Do I need a new SWG?

s_dubb

May 24, 2019
South West, Arizona
It was time to clean the SWG, cleaned it up with diluted muriatic and the plates look great now. Hooked it back up and I’m getting the flashing CELL light for “inspect the cell “ do I need a new SWG?

Attachments

• IMG_1894.jpeg
    IMG_1894.jpeg
    318.7 KB · Views: 17
OK -- still seems short. But if the Cell light is blinking and the cell is clean, it is nearly always expired.

What do you run the pump at? If the cell has to be at 100%, then the pump run each day must be around 10 hours.

Consider spending a few more dollars for an IC60.

3 years, Gets all the AZ sun and was usually sitting at 100% to keep up
If you run your pool and SWG 8 hours a day at 100% that is nearly 9000 hours for the three years. That is nearly the average life span of a salt cell. With a VSP you likely run it longer.
If you can, get a larger cell and turn down the percentage and it will last longer while providing the same amount of chlorine.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I always have a hard time with the CYA and watching that dot disappear in the tube.
When you do the CYA test, try this next time.

Once you have your solution ready, back to the sun, etc. Fill the vial to a line, say 80, lower the vial to your waist level and glance for the dot, you see it, add solution to the 70 line, glance, see it, repeat until you no longer see it with a glance. Then use the CYA value one step above the line you read. So if you stopped at 50, use 60 ppm CYA.

The vial is a non linear scale. So it is not reasonable to interpolate between the lines. Just use the whole numbers, such as 50, 40, 30, ....

I just installed the new IC60 and everything went smooth. But now there is no light in the status area. What could cause that
The "CELL" light will only illuminate when it's actively producing chlorine. It runs on a 5 minute cycle. For example, if set to 60%, the cell will generate for three minutes, then idle for two minutes, then repeat.

Reactions: s_dubb
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.