Trina decourcey

May 29, 2023
Nh
Good morning.
I’m having an issue with high pressure on my DE filter. Everything seems to be working as it should. I have replaced filter grids checked for air leaks and everything in between but I can’t figure out where the problem is. I clean the filter and it’s up to 25psi within an hour with low flow. What could possibly be the problem. My next step is to replace the spider gasket. It’s basically flat and I can see pebbles imbedded in it. I can hear all sorts of sounds in the multiport while the filter is running. Could a bad gasket be causing the high pressure?

I clean the filter and it’s up to 25psi within an hour with low flow.
This is very common with the onset of algae, especially after opening. It may still be in a transparent stage. Can you post a full set of water test results? DE filters clog up very fast with heavy organic levels.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

As the old saying goes, there's a first time for everything. :) A spike in filter pressure coupled with low water flow after a backwash is a classic sign of algae. Test results from a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C will help to confirm. If it is from excessive organics, no amount of backwashing or cleaning will take care of it. It's a chemical issue.

Trina,

Since you have low flow at the same time you have high pressure, so we can rule out a gauge issue.

Since the flow and initial pressure is ok, after you clean the filter, that should eliminate a mechanical problem with the filter itself.

That kind of leaves you with the filter quickly clogging. Nothing can clog a filter faster than algae.

As a test, put your MPV in the by-pass or recirculate position and see if the pressure drops back to normal.

DE filters are very good at capturing algae, even when you can't see it yet.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.