Cloudy Pool After Algaecide and LOTS of Shock

Can you vacuum that stuff to waste?
I can and have several times but it wastes so much water… my pump seems to go pretty fast & has no speed adjustment option. At this point I want to wait and see if getting the filter serviced before I waste more precious water.

I can and have several times but it wastes so much water… my pump seems to go pretty fast & has no speed adjustment option. At this point I want to wait and see if getting the filter serviced before I waste more precious water.
You can also vac to “waste” using the siphon method. The process is similar to getting the manual vac going with the pump except instead of putting the hose in the skimmer after filling it up/evacuating all the air you simply throw it over the side of the pool to somewhere with a lower elevation than the pool bottom creating a siphon.
It still wastes a bit of water but not as much as when using the pump.
It is the only way I ever vac to waste .

Reactions: valvaltz
Can you brush it into a pile and then vacuum it to waste? That would save some water.
This is how I do heavy debris, like spring opening. It takes some tries, and lots of patience, but eventually the bulk of it ends up in a much smaller area that can be hit quick without much water loss.

Update for the patient folks that have been following this thread & kind with their sage guidance. We are on day 4563008385 of SLAM.

Filter was serviced today. Sand was absolutely filthy & whole thing cleaned out. We vacuumed everything out to waste—TWICE. Pool looked perfect. Less than 3 hours later the bottom is covered in dirt or mustard algae (pool guys assessment)… GRRR!

(Water has been VERY CLEAR for over a week.)

I’m at a loss?!

IMG_2070.jpegIMG_2068.pngIMG_2062.pngIMG_2059.jpegIMG_2603.jpeg

May be a little fine crud/dirt from the filter - backwashes aren’t perfect.
add a little de so it gets caught again. Going over slam level for your cya just wastes chlorine & risks damage to swimmers, equipment & your liner. If your cya is really 20 keep fc at 10ppm.

Filter was serviced today. Sand was absolutely filthy & whole thing cleaned out. We vacuumed everything out to waste—TWICE
Ok. So this was the only stone left unturned. Let's give it a day and reassess.
Less than 3 hours later the bottom is covered in dirt or mustard algae
How thick ? Visible from outside, or only noticeable if you brush ?

Reactions: Mdragger88
I am just going to mention that if the debris was non existent before the service person touched the filter it is possible that something got damaged or shifted whilst they were doing their work. I agree with new dude to give a day & reassess.
In the meantime, Can you try to gather the stuff up to see if it might be sand?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am just going to mention that if the debris was non existent before the service person touched the filter it is possible that something got damaged or shifted whilst they were doing their work. I agree with new dude to give a day & reassess.
In the meantime, Can you try to gather the stuff up to see if it might be sand?
Thanks for your replies. It doesn’t pile like Sand. 🤷🏼‍♀️

May be a little fine crud/dirt from the filter - backwashes aren’t perfect.
add a little de so it gets caught again. Going over slam level for your cya just wastes chlorine & risks damage to swimmers, equipment & your liner. If your cya is really 20 keep fc at 10ppm.
Definitely going to look into the DE. I am not really losing more than 1-1.5 ppm of chlorine overnight. Last night I lost none & cc has stayed 0.5 or less. I am pretty convinced this is left over crud plus pollen from my lovely but too close to the pool trees.

Reactions: Newdude
Definitely going to look into the DE. I am not really losing more than 1-1.5 ppm of chlorine overnight. Last night I lost none & cc has stayed 0.5 or less. I am pretty convinced this is left over crud plus pollen from my lovely but too close to the pool trees.
Be sure to follow this guide- not what is on the package of the d.e. as it can sometimes tell you to add way too much.

For the
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test be sure to test after your last addition of the night

Be sure to follow this guide- not what is on the package of the d.e. as it can sometimes tell you to add way too much.

Yes, I will definitely follow TFP guidance. Thanks!!
For the
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test be sure to test after your last addition of the night
For last night I extrapolated using the “effects of adding” feature to come to the conclusion I didn’t lose much if any chlorine. Last night FC was 15 and I the. added 96 oz 10% LC which theoretically would have raised by 12 ppm per pool math. Thus when I was still at 27 this morning, I was operating under the assumption that I had not lost more than 1 ppm over night.

I recognize this might be flawed but I’m burning through reagent. 💸

Yes, I will definitely follow TFP guidance. Thanks!!

For last night I extrapolated using the “effects of adding” feature to come to the conclusion I didn’t lose much if any chlorine. Last night FC was 15 and I the. added 96 oz 10% LC which theoretically would have raised by 12 ppm per pool math. Thus when I was still at 27 this morning, I was operating under the assumption that I had not lost more than 1 ppm over night.

I recognize this might be flawed but I’m burning through reagent. 💸
When you’re ready to call it off (end slam because you have met all the other criteria) you need to be sure you do a proper oclt.

Reactions: Bperry and Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.