-PS6 automated remote control w/Jandy iAqualink smartphone controls included • Cover keyswitch at house included

Masonry • 6” Band of Standard Waterline Tile in pool and spa ($8/sq. ft. material allowance) • 16” x 24” Travertine coping included ($16/sq. ft. material allowance included) • Colored grout included

Equipment Specifications • Pump: One Jandy Stealth 2 h.p. ePump variable Speed Pump Included • Filter: Jandy 460 sq. ft. CV Cartridge filter for the optimum filtering and convenience for the homeowner • Heater: Jandy Jxi 400,000 BTU heater included • Air Blower: Polaris 1 h.p. air blower for spa jets included • Control System: Jandy PDA-PS6 automated remote control with Jandy iAqualink smartphone controls included • Light: Four Jandy nicheless LED lights in pool one in spa included • Pool Sanitation: Jandy Aquapure Salt Chlorine Generator included • Pool Cleaner: Polaris TR28P pool sweep included • CoverPools automatic pool cover with brackets for coping overlay included. He mentioned about some stainless steel cable system here (which will be an upgrade).

Welcome to TFP.
Please read these articles for help with new pool construction.
How to Pick a Pool Builder
How to Pick a Pool Builder

How to Select Pool Equipment
How to select pool equipment - Further Reading

Construction Tips & Best Practices
Construction Best Practices - Further Reading

Watering New Gunite & Concrete
Watering New Gunite and Concrete - Further Reading

Pool Start-Up Guidelines
Plaster Start-Up Guides - Further Reading

One Skimmer in pool to collect floating debris.
Suggest this be 2 skimmers and have each independently plumbed back to the equipment pad

Jandy PDA-PS6 automated remote control w/Jandy iAqualink smartphone controls included
It would be helpful to have the actual model number. However, the PDA is a basic remote control. It would be best to have the RS system with a iQ3.0 antenna which provides internet link to your computer or to a phone app.
Please see Jandy Aqualink RS - Further Reading

Pool Sanitation: Jandy Aquapure Salt Chlorine Generator included
The AquaPure is a good SWCG, ensure you get the AP1400 which is rated to 40k gals. The larger rating is better for longer term use. see Jandy AquaPure SWG - Further Reading

I am sure others will chime in.

Welcome to TFP.

I would insist on at least two skimmers so if one has a problem your pool is not shutdown.

Skimmers should be placed into the prevailing wind.

I would want 60 amp electrical to the Aqualink, not 30.

What size Aquapure cell? 700 or 1400?

What specific model LED lights?

Jandy equipment is ok, not great. Aqualink cannnot get firmware updates without replacing boards; cannot be programmed with the outdoor control panel; get the RS system, not PDA.

Last edited:
Thanks the advice - I will insist on 2 skimmers in this case.

Also, if not Aqualink what would recommend?

Lastly, any recommendations on the automated cover? How is cover pool? Anything else I should be looking at?

Builder is also giving 10yr warranty. Is that normal?

I prefer Pentair equipment and IntelliCenter automation. Hayward with OmniPL is also good. Builders prefer Jandy as they make more selling it.

10 year warranty covers what exactly? Equipment? Plaster? Pipes leaking? You confident the company will exist for the neX t 10 years?

I will check with the builder on Pentair equipment. Any specific models I should keep in mind?

Attached is the picture of the pool plan.

10yr warranty is for structural guarantee. Pool equipment is 3yrs warranty. The company has been in business for 50+ years now - so I am somewhat confident that the company will still be there.

Any inputs on the pool cover? Any specific brand I should look for there? There are mature oak trees around the pool - so cover is a must for us.
1705715439375.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Got the pool builder to agree to Jandy RS and 2 skimmers.

He is still insisting on Jandy equipment though. Mentioned that Jandy is more user friendly, better service when needed, and they do more with their equipment to set it up for better hydraulics (larger basket, ability to do versaflo, larger unions, etc.). I am not sure how much to fight it.

He also is insisting on Cover Pools automated cover as it is one of the only one which uses stainless steel cables and is designed to be corrosion resistant with salt water pools.

Another question which I had is to figure out the depth of the pool. So far we are thinking of 3.5 ft to 6 ft. But I have also heard about sport pool which are deeper in the middle and shallower on either sides. That seems attractive too. We are primarily building the pool for the kids (where shallower ends would be better) though with the length of 40ft, we also are planning to use it as a lap pool for my wife.

He is still insisting on Jandy equipment though.
My guess it is because they have that equipment already in stock just waiting to be used. I went back up to look at your equipment list. I don't see many model numbers. That needs to be asked and shared so we can make sure it will work for your pool.

Depth-The sport pool can be a bunch of fun for volley ball games and Watermelon ball (If you have not seen this game make sure to look it up! Best pool game ever!) The main thing about a sport pool is to have the "deep" area clearly marked and only allow cannon balls in that area. You can do that by having different colored coping stones put in that area or something that will make it stand out.

Got the pool builder to agree to Jandy RS and 2 skimmers.

He is still insisting on Jandy equipment though. Mentioned that Jandy is more user friendly, better service when needed, and they do more with their equipment to set it up for better hydraulics (larger basket, ability to do versaflo, larger unions, etc.). I am not sure how much to fight it.

He also is insisting on Cover Pools automated cover as it is one of the only one which uses stainless steel cables and is designed to be corrosion resistant with salt water pools.
The Jandy AquaLink RS automation system is workable. Many of us on the forum have it. Mine is over 20 yrs old but I upgraded the main board several years ago to have the full wireless capabilities for a phone app and also via computer.

Some of the justification for Jandy is a stretch and a system such as Pentair would be the same.

Cover pools is owned by Jandy - so the builder is simply supplying all Jandy equipment which may have an incentive to him from Jandy. I have a relative with a Cover pool and they are pleased with it however they did have to have the motor/linkage changed out within a year (under warranty). The SS cables are good and still functional.

Another question which I had is to figure out the depth of the pool. So far we are thinking of 3.5 ft to 6 ft. But I have also heard about sport pool which are deeper in the middle and shallower on either sides. That seems attractive too. We are primarily building the pool for the kids (where shallower ends would be better) though with the length of 40ft, we also are planning to use it as a lap pool for my wife.
I just built a 3.5 to 6 ft pool. I wish I would have gone 4 to 6.

Reactions: kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.