DIY Solar Cover Roller

The pipe has held up fairly well. The only "failure" was one of the coupler joints cracked because someone picked it up only at the spot of one of the joints. ABS fittings are fairly narrow and don't have a lot of glue area and with the cover wet and rolled up it can be heavy and the ends can sag. So my advice is to put any joints, if you have any, away from the center of the stick.

@Punkid. Sorry didn't check/get notice of ur post #96. Those lengths I gave were pipe length vs. cover.

At that post which mentioned to offset them. That could probably work better for rolling in pool. My ends nearly abut which causes them to hit/rub when I roll them up. I'm not sure about the offset in order to aid w/ partially unrolling on deck before putting in water. For me, I just throw the whole roller in pool at an angle then either go the side of it or end to unroll. When I had first made it two years ago and tried this partial unroll technique it was disastrous as I could never get a smooth unroll.

This is a timely post for the latest one as I meant to respond in this post or to you directly Mark. To answer the question for the latest poster regarding my pipes, they have held up fine with no brittleness at all. My problem is definitely with the cover itself.

I used an 8 mill cover. I definitely will not be able to get more than two years out of it. This sucker is getting brittle, tearing, getting holes. All the little plastic pieces for the bubbles are coming off. I assume this is just the way it is. Mark, how many years have you gotten out of a cover? Are you using an 8 mil?

For my next go around, I've actually thought about going with a heavier cover if it would provide better longevity, skipping the rollers, and just cutting it in four sections; length by width. But, I wonder how easy would be to roll up each of the 4 sections just from the side and then to have to unroll in the same way? Or I've thought about just diving in the pool for each section to roll/unroll. But this will probably be a PITA. Anyone have experience with making 4 sections (again it would be without using the rollers)?

This year, I have a 5 mil cover and it has lasted 2 years. Next spring I will be replacing it. Previously, I had an 8 mil and a 12 mil and both lasted about 2 years. The thickness may help for a deck side roller where you are dragging it across the bricks but for this, I don't think it matters much.

So I've read all six pages of this and am ready to start to make my own roller. But I cannot find the ABS pipe here in PA – the link in the first page from HD shows only NJ stores stocking ABS (black) pipe. I looked through the rest of the pages and people seem to have had success with DWV pipe, so I tried some I got at Lowe's. Got 1" and brought it home and it immediately filled with water and sunk. I see questions asked and responses indicating that end caps won't necessarily help since the screws/plugs that hold the cover on will leak into the pipe.

So I'm kind of at a stand still here, will the cover support the weight of the filled 1" pipe, or do I need to make a trip to NJ. And why in the heck do they not sell ABS pipe in PA?

You need foam core pipe. Not all DWV is foam core and not all ABS is foam core. The only thing that matters is it must be foam core or it will sink.

Thanks to OP and everyone else for their input on this. I'm considering building my own roller due to free form pool that makes any standard roller impractical. As I've read this thread, perhaps I've missed it, but is there any tool that is used to help roll and unroll the solar cover/pipe? The Solar Cover Roll has a crank, but don't see how this is accomplished with the DIY.

Also, I've used the various links posted in here for Home Depot and Lowes for the Foam Core pipe, inventory shows as unavailable from any store within 100 miles. Has anyone found a source for this pipe other than Lowes and Home Depot?

Thanks

The pipe is fairly large in diameter so you can just roll the pipe with your hands.

Regarding availability, I think what may be happening is that solid core Schedule 40 PVC is being labeled as dual purpose DWV pipe because the price point is not much different than ABS and it is stronger. So many places are not carrying ABS anymore other than for repairs.

However, True Value will do ship to store for free and I think they have it: ABS DWV Foam Core Pipe, 1.5-In. x 10-Ft.: Model# ABS31120600HC | True Value

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks to MAS and all for the great suggestions. Attached is a picture of my efforts using 12 mil cover, 1 1/2" pipe and automobile fasteners every 24". The longest pipe is 20 feet and the smaller side is 18 feet. Takes about 10 minutes to put on and 5 minutes to take off with one person. Used Gorilla Clear Repair tape to attach a couple of pieces (waterproof and UV resistant). With large eucalyptus trees in the back this will save a lot of work.

pool cover.jpg

Hi guys. Thanks for this thread!

I am starting a modified variant of this today using two 9' pipes which will be strung across a marine grade nylon line that will clip to my shallow-end-rope eye bolts. The goal is to be able in-pool to move them off to the side in either an L or straight formation and essentially lasso the diving board inside a future winter air dome to do physiotherapy.

The automotive clips I bought are 1/4 inch so I either have to go get bigger ones or maybe reinforce the area with duct tape since I won't be making a clamp....or maybe both ;)

I also got a grommet tool to, with duct tape reinforcement, makes holes for a rope lead/leash on each section to walk it back out /recover when done swimming. But I just realized in SWG environment, the grommets may corrode. Maybe I could plastic-dip the grommets...or cover them up with duct tape or vinyl patch?

Let me know your thoughts! I'll post pics when done which might not be til next weekend due to incessant rain ;)

The "in-pool" methodology for my grecian does mean there will be 3" on each side that aren't covered, but to be able to unroll in pool from shallow end like toilet paper makes sense in my particular situation. Might even use em in summer now if I can find a neat way to just hang the rope in the terrace. Might hate the look of that though!

Swampwoman said:
... I also got a grommet tool to, with duct tape reinforcement, makes holes for a rope lead/leash on each section to walk it back out /recover when done swimming. But I just realized in SWG environment, the grommets may corrode. Maybe I could plastic-dip the grommets...or cover them up with duct tape or vinyl patch? ...

Plastic grommets?
Amazon.com: Camco 51047 Plastic Tap-In Grommet - Pack of 8: Automotive

Update on the in-pool "2-part toilet paper roll" aproach:

Rolling the second does cause some overlap, but the in-pool approach s pretty easy to unroll even without grommets and handles. I might just leave it this way.

Lazy person doing physio can roll one half and secure to ladder. Lazy person who wants whole pool can leave it anchored to side. Summer person who doesn't want to look at it in water can lift either end and clip to eyebolts I'm gonna install on side of terrace. Pretty happy with this arrangement so far. Didn't bother reinforcing as realize the cover I ordered was 12 mil...and it was easiest to put stays on in pool...

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I came across this thread a while ago and loved the idea. I finally had a chance to try it. Super easy, super cheap, way way easier to manage the pool cover! Hardest part was getting the screws into the middle sections...i just climbed into the water with my electric drill lol
0d02eb007cf26504c4932738f073b05b.jpg
9b9bc373deb6a95f9db8f2f239e29b3a.jpg
ccd3ac11c94dd338e9543a23c3f255b7.jpg
0dbd56a34c70c0b3a8a0d8edbbae1cd0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uavmx, did you put your pipes on top of the cover and fasten that way? Or, are your pipes under the cover, touching the water? My 1st go w/ these I had the pipes under the cover touching the water. Not sure if it matters.

I need to get another cover and make some more. Got 2 years from 1st cover & rollers. Was thinking though of just cutting the new cover length-wise and width-wise to make 4 pieces and the just putting those on/off; no rollers. Anyone think that would be just as easy as the rollers? In my 2nd season I'm just not sure if the rollers helped when the cover was showing wear & tear. Also, my pipes are a little bowed and don't lie flat. Either the bow goes up or I try to keep it on its side. Or I start w/ new rollers again. I do remember the measuring and securing the cover to the pipes was tedious. That's what prompted me to think the 4 cut/pieces idea would work well enough.

Uavmx, did you put your pipes on top of the cover and fasten that way? Or, are your pipes under the cover, touching the water? My 1st go w/ these I had the pipes under the cover touching the water. Not sure if it matters.

I need to get another cover and make some more. Got 2 years from 1st cover & rollers. Was thinking though of just cutting the new cover length-wise and width-wise to make 4 pieces and the just putting those on/off; no rollers. Anyone think that would be just as easy as the rollers? In my 2nd season I'm just not sure if the rollers helped when the cover was showing wear & tear. Also, my pipes are a little bowed and don't lie flat. Either the bow goes up or I try to keep it on its side. Or I start w/ new rollers again. I do remember the measuring and securing the cover to the pipes was tedious. That's what prompted me to think the 4 cut/pieces idea would work well enough.

They are under the cover, that pic was while I was laying it out. Only benefit I see is having it underneath is it creates a high spot to help force water off (I'm going to put caps on the end to help get it higher, also less water to drain out while removing it). It also creates some drag in the water to help hold the cover in place, makes moving it around firmer if that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.