I'm screwed? 300 CYA

Ok drain-refill is done.
Used kit to test. Results:

CYA = 20 (is it possible it went from 300ish to 20...) tested twice (same water), 25.
pH = around 8.2 (matching color can't be exact)
FC = 1

What to do next. Lower pH to 7.2 or increase CYA to 30 or both?
How soon will pH goes down if I dump sufficient amount of "pool time pH down"?

Do I test for TA?

Thanks for all your help.

Did you circulate the water for ay least 30 minutes prior to testing?
You should test for everything.

Let the water circulate 30 minutes after adding the pH down and you should get a good reading.

You'll need to know TA for poolmath to give you the acid dose to correct the pH.

If you brush well after adding the acid, the pH should be down in half an hour or less. You just want to get it all dispersed.

While you're waiting on that, you can be adding the CYA via the sock method. Only add 10 ppm.

Recheck the pH. If you're at the top of the scale you might be off the scale. It could take more than one dose.

As soon as pH is right, jugs away!

Ok I turned on the pump and it's been an hour. Retested CYA and tested TA now.
CYA is 32-45 (can't really say when the black dot is truly gone... if I stare real hard it's 32, if regular stare then it's 45)
TA is 12 drops (so 120). Plaster pool.

Just to give you a tip on cya test, the test goes increments of 10. You fill to each line at a time and check. You don't stare at it the whole time until you don't see it.

For example, fill to 100 and check. If you see dot, fill to 90 if you see dot go to 80. Do that until you don't see dot and count that number as your CYA.

Report:
Yesterday 6/3, started at 6a. Started pump. Brushed. FC was 1 and shocked to 12. Tested every 1 to 2 hours until 6pm. Throughout the FC dropped 2-3. Added more chlorine back to 12 every time. Last check was 8pm (FC was 10, added to 12). Pump was running all day. Tested CC only three times: and all were 1/2 (1 drop). Water had been clear since 2pm. Vacuumed once in the morning.

This morning 6/4, checked at 6a. FC was 12 still. CC was also 1/2 still. Brushed again. Did not add chlorine.
Maybe after the sun is high I will check FC again and vacuum later in afternoon.

Should I keep pump running? I'm concerned about electricity bill (it's not cheap here in Southern California).

Thanks.

Edit:
Checked at 10:25am. FC went down to 11.5 from 12. Sun has finally come. Do I let it drift to 3 or keep shocking (12) until tomorrow (see overnight chlorine loss)?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No I didn't test. I tested, got FC=10. Added 5 cups per poolmath. I don't want to waste the reagents ...

You could have passed, and I hope you did. But you're not going to be 100% sure unless you measure after adding your last dose of chlorine. Pool math is accurate, but there are always other variables that may not actually raise the FC level the way the calculator says it should. For example, you list your pool at approx 16K gallons. It could actually be smaller than that, and your FC level could have been raised up to 13 when you added chlorine. The strength of chlorine may actually be the strength that it is listed.

Anyway, if you feel confident in your number I don't want to discourage you. Just something to keep in mind when performing the OCLT.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.