I'm screwed? 300 CYA

limdoan

Mar 8, 2017
La Mesa, CA
I have 0% experience in pool. Just got a house with pool 6 months ago.
San Diego, CA. 16k gallons approx; plaster; inground; spa attached.

Did little research and dumped 4 qt of bleach (8.25%). FC was 0 now 2 or 3 (via Poolmaster 5-way test kit).
Went to Leslie's to get water tested.
Result:
FC=4, TC=4
CH=400
CYA=200 (but guy said it's actually about 300 and 200 is max in their computer)
TA=70 (but my test kit says 15 drops=150)
pH=8 (was 7.5ish before bleach dump)
Phosphates=600 (guy said should be #1 priority to lower to 100 ppb)

Did poolmath and says to replace 87% water. Lol. How much would that cost?

Leslie says to use Bio Active but guy didn't talk much about this.
Advise please?

Thanks!!

Hi! I'm new too, but want to say i was in the same position. I'm in Temecula by the way! I can tell you this, first off get a good test kit so you can get real numbers, either the T-2006 or TK-100. There are many links to it here on this site. The only way to reduce CYA is to drain. Mine was 290 or more. I did a drain this week and now it's 90. I will continue to do small/gradual water replacements over the next weeks. The high CYA is from using powder shock and chlorine pucks. Now, thanks to TFP, I'm only using liquid chlorine. Someone will answer your post and stick around, they will get you and your pool all good!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and ignore the pool store guy. Phosphates are not an issue here on TFP. Go check out "Pool Schhol" until someone experienced chimes in!!!

I would also wait for your own test results, but i suspect you will have to drain like 90%. If its really going to take you 125 to do a refill, I would just go for it and start fresh. When your test kit arrives also test the tap water so you know where you are starting from.

Felipe

I drained and refilled my 16,000 gallon pool last month and it cost me about $80 extra on my water bill. Not sure how different your water prices are, but it's refilling is a lot cheaper than the extra cost of chemicals you will spend with such high CYA.

Although, before refilling you need to get your own test kit and not rely on the pool store. There are two kits they recommend here that will get you on track.

Also, phosphates don't matter with a well balanced pool.

Thanks for info.

Additional questions
1) Should I drain 90% in one day or gradual? When do I fill it back up?
2) What raises CYA (I know Dichlor/Trichlor does) and is there a way to prevent it from raising?
3) Is this test kit a good one: Taylor K-2006? It's very expensive to me $60+ (Amazon). How long will it last? Is it overkill or can I just get this https://www.amazon.com/AquaChek-551...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=CZMR4ZMNH16J95QKVCRW

You could do but I would wait for one of the recommended test kits so that you can accurately ascertain your CYA levels at the same time. You can fill it back up as you drain or straight after.

CYA is raised by adding stabilised chlorine (dichlor or trichlor) or you can add it as a stand alone chemical (the preferred method) of adding CYA.

Finally yes you do need recommended test kit- I would go for the TF-100 which will give you more bang for your buck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here we go:
1) All at once is faster than splitting it up. But there is one caution, it depends on the ground water level around the pool.
2) To prevent it from raising, use only liquid bleach or liquid chlorine. They are actually the same thing, just different names because of different strengths. You could also install a SWG which makes the chlorine for you from salt.
3) The K-2006 is the minimum kit we would recommend. You would do better to get the TF-100 from Tftestkits.net. That's the one I use and it has enough testing stuff for more than one season.

I feel your pain! :(

I'm in the process of an almost total drain. I went the route of the tarp method because I have a vinyl liner. Not as painful as it seems and I CAN'T WAIT to get my water balanced and actually understand what's going on with it daily!

You, my friend, are in the right place.

I feel your pain! :(

I'm in the process of an almost total drain. I went the route of the tarp method because I have a vinyl liner. Not as painful as it seems and I CAN'T WAIT to get my water balanced and actually understand what's going on with it daily!

You, my friend, are in the right place.

Did you take pics? Would love to see them if you did.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.