Concrete pool up north

Thanks everyone for all the support about my filter concerns and also for the informative posts about grilling and smoking :)

I've spent my time here on TFP educating myself about pool chemistry lately. The more I read the more interesting it get. I can tell you that I have done something right so far with our pool! I'm not saying that I have done a whole lot with it chemistry wise more then adding stabilizer and adjusting my swg's output and running time and of course meassuring the water. Something I love doing. I look so in controll when I take out my box and run all the tests :cool: I don't have much more experience about swimming pools than the onces I spent time in during vacations abroad every summer and I would say that our poolwater is in it's own league so far. I'm so happy and I have already got confirmation about how nice our poolwater feels and looks And I have not even let many people swim in there yet. Should be enjoyed by family first thats my motto :wink:

We had some good weather here a few days ago and we were planning for some people to come over and swim during the day and have them for dinner aswell in the evening. But after we had breakfast there at the 85 degree warm pool we just looked at each others and said, no we spend the day here just the four of us. Is that what you become as a poolowner? introverte and anti social...... Do I have to say that we had a great time that day. Unfortunately there have been some change in the weather since then and the temperature has dropped to 75 just over a few days. Can't be to unhappy though, we have been more than lucky with the weather and maybe can we see some improvements for tomorrow. If! I will turn on the heatpump again and hoping to reach 83 in the end of the day with a little help from the solar blankets :goodjob:

Fridge is on place and I have bought the gastubes and the hose and the regulator that I need for my gas driven wookpan. I was suppose to install it today but I gave up due to the weather. Talking about the kitcen(something I love doing :oops: ) that extra little bit of countertop really framed the kitchen the way I had it planned, so now when we are happy about the base construction is it just to finish it off, won't take long :cool:
I see now when I look at the picture that I should have poured the foundation to the fridge with black concrete aswell. But it won't be visible once the wood deck is layed beacuse it will be flush with the foundation but until then, it disturb my eyes a lil bit
And just for information is the fridge full of beverage already so I hope for the sun to shine tomorrow so I get a chance to feel how it is to grab one out there......

Until next time!
All the best :wave:[attachment=0:15rq1p4d]fridgeIMG_8470.gif[/attachment:15rq1p4d]

Attachments

• fridgeIMG_8470.gif
    fridgeIMG_8470.gif
    362.4 KB · Views: 744
Henry Porter said:
Thanks everyone for all the support about my filter concerns and also for the informative posts about grilling and smoking :)

I've spent my time here on TFP educating myself about pool chemistry lately. The more I read the more interesting it get. I can tell you that I have done something right so far with our pool! I'm not saying that I have done a whole lot with it chemistry wise more then adding stabilizer and adjusting my swg's output and running time and of course meassuring the water. Something I love doing. I look so in controll when I take out my box and run all the tests :cool: I don't have much more experience about swimming pools than the onces I spent time in during vacations abroad every summer and I would say that our poolwater is in it's own league so far. I'm so happy and I have already got confirmation about how nice our poolwater feels and looks And I have not even let many people swim in there yet. Should be enjoyed by family first thats my motto :wink:

My next "door" neighbor kids, when asked by a neighbor trying to recruit the neighborhood "heathens", "What church do you go to?", replied, "We have nature church every Sunday morning." Early in the morning they don't do chores, no electronics or phones, and the whole family has a nice, "in the buff" swim before a big country breakfast (mom and dad switch off doing the cooking). The "recruiting" neighbor was speechless and stopped "bothering" them about "church".

We had some good weather here a few days ago and we were planning for some people to come over and swim during the day and have them for dinner aswell in the evening. But after we had breakfast there at the 85 degree warm pool we just looked at each others and said, no we spend the day here just the four of us. Is that what you become as a poolowner? introverte and anti social......

:lol: You are showing serious signs of it.That can happen when you really like being with your family.

Do I have to say that we had a great time that day. Unfortunately there have been some change in the weather since then and the temperature has dropped to 75 just over a few days. Can't be to unhappy though, we have been more than lucky with the weather and maybe can we see some improvements for tomorrow. If! I will turn on the heatpump again and hoping to reach 83 in the end of the day with a little help from the solar blankets :goodjob:

Fridge is on place and I have bought the gastubes and the hose and the regulator that I need for my gas driven wookpan. I was suppose to install it today but I gave up due to the weather. Talking about the kitcen(something I love doing :oops: ) that extra little bit of countertop really framed the kitchen the way I had it planned, so now when we are happy about the base construction is it just to finish it off, won't take long :cool:
I see now when I look at the picture that I should have poured the foundation to the fridge with black concrete aswell. But it won't be visible once the wood deck is layed beacuse it will be flush with the foundation but until then, it disturb my eyes a lil bit
And just for information is the fridge full of beverage already so I hope for the sun to shine tomorrow so I get a chance to feel how it is to grab one out there......

Fantabulous :goodjob:

Until next time!
All the best :wave:

Hi Alice :wave:
I have to show you what a Murikka is. We made our first wook on it yesterday and it fabulously easy to use. It's not a traditional wookpan but more like a concave steakboard. The gas burner I have installed in the counter has two different burners that allows me to have different temps on the pan. It litterly makes it possible to make two dishes at the same time :goodjob:
It's quite big, doesen't show on the pic but it's 24" in diameter.[attachment=1:2cg30jr5]MurikkaIMG_8518.gif[/attachment:2cg30jr5][attachment=0:2cg30jr5]MurikkaIMG_8550.gif[/attachment:2cg30jr5]

Attachments

• MurikkaIMG_8545.gif
    MurikkaIMG_8545.gif
    268.6 KB · Views: 696
  • MurikkaIMG_8518.gif
    MurikkaIMG_8518.gif
    167.2 KB · Views: 698
  • MurikkaIMG_8550.gif
    MurikkaIMG_8550.gif
    145.4 KB · Views: 695
That pan is awesome, so useful and fun to work with, get one you will not regret it :)
I never cook with recepie cmbutterbaugh! I just take what we have in the kitchen at the moment and mix it the best I can :cool:
I have a simple guideline that I follow and that is not to mix more than two flavours in one dish. The simpler the better!
I was out looking for fresh whole atlantic herrings today but I coulden't get hold of any. That is what I want to try next on that pan, whole herrings lightly fried in rapeseed oil with salt, served with some fresh bread and a good olive oil. Doesen't that sounds good.....

Not much has happend pool wise more than I have put on the first layer of stucco on the inside and mounted up the outdoor shower. I enjoy the last chapter of this summer in every breath I take so for that reason is everything else lacking in this never ending project called concrete pool up north :-D
86 in the pool today and I have been in more than I have been out of it. Awesome water quality, feels like silk in the water and every number from todays test was in range :goodjob:

I was on a shrimp gozzle yesterday and I'm actually allergic to shrimps but I managed the whole evening without any sympthoms. Las time I had shrimps did I get a rash all over my body. Feels good to be able to write off one medical condition :goodjob:

C:ya
Mats

OMG, Mats -- been waiting 1.5 hours in 100+ temps for Dylan, but scored front row center!! Wishing you and your family were here and that we could go jump in your pool after this instead of my kiddie pool, but mine will work. Opening act just started and is good. Then Mellencamp and Dylan -- no cooler (MUST be 114 where we are standing), but at least there is music!

Mats, I've been lurking on your blog for a long time, admiring your work! But that wok pan compelled me write. It looks awesome and I have to show my wife, she'll love it. Your inspiring me to think about a small outdoor counter with a gas burner - maybe next year.

I can't figure out where you find the time and energy to get all that done with a family and work - keep it up - love seeing it!

All the best, Kelly

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Crek! Center front row :whoot: How long did you have to que for those seats... I never made it there and I have qued and have hoked up friends and families infront computers and telephones for every show I have attended to and always ended up with a handful of tickets that I had to sell. I think the closest I've been is row 5 and that has not been centered :(
I hope you were sober so you can cheries the memories for a loooong time :-D

Kelly here is a pic of my burner that I have made a simple metal foundation to stand on, I have attached it to the lower side of the counter, works perfect.
For a pan this big I think its good idea to have to different rings that you can run individually, hey! You probably knows much more about this than what I do :cheers:

Fudgebar everything is comparative but we have atleast three months per year when you can go in shorts without make a fool out of yourself :cool: From beginnning of May to the end of August is it summer and you can enjoy beachlife to some extent during that period. It's coming to an end and I can really feel the annually depression folding over me. What I hope for is a few more weekends with decent weather so we can enjoy our pool for a few more occasions this year. There is a slight chance this weekend according to the forecast, that not once this summer have been very accurate :hammer: :mrgreen:

Mirage I have a few things I want to cook on the Murikka before we close the store for the winter and since my goal is to keep this thread alive at any price will I post a few pics if it turns out the way I like it to :cool:

[attachment=0:hf9px327]brännareIMG_8606.gif[/attachment:hf9px327]

Attachments

• brännareIMG_8606.gif
    brännareIMG_8606.gif
    358.7 KB · Views: 397
mats, i can't add anything that hasn't already been said. i started reading this yesterday and finished this morning and what a journey that you have taken us forum members through! you should be proud of what you have accomplished and the process in which it was completed.

sorry to hear that your summer is coming to an end, i'd be happy to send you some heat from texas to extend that as we have as of today experienced 13 consecutive days of 100 degrees or hotter. current water temp is 91.....YUK

again, congratulations MATS!!!!!!!!

It's been very hot here in Cancun as well. At least we have a constant 6-8mph breeze which makes it tolerable. Our pool water has been too hot. (90 F /32.2 C)
I wish I could send Mats some of our too warm water. Your finished pool is great. Good job, Mats! :goodjob: :cheers:

Henry, how much time did/do you spend per day working on your pool, approximately?

How do you know how to do all this?.....are you a builder by trade with years of architectural experience, or did you just pick this up by reading and studying?....or you simply a stunning prodigy like this guy http://www.stephenwiltshire.co.uk/download_video.aspx?Id=2527

Tell me a little more about how you conduct your days and get inspired....I have a hard time cooking eggs and bacon for myself the kids in the morning...lol

thanks,

Lori

ajones02 said:
i started reading this yesterday and finished this morning
How could you! It's over 600 posts and we lost most of(if not all) the substance around post 300 lol!!!
Seriously! It's great that you found it worth reading ajou, thats really fun that you think's so. The way I have documented it has been to great help to myself both during and after the pool itself was finished. When I meet people that I haven't seen in a long time I just direct them to this thread when they ask me about the pool. That way don't I have to tell the same things over and over, so I guess many of the views are from people that I know. I will continue to log until the whole area is finished and what I can see today will that period strech over to next summer, alteast.

My main concern right now is to learn as much as I can about pool chemistry before the winterizing. That is something I find interesting and fun to learn more about. I know that I have to start with the masonry work that's left to do pretty soon but I'm confident that when I finally start It will go it pretty quick to finish it. Hopefully do we have some nice weather left over northern europe this year so I don't have to rush things :cool:
I came home today after spent the week on the other side of our country where the weather have been pretty good but here on thise side has it rained and been overcast pretty much the whole week so the pool temp has dropped to 78 :( But what a heck! we have a heatpump so I called my daughters on the way home and gave them directions on how to turn it on. So it raised to 80 by the time I got home, absolutely bathable :) I jumped in right after the gym :goodjob:

Tom hahaha great to have you back!
I had the worst restaurant experience yesterday when I should go out with a collegue and buy what I always eat when I'm alone at a hotel. Grilled chicken, tomatoes, carrots and still water. That is my way to remain a healthy diet away from home and to a very reasonable price. But there is only one hook! The grilled chicken can be hard to find. The store that I had bought the bird at the day before had none this evening. so we had no choice but to find a restaurant, well there did I order a good wine that I have drinked many times before, one of the more expensive bottles they had on the list. I don't know if it was beacuse we both was wearing shorts and t shirts that he came in with the wine already opened. I was so perplexed by this so i didn't find myself to complain. I expect an open bottle or served from a decanter if I order the wine of the house but if I choose something from the wine list I really want's to know what I drink.
I can't say for sure but I'm pretty convinced that this was an old bottle filled up with something else. That made me so mean both on the waiter but most on myself that I didn't have the guts to tell him to bring in an un opened bottle. Just the thought that he calculated with that this two people won't complaint is hard to melt. I'm pretty sure that if we had been dressed up he woulden't have done a thing like that. It's the ABC for a waiter to open and serve the wine out at the table and not to sneak in a open bottle. The food was in the same league, pretty awful and very pricey so when we took the half hour walk home that was meant to be a exercise from the beginning could we just laugh at it all. There we was, suppose to have a healthy low diet supper on our hotel room to a very reasonable price and instead was we full with greasy untasty and over priced food and a bit warm from the wine. So we went right in to the hotel bar and finished the evening there :cheers:
I'm sure that you never would have accepted a behaviour like that and I have promised myself not to be such a wimp next time.
Is somebody reading all this :shock:

lol Lori! I have many of those days when I can't get something done and when I'm so tired of it all but somehow I always get back to it one way or the other. Now when I have started work out again is that something that almost have become more important than the poolbuild. I always do things 100% or not at all. That goes for my training aswell. That is both a good thing and somtething that DW can find to frustrating from time to time.
This poolbuild for example! It was meant to be a an inbuilt above ground from the beginning, but after a winters research did I persuded DW to allow me to build a concrete pool instead wich I said was so much better and not much more expensice either :oops:
Even If I lied a little bit do I know I did the right thing if you see it in a long perspective. IMHO is it always better to do it right from the start instead of having to redo it down the road. I can alreday from this short time the pool have been open see how much she and all the rest of us have enjoyed it, and the area around it is not even half finished yet and that is the department she's most into.

I don't have a clue how much time I have spent on this project but it has been loads of job and most of it had been so much easier with four hands instead of two. I can tell you that I woulden't do again If I had to start over again. But when it's done it's done and we have saved so much money by doing this ourself's. Contractors are much more expensive here than it is over in the US. I could never reach the money to get someone build this pool for us so therefor there was not much of an opption than to sit down and learn from scratch. I'm pretty handy person to beginn with and more important! I never give up, I'm stubborn to the extent that I can walk through walls to finish what I have started. So I always finsih everything on a project and never let that last spline lay there, I can't stand see unfinished task's and from my point of view can I not start to enjoy whatever it is until everything is in place and that goes for that last spline aswell, that is something DW appreciate :goodjob: . There is a good chance that you will see this poolarea totally finished sometime next summer.
I love to talk about myself Lori!! The worst kind you know!!! lol!!!

Thanks Aussie battler! I'm sure you can apply whatever you want from our kitchen. It's a very simple build and absolutely something anyone can do without any training. Buy yourself a good cement mixer that you can sell once you're done. That is the best tool I have bought for this whole project. I started out first by renting it for every task but it was to much hassle and to expensive aswell. Once you have that you will find how simple it is to do various masonry work and how fun it is to work with materials like concrete and bricks. Take a bit of time in the beginnning but it won't take long until you have speed up the process to the level your wife never thought was possible :goodjob:

//Mats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.