Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
The IntelliChlor manual gives this warning:

Do not add any pool water balancing chemicals (including salt) unless the IntelliChlor SCG is switched off.

A strict interpretation of that would be that you could not using automatic dosing systems if you have SWG. Since I don't think that is what Pentair means I am assuming they don't want non-diluted chemicals going through the cell. Obviously pouring muriatic acid directly into a skimmer would be a no no for many reasons. Do you really need to turn off the cell or is it acceptable to take reasonable precautions to ensure any balancing chemicals are well diluted before they get into the lines?

I looked at the manual for Jandy SWCG and have not seen such a notice. I think it is weird because Pentair makes a auto dosing acid device.
Never put any chemical directly into the skimmer (I know some like to put CYA in a sock in a skimmer) but I find it always best to always add Chlorine (Liquid if needed), MA, CH, CYA(via sock method), Salt directly to the pool for dilution.

I think it is weird because Pentair makes a auto dosing acid device.

Pentair IntellipH and IntelliChem both set the Intellichlor cell to 0% before dosing MA.

Best practice is to turn off the IntelliChlor cell before adding salt.

Although if I need to add one or two bags of salt I add them in my deep end of my 35,000 gallon pool without turning down the cell.

And I add any chemicals well away from the skimmers so by the time they get into the pool equipment they are well diluted and should not be an issue.

Pentair needs to write manuals that cover the worst case situations. Someone with a 6,000 gallon pool that is 5 feet deep has less opportunity of dilution of chemicals before it gets into the equipment.

So like most things in life, it depends.

Reactions: HermanTX
When the IntelliChlor is controlled by an IntelliCenter can it be turned off at the cell or do you need to go into the panel or app?
You need to control it through the IntelliCenter.

2 more questions:

By turning off the cell just set output to zero rather than disconnecting it from the power source?

With the pump running at 85 GPM how long before the cell can be turned on? At that speed turnover of my pool volume would be 7 hours but I suspect I don't need to wait anywhere near that long.

By turning off the cell just set output to zero rather than disconnecting it from the power source?

0% is off.

With the pump running at 85 GPM how long before the cell can be turned on? At that speed turnover of my pool volume would be 7 hours but I suspect I don't need to wait anywhere near that long.

Turnover is meaningless - Turnover of Pool Water - Further Reading

How much salt you adding? A lot then give the salt 24 hours of pump running to dissolve before turning on the SWG.

One or two bags - an hour or so if you turn the SWG off at all.

I don't turn off the SWG when adding chemicals other then a lot of salt.

Just add the chemicals in the deep end away from your skimmers. They will be well diluted in your 37,000 gallon pool before it reaches your SWG.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In that case it will go right into the bottom drain.

All depends how you have the balance of main drain and skimmer suction.

Pour the chemicals into another place in your pool away from the main drain.

We don't need to debate it. Do whatever makes you comfortable.