Dye-testing with cones

Rob,

Tell us more about where you think the leak is..

In my tiny mind, it is highly unlikely that you will find it with dye..

Are you looking for air leaking in or water leaking out or ?????

Why do you think you have a leak at all???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi all, I made myself some cones and have 1 that i punched a hole through. Is there a proper way to do this testing to be able to isolate a certain section of pipe for leaks?

thank you
It works best if you can put a smaller cone in the larger cones hole at the end. You can remove the others jets and put a plug in those other jets until your ready to test them.

Pressure testing works better for me, but dye testing is possible as well. Like @ferretbone said, plug the other lines and test one at a time. Have you been able to isolate the leak to the lines (pressure or suction) or the pool itself? To answer your initial question it's hard to determine where the leak is just from dye testing alone.

thanks for the replies..my water level seems to drop fast so a bucket test confirmed my leak suspicion. I also have some horizontal cracks , missing tiles on the bond beam so I am wondering if it is leaking through there.
So far I can't get any dye to be sucked into a return..

Rob,

Our first step to finding a leak, is to let the water drain down until the leak stops...

Most leaks stop just below the skimmer, or the light, or a return..

If the leak stops just below the skimmer, then you can rule out a light or return leak.

I have never had any luck using a dye test.

If this was my pool, and I thought the problem was at the waterline tile, then in theory, once the water drained below the tile line, the leak should stop.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.