First water test

OK, so I just finished filling my pool. The filter pump is running and I added 8 oz of bleach 8,5%. In a couple minutes Im gonna add the CYA (9oz) in a sock near the flow. BUt when I should test the water for PH and Chlorine?
Now of tomorrow? and wich one first PH or Chlorine?
Now my FC target is 3, but after I added the CYA wich will be my FC Target?
Thanks

OK, so I just finished filling my pool. The filter pump is running and I added 8 oz of bleach 8,5%. In a couple minutes Im gonna add the CYA (9oz) in a sock near the flow. BUt when I should test the water for PH and Chlorine?
Now of tomorrow? and wich one first PH or Chlorine?
Now my FC target is 3, but after I added the CYA wich will be my FC Target?
Thanks
Test the pH half an hour after you added the bleach and adjust if you need to.

Tomorrow you'll need to add another 8 oz of bleach most likely. It will probably all be gone.

When the sock is all dissolved, target 5 FC and let poolmath tell you how much to add.

Hi thanks again
I test the water and seems like my chlorine is high 5-8
But I did a mistake because I did all the calculations based in 1718 gal (box intex) but my pool have 1600 gal so there is like a 1/4 cup less of chlorine.
What should i do now to lower the chlorine?
Nothing. No one's going swimming tonight, are they? It'll drop during daylight.

Great
So next step tomorrow morning turn on the filter pump again with the CYA sock and run this until the sock be empty.
So if my target of FC was 3, and now? I mean it should be higher day after day?
FC will go down all by itself every day. Bleach is a consumable item. For now, when you test each day, bring FC back to 3. When the sockful of CYA is dissolved, your CYA level should be about 40. That means you want to maintain at least 3 all the time. That is the minimum. So target 5 or 6 when you add bleach. The next day when you test, if you're below 3, you target a little higher. Over the course of a week or so, you will figure out how much the pool uses and can set the right target FC each time you dose so that as FC drops every day, it never dips below 3.

Any time you want, you can check the pH and TA and start adjusting them if needed.

The ultimate goal is to have FC never drop below 3, pH stays between 7.2 and 7.8. Do that and your pool will stay clear and sparkly all season long.

Now that you're actually doing it and it's no longer theoretical, it probably wouldn't hurt any to go back and re-read some of pool school. It will make more sense now.

Hi
Im reading all the time, but I cant find a Step By Step from the beggining with new pool and new water. That is why Im asking you all the details, and I want to undestard everything.My husband doesnt want to learn so im doing all my self.:(
Is very clear for me that I have to add bleach every night and test Chlorine and PH every night or evening 30 minutes after I added the bleach.
Is very clear that I have to have the CYA in around 40 to keep my chlorine in the pool,but my doubt is when to do each thing? .I know you explained very well for me but I need to be clear.
So what I did was: Last night when I finished filling the pool I runned the filter for 30 min and added the 8 oz (1cup) 8.25 bleach (I did it wrong because should it be 0,87 cup. Thats why the test result was so high.
I added the CYA sock last nigh.
I just turn on the filter again so the CYA is completly gone. (I hope that will be today)
So what I undestand is:with 0 chlorine and 0 Cya I have to target 3, but when CYA reach 40, to get 3 of Chlorine I have to add more that 3 (4 or 5 maybe). Is that correct?
So tonigh I do the test for all except CYA and my Chlorine target will be 3 because I dont know the CYA yet??

Hi
Im reading all the time, but I cant find a Step By Step from the beggining with new pool and new water. That is why Im asking you all the details, and I want to undestard everything.My husband doesnt want to learn so im doing all my self.:(
Is very clear for me that I have to add bleach every night and test Chlorine and PH every night or evening 30 minutes after I added the bleach.
Is very clear that I have to have the CYA in around 40 to keep my chlorine in the pool,but my doubt is when to do each thing? .I know you explained very well for me but I need to be clear.
So what I did was: Last night when I finished filling the pool I runned the filter for 30 min and added the 8 oz (1cup) 8.25 bleach (I did it wrong because should it be 0,87 cup. Thats why the test result was so high.
I added the CYA sock last nigh.
I just turn on the filter again so the CYA is completly gone. (I hope that will be today)
I run the filter all day and at night Im gonna add the bleach to target 3 or 5?
Tonight what I do first add the target of CL or test first? (I guess is test and depends the number of the test the pool math cal will tell me to add or not?)
Target 3 until the sock is dissolved. Then target 5. Whether that's tonight or tomorrow night, it doesn't matter. Just whenever it's empty.

Always test first and then add what it needs. Never add anything blindly. The only reason you didn't test FC and CYA before adding them was because it was a fresh fill and wouldn't have any. From here on out, you always test first. Daily you check pH and FC and if you need to fix pH, do that first, wait 30 minutes, and then add the chlorine. Most of the time, it will just be adding more bleach. I think it will all make more sense after you've done it a couple times.

Just follow this schedule: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/131-basic-pool-care-schedule

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you test at evening? Im asking because of the sun light? Is difficult do this at night with artificial light.I was a little confunse.
You can do the tests indoors if you want. The only one that is really light-sensitive is the CYA test. Make sure you are looking through the test block at a white background, like a sheet of paper.

It doesn't really matter when you test, as long as the FC hasn't dropped below minimum before the next test. And you want the pump running at least half an hour before you get your sample, and another half an hour after you add chemicals. Beyond that, whatever works best for you.

The Cya is almost gone. The filter must work 24 hr only today, right?
100 gallons really make diference with chemicals or 1/8 cup doesnt make diff?
Yeah, after the stuff is dissolved and the sock is gone, four or five hours a day should be plenty. 100 gallons makes a difference when the pool is only 1600 gallons. That's 6%. It can make a difference. Intex says it's 1718 gallons. http://www.intexcorp.com/index.php/...12-366cm-metal-frame-round-pools/56995eg.html

Yes but I didn't fill it full. Is 2 or 3 inches less.
image.jpg

So now, the Cya is totally gone... At evening I'm gonna test all except for CYA and post the results.

I'm gonna calculate with the pool math calculator how many gallons I have measuring the high water level
The Cya do you think that is ok test next Wednesday?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.