Danq

Jan 24, 2024
Orlando, Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have an ~8,000 gallon in-ground pool in Florida. My pool has a solar heating system as well as a dedicated pool vacuum suction line. The normal operating pressure was 10-12 PSI without running the solar system. I recently backwashed and cleaned my DE filter grids. Upon putting the pump in service I noticed the pool was now operating at 15 psi. Given my DE filter system was approx. 7 years old I decided that perhaps it would a good time to replace the filter grids. After completing the replacement and recharging the DE the pump pressure was still operating at 15 psi. If I turn on solar system the pressure runs at 20 psi.
I'm stumped as to why such an increase in both normal and solar operating pressure increases. I can lower the pressure by partially closing the Main Drain and Skimmer valves but I never had to do this in the past. Is it possible I have a bad valve on the suction or return lines? Is it possible I have an air leak?? I don;t see any water leaks in the piping or valve system.

When I use my pool Vac I have to partially close the Main Drain and Skimmer valves to get good movement for the vacuum.

Welcome to TFP.

Does your pressure gauge go to 0 when the pump is off?

Post pics of your pool equipment.

The pressure gauge does go to zero when the pump is off. To confirm the gauge is accurate I installed a new one with the same results. Attached are pictures of my equipment setup.

In the picture the pool is running. Skimmer open full. Main drain open full. Solar valve open, and pool vac valve closed.
Pressure gauge is reading over 20 psi.
Any ideas on what to check is appreciated.

Attachments

• 7B6001F4-0868-4086-90C0-D9BCBBAAC968_1_201_a.jpeg
    7B6001F4-0868-4086-90C0-D9BCBBAAC968_1_201_a.jpeg
    752 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5120.jpeg
    IMG_5120.jpeg
    533 KB · Views: 9
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.