DIY Solar Cover Roller

My DIY solar cover is in place and works well. Thanks so much. I will take pics of cover when I get home and post. I got two brackets from home depot to hang on the fence so cover stays off the ground

Pics of cover
f73de8f778c23ea551bdb6b187f57f02.jpg
316e5e594ec186163883a1be6b7a48e2.jpg

I use IE and can see every pic but the first one...just a title and an icon.

Mark, why is the cover needed? do you have issues w leaves?

Does the material just float on the water and you cut it to perimeter of pool?

Since you have a diving board, assuming deep end is 8-10ft min....if someone falls in or young kid wanders in and falls, what are the potential issues? CA is pretty tight on a lot of pool codes and safety...just checking with you on some basics...

Thanks
tstex

I'm in the process of making the rollers for my pool, I'm just getting a little stuck with what to use to fasten the cover to the pipe. I'm planning on cutting a 1 1/4 pvc pipe in half lengthwise to use as a clamp, I'm not sure if I should go with the automotive push clips or stainless steal screws? I've read all the pages of this thread but there's not a whole lot about what everyone has used.

My pool is freeform shape, I have the cover cut into 3 sections, so far I have managed to build the first roller as a tester to see if it's worth building the remaining 2. I'm using just a regular 1" pvc pipe since I had extra on hand from a previous project. If I have trouble with them floating I'm gonna try cutting a pool noodle lengthwise and inserting it into the pvc.

if anyone can offer a little help with what to use to attach the cover to the PVC I would really appreciate it.

I'm using just a regular 1" pvc pipe since I had extra on hand from a previous project. If I have trouble with them floating I'm gonna try cutting a pool noodle lengthwise and inserting it into the pvc.
Standard PVC pipe won't float. Inserting foam will only work for a little while and will probably get saturated and end up sinking.

You are better off finding cellular/foam core pipe which will float without inserting any foam.

Shop Charlotte Pipe 1-1/2-in x 20-ft 0 Sch 40 PVC DWV Pipe at Lowes.com

Reactions: DrJazker
Instead of the automotive clips, I went with using 1" pieces from a quarter section of a foam core pipe. I halved it & then quartered it. Then, cut my pieces. I fastened them with stainless steel screws, and they worked fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Like Mark said, if you're going to make them, you should use from core pipe. Do it right the first time, and just get the foam core pipe.

Reactions: Cwiggs
My pool is nearly the same size at 20x45 and the roll does tend to get uneven but not so much that I can't roll it. My roller is at the end of the cover. Is yours in the middle?

I plan on putting a roller at each end with a rope that has hooks. I can then roll and unroll the covers more easily.
Will you post pictures of what you're talking about with a rope and hooks?

Was thinking though of just cutting the new cover length-wise and width-wise to make 4 pieces and the just putting those on/off; no rollers. Anyone think that would be just as easy as the rollers?

From a females perspective I can say the rollers are a huge benefit but of course that also means they need to be managable & after reading thru all this it seems your 18’ length was difficult, so maybe smaller sections with smaller pipes? I can see a hufe advantage to rolling on a pipe & throwing it up on some hooks on the fence with the water drain off & effort required to roll vs pull & fold....but that may just be me & that I’m excited to try this DIY version!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’m really excited to start making these!! Our pool is at a vacation rental & the pool heating cost is insane so we need a cover but I could never come up with a solution that was easy for guests to use & wouldn’t cause tripping issues...I think this is it!

I cant quite figure out how I should go abot cutting my pieces for best placement? Keeping the pipes at the 10’ or less length is ideal for guest use.

Its a semi-kidney shaped 14’ wide x 29.5’ long (Not including the spillover spa). Any ideas on where i should place them?

19E162BB-D6B1-455A-96C7-2D60C5D19A6F.jpg

Photo from before refinish, when we purchased (with my MIL inside haha) gives a better view of the shape from head on...
3BD80B9F-A37E-48D8-9984-F6163FEC7A3D.jpg

Cutting my cover in 4 pieces worked fine. A minor increase in work/time to put on/take off, but overall just as good for me.

I used my rollers to lay on top to keep them from blowing off if a windy day.

For those who have made these how many sections would you recommend for this pool:

RugfuBl.png

I was thinking 3 sections... 2 12'x18' sections for the deep end and then an oddly shaped 14'x18' section for the shallow end. Thoughts?

EDIT - It looks like the only option for purchasing the pipe in my area is True Value... Is there any difference between these three options? Would any of them work?

PVC Schedule 40 Pipe, Foam Core,1-1/2-In. x 10-Ft., Plain End: Model# PVC041120600 | True Value

ABS DWV Foam Core Pipe, 1.5-In. x 10-Ft.: Model# 80011F | True Value

ABS DWV Foam Core Pipe, 1.5-In. x 10-Ft.: Model# ABS31120600HC | True Value

Just got my new solar cover and am planning on making two of these rollers. Hats of to mas985 on a great idea and something that can be made quite inexpensively. The only thing I'm not sure about are the fasteners. I'd like to use ones like this:

Anybody know where I can find them? I don't even know what they are called.

Mas985, I was wondering what your thoughts are on whether to go up in size to a 2" pipe instead of 1.5". Would it be stiffer and less likely to warp? I got a 20x40 12 mil clear cover and my pool is around 16 x 37 plus the spa. This is it.

This thread has been a wealth of information.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.