Silver Supporter
Dec 20, 2023
Tennessee
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Please give me your thoughts. This pool may be the end of me. Since last fall, we have had two conduit leaks fixed, a spa return crack, and now our skimmer, which was a bear to get to under the decking. Now it appears to me to be going down faster than it should. It’s about one inch per day. I’m in East Tennessee. Temps are all over the place but generally getting warmer.

When I isolate the suction on the skimmer and the drain independently, the pump does fine, so I don’t think that’s it.

We had a professional leak detection company out here last time diagnosing the skimmer, and while they were here they said everything else was leak free. That was about 6 weeks ago.

Is one inch per day too much? I hope I am just worrying. I am going to try the bucket test tonight and maybe get some dye to check the returns. We have an autofill but I don’t want it installed yet. I am having to put a garden hose in at least once per week to keep it above the skimmer

Please give me your thoughts. This pool may be the end of me. Since last fall, we have had two conduit leaks fixed, a spa return crack, and now our skimmer, which was a bear to get to under the decking. Now it appears to me to be going down faster than it should. It’s about one inch per day. I’m in East Tennessee. Temps are all over the place but generally getting warmer.

When I isolate the suction on the skimmer and the drain independently, the pump does fine, so I don’t think that’s it.

We had a professional leak detection company out here last time diagnosing the skimmer, and while they were here they said everything else was leak free. That was about 6 weeks ago.

Is one inch per day too much? I hope I am just worrying. I am going to try the bucket test tonight and maybe get some dye to check the returns. We have an autofill but I don’t want it installed yet. I am having to put a garden hose in at least once per week to keep it above the skimmer
1” per day is way more than mine and also in East TN. What did the leak detection place find wrong?

Do the bucket test to make really sure it’s an inch .

1” per day is way more than mine and also in East TN. What did the leak detection place find wrong?

Do the bucket test to make really sure it’s an inch .
They figured out the skimmer was busted. Which wasn’t difficult because the pump couldn’t prime when only sucking from the skimmer.

They used audio tools and dye elsewhere.

Was the skimmer repaired or replaced? Do you think maybe it’s still a leak source?
It was repaired (the pvc line). I highly doubt it is busted again because when I isolate 100 percent suction on the skimmer the pump does fine. Before it could not prime. (That’s how we figured it out)

Reactions: kul
I recently thought I had a leak and observed it intensely for about 3 weeks. Maybe try that. I tracked the following daily/weekly:
1) outdoor day temp and weather conditions
2) night outdoor temp
3) water temp
4) picked two spots in pool to measure

This helped me determine I just had evaporation.

Did the bucket test yesterday evening. It’s only been 12 hours and the pool side was down at least a half inch. The water inside the bucket had zero change.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Leak detection company is coming again Wednesday. Continued bucket test with pump off and it doesn’t drop at all. Must be a return. Hoping it’s not under the decking