I'm screwed? 300 CYA

If Dichlor powder or Trichlor pucks were used to add chlorine, they also add CYA. The FC is consumed by organics in the water and the sun, but the CYA builds up. Which is why wer tend to steer people away from those forms of chlorine.

So how do I know if I already drained 90%?
Do I put the pump in deep end or shallow end?
Read that don't drain more than 1 ft off shallowest end ... and also read to lower the sump pump into the deepest end.

I read that doing it improperly may cause the pool to "float". That sounds bad.
How do I know if I have concrete, gunite or vinyl ... thought I had plaster?

well the amount your able to drain at one time on an in ground pool is based off of ground water levels. If you drain to much with a high ground water level you will "float" the pool and destroy it. Partial drains you will never get the same effect as draining 90% at one time. You will have to do a partial drain, refill then test CYA. if it is still too high partial drain and refill and test again. As long as you are circulating the pool the cya will mix with untreated water and level will drop with each partial. repeat the process until you reach a 30-50ppm level for regular pool or 70-80 for SWG

Remember, you can do the tarp drain/refill process. I successfully did this last week, it only took 2 days and it was very easy. My CYA was around 225+. I drained around 90% of my water which brought my CYA down to 0 and I'm currently running with a CYA of 30 and things are looking great! Feel free to message me with questions, I'd be happy to explain.

So... I'm doing tarp drain/refill process and concerned if the tarp would be impossibly heavy to pull with all the weight of water?
No. Not if you push the edges down under the surface when you're done. Then you have water on both sides and it can spill out as you pull on one end. It will be no different than pulling some windblown trash out of the pool. It'll just be the weight of the tarp.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
limdoan, I was exactly where you are with the drain/refill scenario this time last year. CYA was sky high due
to being "pool stored" and my own ignorance. Found TFP and my education began! I ended up doing two partial
drains about 2/3 each time. Got CYA to 50 finally. Don't drain fully. Pool can lift up out of ground depending on
the level of your water table. Just want to tell you to persevere. It is completely worth it. My pool is a pleasure
to take care of now and looks spectacular! Everyone here will help you.

I don;t know what to tell you. Generally as the water beneath gets pumped out and the tarp sinks, the water above fills it. The hole complicates things. Make sure the tarp is free to slip down, otherwise it will stay put and the fresh water will all go through as if there was just air beneath it.

You could put the pump hose in a 5 gallon bucket and time how long it take to fill it up. Then determine how long it would take to pump out the desired amount, and pump for that long.

For example, if it takes 30 seconds to pump out 5 gallons and you want to pump out 10,000 gallons. It then takes you, 6 second per gallon. 60,000 seconds (1,000 minutes or 16.6 hours) for 10,000 gallons.

Math is fun

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.