Going to SWG this year

See the chart :

Screenshot_20230327_210207_Chrome.jpg

As the CYA increases, so does the slam target (40% across the board) due to the CYA binding available chlorine. So every level of this chart is proportionately equal for sanitizing.

FC burns off as a % of the CYA and really becomes noticeable in the 20s of FC. So you'll lose several ppm to the sun/UV daily that won't be helping you slam. And you'll be constantly offering more to the sun Gods. Given the choice from a wallet perspective, you'd always rather have the lower target, so you OCLT before you raise the CYA significantly.

I don't understand:
Forgot to point out......... GREAT job. Please ask anytime you aren't sure of something. Sometimes we go to fast, so tell us to pause and rewind. We'll happily oblige. :)

It took me a BUNCH if go's at it. Heck. I'm STILL going at it at times. :ROFLMAO: Ask anytime.

Sorry, the main thing I don't know is what OCLT is :) I am sure it is an acronym but I don't know what it means. And thank you very much for the info on the CYA level because I got confused and thought it was supposed to be around 30. Well, actually, I didn't get confused, I saw it in my circupool manual it says between 30 and 50. It makes sense to have it a bit higher so you are not constantly making chlorine just to keep up.

Sorry, the main thing I don't know is what OCLT is :) I am sure it is an acronym but I don't know what it means. And thank you very much for the info on the CYA level because I got confused and thought it was supposed to be around 30. Well, actually, I didn't get confused, I saw it in my circupool manual it says between 30 and 50. It makes sense to have it a bit higher so you are not constantly making chlorine just to keep up.
Sorry for that. Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.....Link-->Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Reactions: Mdragger88
Ahh, ok. I figured it was something like that. Reminds me of my first corporate job. They had so many acronyms.
So basically make sure you have good data before you start adding anything.
So tonight turn off my SWG and then in the morning I can test my CYA and make sure i am getting a good read. Do I leave the pump running or turn it off, or doesn't matter?

Reactions: Newdude
Yep.
So tonight turn off my SWG and then in the morning I can test my CYA and make sure i am getting a good read. Do I leave the pump running or turn it off, or doesn't matter?
Read this...print it out, read it again-->Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

You are testing FC, not CYA. You are trying to figure out if you have algae. Losing more than 1ppm of FC overnight indicates algae.

If you lose more than 1ppm fc overnight, then you want to SLAM the pool to kill algae. SLAM Process

If you pass OCLT, then you can start with testing and adding CYA.

Ahh, ok. I figured it was something like that. Reminds me of my first corporate job. They had so many acronyms.
To be clear-
Doing the
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test ensures that you are algae free BEFORE raising your cya incase you might need to do the
SLAM Process which is easier to accomplish at lower cya levels.
After you pass the oclt, only add 1/2-3/4 of what poolmath says you need to reach your cya target 🎯 this ensures you don’t overshoot your target. Cya is like salt in that the only way to lower the level is to exchange water

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sunset today in your neck of the woods is 7:55pm ; sunrise tomorrow is 6:53 am

30 minutes after sunset & 30 minutes before sunrise is a good rule of thumb to be sure uv is out of the equation for the test.

Reactions: PoolStored
Ok, I ran the test last night and in the evening it was 5.5 and in the morning it was 4.5 and my CYA is between 50 and 60. The pool is pretty clean but this is the time of year the Maple trees are starting to bloom and I have one in my backyard and get those helicopter seeds in it, but I cleaned most of them out.

Do we think that is good enough or should I be looking for reasons I am losing a little chlorine?

Do we think that is good enough or should I be looking for reasons I am losing a little chlorine?
Pros SLAM first and ask questions later. Rookies sit around thinking of reasons they don't need to SLAM. Guess which one gets caught behind the 8 ball ? :)

Under regular circumstances, you could monitor the 1FC overnight loss and you wouldn't lose any ground if you maintained target FC while you investigated further. But seeing how you wish to raise the CYA and that could bite you if somethings brewing, I'd SLAM Process
If it wasn't warranted it will be over in a day and you can rest easy going forward. Or it was needed and you'll PHEW.

I ran the OCLT last night. This time I waited until the sun was completely down and it was dark and tested before the sun came up. At night it was 5.5 ppm and in the morning it was 5.0ppm. I have never SLAMed before because when I got the pool i started with the TFP process and I dont shut it down for winter. So I think I may go ahead and SLAM just to have done it once and make sure everything is good.

So I think I may go ahead and SLAM just to have done it once and make sure everything is good.
You passed, but an insurance SLAM isn't going to hurt. Many of us have taken the extra step to sleep better. Plus, if it's ever warranted, it won't be your first rodeo. :)

Oh boy. Now you did it. Here's information overload.

Also, at the bottom of the page is the TFP Wiki link. It's got GOBS of things categorized and if you're wondering something, it's probably in there somewhere. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.