DIY Solar Cover Roller

I made one (actually two) for my 20x40 pool... I cut the cover length-wise. The cover that I bought has seams every 4', so I cut along the seams. Thus, there is an 8' section and a 12' section.

I'm having an issue rolling it though. The cover starts turning as I roll - not from being out of square - but essentially making a V-shape. I think it is because the end of the pipe that I'm rolling makes the cover tighter... so the near side rolls smaller than the far end. I'll post a picture next time I do it if that will make more sense.

It is bad... almost makes me feel like I wasted the money in making it. The cover gets so far off by the last 1/3, I cannot roll it effectively any more. Last night, I got in the pool and rolled... make a revolution or two on one side then swim under to the other side and do the same. Took forever, but was able to get a consistent roll.

Anyone else have similar issues? How did you resolve?

My pool is nearly the same size at 20x45 and the roll does tend to get uneven but not so much that I can't roll it. My roller is at the end of the cover. Is yours in the middle?

I plan on putting a roller at each end with a rope that has hooks. I can then roll and unroll the covers more easily.

I made one (actually two) for my 20x40 pool... I cut the cover length-wise. The cover that I bought has seams every 4', so I cut along the seams. Thus, there is an 8' section and a 12' section.
So you have to roll 40' of cover? I think it would have worked better cutting the cover into two sections 20x20.

I can't seem to find any foamcore ABS here in Quebec... Would it be possible to use standard ABS and shove some pool noodles in there to help with the flotation? Would it make it too much of a good place for algae to grow?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The problem with most foam products is that they get water logged after time and will start to weigh down the cover. If you can find a high density closed cell foam, that might work but it is probably very expensive too.

However, I know they are starting to replace ABS foam core with PVC foam core in some areas so you might look for that.

PVC Schedule 40 DWV Foam Core Pipe

Also, is the pipe just as wide as the cover and did you attach it close to the end of the pipe? That can help with wrapping issues as well.

I can't seem to find any foamcore ABS here in Quebec... Would it be possible to use standard ABS and shove some pool noodles in there to help with the flotation? Would it make it too much of a good place for algae to grow?

The foam core name is a little misleading. It is not actually foam in the middle of the pipe. It is the actual material used to make the pipe. Try searching for ABS DWV pipe. It should be what you need

Both ABS DWV and PVC DWV come in both foam core and solid core versions. It just may not be available in all locations.

I have a 18' round pool. I can get 12' sections of 2" cellular core ABS. Should I go for two separate 9' sections or join the two? If joining, is it better to go for two equal sections or go with 12' and 6' for instance?

Thanks again!

The large section of my pool (far end of the first picture) is about 18' in diameter. I used one pipe about 18' long for that section and it works out pretty well. It is a little heavy with an 8 mil cover so as long as the cover is thin, you should be ok.

How about storage? Have mine all rolled up now - supposed to stay pretty hot for a while.

Was thinking of putting them in the basement... but will they get moldy? It stays humid here all the time, so I think that they'd get funky if I covered and left them outside (?)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.