Going to SWG this year

tagteamcomputing

Gold Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
Tulsa, OK
Hey guys, with bleach at $9 a bottle, I think I will make the switch to SWG this year.
I have a pool that is around 22K gallons and I am looking at this system.

CircuPool EDGE40 Salt Chlorine Generator​

CircuPool EDGE40 Salt Chlorine Generator-EDGE40, which I also found here for cheaper - https://www.amazon.com/Circupool-EDGE40-Salt-Chlorine-Generator/dp/B07Z8HQ333

I would like to get some thoughts on if this is the right one to go with and know if there are any installation walkthroughs, videos, checklists, etc to make sure I have everything. I just bought my TF test kit refill but I am sure I need a different one for salt. I also read on the forum to put the salt in 24 hours before, test, etc.

I know absolutely nothing about installing and maintaining SWG so I need to get learning and I am looking for any good resources.

One of the main things I need help with is where to put it. I will need to install it vertically. I can put it right after my filter, which I think is best because then it will work for the hot tub and everything. I can also put it after my heater but then it would miss the fountain.

The way my plumbing works is Pump -> Filter -> Heater -> fountain return -> hot tub return & pool return (main pipe splits into these last two)
You can see this in the attached pictures. The circle higher up on the image right by the filter is the area I am thinking about and if I put it there I may not need to mount it vertically. If I put it on the lower one I think I will have to mount it vertically.
The space of pipe up by the filter is 23 inches long and the space right before the spa/pool split is 12 inches.

Ok, thanks for any help. Let me know if more information is required.

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: markayash
Please post your pictures to the forum.
The SWCG must be the last item prior to the water returning to the pool/spa.
How are you going to insure the SWCG is powered OFF when the pump is not running?
The Edge 40 is a bit small for your pool size. I would suggest looking at the RJ45 or 60.

Well mknaus, if that is the case then it can really only go one place and that is after the fountain return and before it splits into the pool and spa returns. I don't run the fountains all the time though so I could keep it closed until I want to use it and i am sure it will still generate enough chlorine.

I also have a variable speed pump that I run almost all the time but just on low level. I am not entirely sure how that affects this statement. "How are you going to insure the SWCG is powered OFF when the pump is not running" I am deducing that when the pump is off the SWG is off. Is that maybe the thing that markayash has sticking up out of his pipe before the blue circupool thing. Is that some kind of thing that detects if there is no flow and turns off the SWG?

Do you think that it can fit in that little 12"area if installed vertically? Or is this maybe a project that needs to have some re-piping done?

return.jpg

You will have to look at the manual for the SWCG that you select what span it needs. Typically 12" is not enough. Many SWCG's require a flow switch to be plumbed in also. It needs straight pipe (typically 12") in front of it. That can include the SWCG itself, if necessary.

You may have to go vertical.

The edge has a flow switch. It’s a good idea to also make sure your SWG doesn’t have power when the pumps off. The flow switch should do its job but the risk is if gets stuck open. If it’s producing with no water flow is could explode.

If you have a timer on your pump the best solution is to use that power source.

On mine the controller is in a pool room so I have a smart plug and have it set to turn on 15 minutes after the pump and 15 minutes before. I run mine on 120.
It’s off the same power source as the pumps

Hey guys, I am now looking at the CircuPool CORE55. The installation documentation says it only needs 11" of straight pipe and in the template you only cut out 7.5 inches. That seems like it would fit perfectly in that area right before the pool / spa returns.

Be ware -- Like the SJ series, it provides 25% increments for % generation. Finer adjustment of output needs to be done by adjusting pump run time.

Hey mknauss, if I understand you correctly you are saying that the Core series only allows you to have adjustments like 25, 50, 75, 100 but the Rj series would allow you to make adjustments like 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 etc

I do think that would be nice and I like that kind of flexibility, but I think the Core series might be the only one that would fit easily in the space I have and seems very convenient. I do have a place I could put the flow switch after the spa return but not the pool return. Their documentation shows that you can install the flow meter after the pool return but I pretty much always run through spa return, except sometimes in winter so I think that would work fine for me. Or as markayash suggested and just tie the power to my pump and if the pump is off the SWG is off.. I actually never turn my pump off now, I just run it at 1800 rpm all the time because I am afraid of algae and that is kind of a safe guard. My pump does let me set up to 4 different timers though so I think the adjustment for run time should allow me to do whatever I need with the new SWG setup.

Do you find the 25% increments create problems and / or increased testing?

Just wanted you to be aware of the limitation.
The flow switch should be placed so that it sees all the flow that is going through the SWCG.
Fine you are running your pump 24/7. Has nothing to do with algae, that is a chemistry issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey guys, I have been emailing with Circupool and I think the RJ45 is the way to go with a vertical installation. They are saying this only needs about 11" to accomplish. Now I just have the issue with the fountains. If i am diverting 20% to the fountains and the rest goes through the cell I would just have to run the pump a bit longer right? Does the speed of the water affect the output? Also, can you set it to no output if you don't need any more chlorine but want to run the fountains?
rjinstall.jpg

Does the speed of the water affect the output?
No, but it does effect the flow switch closing. So you would have to run the pump at a higher rpm.

Best to put the SWCG such that all flow goes through it.
Also, can you set it to no output if you don't need any more chlorine but want to run the fountains?
Yes. Manually. Or you need a timer to schedule the SWCG.

Discount pools is offering an upgrade from the RJ45+ to the RJ60 for only $20 more. Do you think that is a worthwhile upgrade or is it a problem to get one with too much capacity.
You can never have too much capacity for $20 more. In this case it's literally adding a 15k units worth of lifespan to the 45. (33% more) for $20. I woulda gone 3X in a heartbeat with gentle Northeast seasons. 60k is only 2.6X for you.

The sale is usually on all models so you can also go down a size and then 'upgrade' to the one you wanted, but I'd jump on the 60k.

since I am saving some money do you think the CircuPool TJ-16 "Typhoon" Centrifugal Pre-Filter is worth getting?
Some in desert climates have them and love them. With a big enough filter I think it's simply robbing Peter to pay Paul because the filter cleanings will be rare enough to not care. I don't have blowing dirt but I was inundated with pollen. This was the springs worth and didn't raise the PSI enough to warrant a cleaning. I do anyway just because it helps me sleep at night. Not pictured is the 1/4 of a 5 gallon bucket of crud/sand scooped out of the bottom of the filter. Utterly nasty, but the filter was happily chugging along doing its thing without being restricted.

Screenshot_20230329_104619_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230329_104628_Gallery.jpg

You can also accomplish similar as the pre-filter with hair nets in the skimmers for peanuts.

But the pre-filter certainly won't hurt anything either and can only help. So it's up to you.

I don't think my filters have ever been that dirty when I clean them so maybe the pre filter is overkill.
They definitely work, and you can easily empty them a bunch of times to prolong the already long big cleaning.

Or just let it ride and suck up the occasional big cleaning or use hair nets and have to replace them every few days for 10 cents each.

Decisions, decisions. :ROFLMAO:

Get a K 1766 salt test kit. That is only thing different. The salt can be plain water softener salt. Wait until you test your water for salinity before buying salt.

Reactions: woodyp

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.