davethebrit

In The Industry
Mar 29, 2022
Cohasset,MA
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
After days of troubleshooting and following the wonderful advice of this group and website I was able to narrow down where I believe I had a leak.

I put rubber grommets in each of the pipe fixtures, and went to town with dye. Lo and behold I was able to find that the dye gets drawn in at an astronomical rate from one light fixture conduit. Now, the challenge is that the conduit runs roughly 100’ downhill to the service area.

I saw some folks recommend rubber boots to plug the hole. Is there any advice on how I might locate the leak? Ideally I’d fix it at the source.

More ideas if needed:

If one of these options works, there would be no need to dig-up the conduit. That could be a challenge. Finding a leak in that conduit might follow the same principle as pool plumbing by pushing air in from one end and plugging the other, then attempting to hear the leak with listening devices. Probably more effort than it's worth.

Reactions: davethebrit
More ideas if needed:

If one of these options works, there would be no need to dig-up the conduit. That could be a challenge. Finding a leak in that conduit might follow the same principle as pool plumbing by pushing air in from one end and plugging the other, then attempting to hear the leak with listening devices. Probably more effort than it's worth.
That makes sense to me. Pumping the pipe with tracer gases was another thought but a lot of work. Really appreciate it.

If I'm going to replace the light, I'm assuming I may as well do the pull now? Or is it better once the water line is below, ie. winter. I always forget if it's easier to pull with water in the conduit or not.

If I'm going to replace the light, I'm assuming I may as well do the pull now? Or is it better once the water line is below, ie. winter. I always forget if it's easier to pull with water in the conduit or not.
I would defer that to someone like @1poolman1.

Reactions: davethebrit
I would defer that to someone like @1poolman1.
If the conduit is dry, a wire-pulling lube can be used. Water in the conduit makes the pull easier if the pool isn't drained. A lot depends on the length as well, so sometimes having someone push the conduit in and keep it from twisting on itself is good.
I always pulled the new cord out as straight as possible and as far from the niche as possible so that it would fall into the pool and be fed from the bottom and most, it not all, of the twist was out of it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.