Cloudy Pool After Algaecide and LOTS of Shock

With a sand filter, it won't wreck anything. Worst case is it may plug it up with dirt that back washing doesn't get out, requiring a deep cleaning. But in the many years I used floc with an undersized filter, there was no long term problem. The filter just promotes the floc breaking up into super fine particles again and puts them back into suspension in the pool.
That’s not been the experience of users around TFP. The floc can glue the sand particles together making the filter ineffective, requiring the sand to be replaced.

Reactions: Newdude
I never tried looking at a small sample, just judged by the amount of precipitate obviously accumulating on the bottom of the pool. It could be floc, algae, or both. Especially in corners and a few other spots where it seems to pile up more than others. But I would say that if it is noticeable in the sample, the same would be true in the pool, and more vacuuming will be needed. The floc is slightly heavier than water, so it will settle out in time, even with the pool running. It just takes longer as some diminishing part of it is kept in suspension. I'm a bit new at adopting the TFP methodology, so am hesitant to advise on Cl levels, system run time, etc. The overnight test (Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)) should give you a clear idea of when you have killed all the algae and can cut back your Cl additions to normal levels. Dead algae sinks to the bottom (slowly). You may want to consider just running your system long enough to mix in any new chlorine additions (a couple of hours), with the rest being off time to promote more settling. Test a couple of times a day, to make sure you aren't getting dips in the Cl levels due to sun, rain, etc. that could allow algae to come back. It will not be a quick process, but keeping up on it will eventually clear your pool. I usually tried to vac prior to times I knew others wanted to use it. Just so they wouldn't resuspend stuff on the bottom. If the water was somewhat cloudy, so be it - they wouldn't be adding to the issue.

So, in sum - the SLAM and OCLT are important to make sure you don't have on-going cloudiness due to live algae. Closely followed by periodic vac to waste of whatever builds up on the bottom.

I just ran across this article about the phosphate remover (Phosphate Removers - Further Reading), so it too is acting like the floc. Since you seem to have had an algae outbreak that started this whole thing, the warnings about it giving invalid test numbers seem appropriate. It seems the pool store had you add it at a time when it would do no good at all. It has never been a product I have used. I would tend to avoid its use, and just concentrate on having good Cl numbers to keep future algae in check.
Thanks so much ☺️

It’s going to be hard to know for sure with that stuff in the water. If floc-water passes through the filter, it’ll wreck the filter. So you need to do whatever you can to vacuum it out to waste so it doesn’t do that. If you’re confident it’s out of the water you can continue on with SLAM.
I think I’ve gotten most of it out of the water

That’s not been the experience of users around TFP. The floc can glue the sand particles together making the filter ineffective, requiring the sand to be replaced.
Just saying in my experience, being a decades long (now reformed) floc user I've never encountered a large problem such as that. In bad years, that may have meant use 3 (or more!) times during a summer. When I did open the filter to deep clean, there might be a thin layer of crust that easily crumbles, or a few "gobs" of sand (quarter sized) that I took out. But no wholesale gluing. Also not sayin' it doesn't happen, can't deny others experiences.
May be that I generally followed the floc instructions by using recirc. But there were desperate times when I followed the pool stores advice and put a few cups into a skimmer to be captured by the filter...(yeah, I now know that was very wrong....), but no bad result, just ineffective in clearing the water.

Since the OP will be deep cleaning his filter anyway, it will be easy for him to judge the condition of the sand and how sand like vs clumpy/sticky it is. Didn't want him to panic before panic was called for!

Just saying in my experience, being a decades long (now reformed) floc user I've never encountered a large problem such as that. In bad years, that may have meant use 3 (or more!) times during a summer. When I did open the filter to deep clean, there might be a thin layer of crust that easily crumbles, or a few "gobs" of sand (quarter sized) that I took out. But no wholesale gluing. Also not sayin' it doesn't happen, can't deny others experiences.
May be that I generally followed the floc instructions by using recirc. But there were desperate times when I followed the pool stores advice and put a few cups into a skimmer to be captured by the filter...(yeah, I now know that was very wrong....), but no bad result, just ineffective in clearing the water.

Since the OP will be deep cleaning his filter anyway, it will be easy for him to judge the condition of the sand and how sand like vs clumpy/sticky it is. Didn't want him to panic before panic was called for!
Thanks for sharing your experience. It gives me hope that my filter isn’t totally ruined.

I’m two weeks post op from shoulder surgery so I’m going to have to hire someone to come deep clean my sand filter and maybe replace the sand. Hubby is doing as much vacuum and brushing as he can and I’m in charge of the chemicals in this process. Team work for the win!

I’ll post some updated pics soon. I see some progress. It’s just slow going…

Updated photos attached. Need advice. On day 9 of SLAM. Can *almost* see to the bottom of pool.

This morning’s #s

FC 25
CC 0.5
CYA 50

I added a bit of stabilizer a couple of day ago because I’ve been backwashing and refilling a few inches each day. CYA had gotten to about 30 & with the UV exposure and intense heat here in Austin, I didn’t want it to get too low.

Also having the sand filter serviced for cleaning and sand change 7/5. I’m recently post shoulder surgery so I can’t do it myself.

Should I keep slamming? I am worried the high chlorine levels will damage the vinyl.

Thanks in advance for any advice 😊

Ps- any thoughts on how to remove the black mineral stains? I’ve tried baquacil with hydrochloride acid and ascórbic acid.

Attachments

• IMG_1942.jpeg
    IMG_1942.jpeg
    246.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1941.jpeg
    IMG_1941.jpeg
    346.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1940.jpeg
    IMG_1940.jpeg
    157.5 KB · Views: 7
Keep the FC at slam level until you pass the 3 parameters of a successful slam. The chlorine level is safe for equipment and people up to slam level for your CYA.

Brushing is important to break up the biofilm on the algae to allow the chlorine to kill it.

Reactions: valvaltz
Keep the FC at slam level until you pass the 3 parameters of a successful slam. The chlorine level is safe for equipment and people up to slam level for your CYA.

Brushing is important to break up the biofilm on the algae to allow the chlorine to kill it.
Thanks, RLP. Trying to brush and vacuum as much as possible but since I am recently post op I’ve had to rely on my hubby to do it (and he is not able to as much as I’d like).

FWIW, it doesn’t feel “slimy” on the pool surfaces and we’ve scrubbed the ladder & skimmer box. I also removed the foam from the flappy door to the skimmer (weir?).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
On day 12 of SLAM we can finally see the bottom. My liner has been bleached & stained on the water line from all the pool store chemicals.

Lost 4 ppm of chlorine overnight so we will continue to SLAM.

Question: is there a particular order I should attempt to rebalance the water in once FC is back in non-SLAM ranges?

Attachments

• IMG_1949.jpeg
    IMG_1949.jpeg
    284.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1952.jpeg
    IMG_1952.jpeg
    196.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1950.jpeg
    IMG_1950.jpeg
    204.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1951.jpeg
    IMG_1951.jpeg
    272.4 KB · Views: 18
Can finally see the bottom of the pool reliably. Is this algae or is this just pollen/dust? It’s mildly windy today and there are two trees next to our pool.

Also how in the heck would I clean the inside of this ladder? Or do I just need to let it sit in the SLAM water for X number of hours/days?

Attachments

• IMG_1960.jpeg
    IMG_1960.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    801.3 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 19
Tough to discern with the photos. When you brush it does it kind of poof and dissapear, or does it kind of move around?

Soaking the ladder probably wont do it. It really needs to be brushed out. Can it be removed from the pool?

You're gaining on it though. Keep up the good work.

Tough to discern with the photos. When you brush it does it kind of poof and dissapear, or does it kind of move around?

Soaking the ladder probably wont do it. It really needs to be brushed out. Can it be removed from the pool?

You're gaining on it though. Keep up the good work.
It doesn’t poof like the previous algae I experience but it does disappear. How in the heck? I’ve maintained super high chlorine levels for over 2 weeks now.

The ladder can be removed but I don’t think the inside of the ladder can be cleaned. I’ve had my hubby diligently brush it thoroughly. Should I consider replacing?

Thanks so much for your help. I’ve been telling everyone with a pool about this site!!

Id bet that the ladder has a build up in it that is not helping. Algae can hide in ladders, behind lights, under main drain covers. Maybe those "feet" at the bottom on the inside can be removed? There might be rivets that need to be drilled out. It might be worth removing the ladder for a while to eliminate that from the equation .

I think you are at about the point where Pool Owner Patience comes into play.

What are the results of your last test?

maybe @Newdude or @Texas Splash can add their thoughts.

Id bet that the ladder has a build up in it that is not helping. Algae can hide in ladders, behind lights, under main drain covers. Maybe those "feet" at the bottom on the inside can be removed? There might be rivets that need to be drilled out. It might be worth removing the ladder for a while to eliminate that from the equation .

I think you are at about the point where Pool Owner Patience comes into play.

What are the results of your last test?

maybe @Newdude or @Texas Splash can add their thoughts.
Last test results are as follows
Today @ 8:20 pm

FC 31.5
CC 0.5

Last night lost 3 ppm of FC. Not sure if my logs are visible to all users?

Good morning! After reviewing this thread, perhaps the one thing I would've emphasized right at the beginning was to remove the ladder. Not sure how old it is, but when there is algae in the water, ladders are a perfect home for it. If someone can pull it out I would. If you can't disassemble the steps or supporting frame, there may be openings that you can inject some chlorine directly into it with a syringe or turkey baster.

You've already discussed the floc issue and hopefully that's all behind you by now. Sounds like you're going to change the sand, or at least have it deep cleaned, in the near future so that's good.

The progress is clear in your latest pics, so keep up the great work. Watch the FC so you don't go too high. If you are confident with your CYA of 50, an FC of 20 is just fine. Let the FC drift down a bit closer to the proper SLAM level and consider doing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. Curious to know if you still have a thriving algae issue, or if that's just dead stuff waiting to get filtered.

Reactions: RLP and valvaltz
Thank you @Texas Splash & @RLP. I will have my hubby remove the ladder as soon as he can. I just had shoulder surgery so I am with only one working arm. I’ve been back washing & replacing with tap water so my CYA is probably closer to 40 now. I’ll let it drift down closer to the numbers in the spreadsheet. I’ve been overdoing the LC as it’s been so sunny and hot here I’m afraid it will drift below SLAM between chemistry checks.

Attached is a pic of the debris I can see on the bottom now.

Thanks again so much for all of your help!!

Edit:
This morning’s numbers
FC 29.5
CC 0.5

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 7

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.