Chlorine lock why!!!

That should give your water a good kick in the pants. Is the FC holding now?
Not really. The 2 gallons I just added only brought it up to .8PPM. Going to dump another 2 gallons in now. I pour it into the return jet flow. 1 at the long end of the pool pointing towards the other that is opposite of the skimmer and is pointed directly at the skimmer. This is beyond unbelievable!!!

The 2 gallons I just added only brought it up to .8PPM.
You will need to add more. While two gallons "should" increase the FC to about 10 ppm on a normal day, this is not normal. You have a bacteria or ammonia issue that is aggressively consuming your chlorine "immediately" upon hitting the water. That is why it is so important to add the chlorine and re-test no later than 10 minutes after adding. If you have to, test again in 5 minutes if it helps. But the FC cannot be allowed to fall to zero or the bacteria/ammonia in the water will simply remain.

Anyone ever here of an ammonia problem this bad?
We have. They can be quite bad. Next time you test the FC, please show us the CCs. James is looking for that to help us confirm the potential ammonia situation, or to see if there are others issues that should be considered.

Also post your pH please.

Reactions: Mdragger88
We have. They can be quite bad. Next time you test the FC, please show us the CCs. James is looking for that to help us confirm the potential ammonia situation, or to see if there are others issues that should be considered.

Also post your pH please.
Just tested. 12PPM then added 5 drops of R003 and no CC. Didn't even get a faint hint of pink after adding the 5 drops of R003. That's a total of 13 gallons since 5:00 PM yesterday! Went out looking for my dog. Wife closed door to boiler room this morning not realizing he was in there. Called him didn't answer so I didn't bother opening the door to see if he was in there. Drove around the neighborhood panicking looking for him. Came home and checked the boiler room and out he comes looking at me like why didn't you let me out when you came down here!!! 3 year old cream colored 21LB male Shiba Inu.

I'd re-read the article...follow the process or it will take a long time...
  1. Dose the pool to SLAM level of 10 ppm
  2. Do not add any CYA until chlorine begins to hold
  3. Test chlorine every 30 minutes until chlorine begins to hold. Add chlorine as needed to get back to 10 ppm. FC will likely test close to 0 until you get to the next step
  4. You will know when the chlorine begins to hold when you begin seeing FC testing > 3 ppm after 30 minutes.
  5. When you see a significant jump in FC from the prior 30 minute test CYA can be added back into the pool. Limit the CYA to 30 ppm for the duration of the process
  6. Increase the FC target to 12 ppm and follow the steps in the SLAM Process until the criteria of “Done” are all met.
  7. Follow the SLAM Process FC test procedures. You no longer a need to test every 30 minutes at this stage.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'd re-read the article...follow the process or it will take a long time...
  1. Dose the pool to SLAM level of 10 ppm
  2. Do not add any CYA until chlorine begins to hold
  3. Test chlorine every 30 minutes until chlorine begins to hold. Add chlorine as needed to get back to 10 ppm. FC will likely test close to 0 until you get to the next step
  4. You will know when the chlorine begins to hold when you begin seeing FC testing > 3 ppm after 30 minutes.
  5. When you see a significant jump in FC from the prior 30 minute test CYA can be added back into the pool. Limit the CYA to 30 ppm for the duration of the process
  6. Increase the FC target to 12 ppm and follow the steps in the SLAM Process until the criteria of “Done” are all met.
  7. Follow the SLAM Process FC test procedures. You no longer a need to test every 30 minutes at this stage.

Is there something that's making you think I'm not following the process? I'm not going to stay up all night to keep FC at 10. It was 11 at 11:00 PM and 0 at 6:00 AM. I brought it back up to 10PPM. It took 6 gallons to get to 11PPM last night. I readded 2 gallons at a time this morning to see how fast it was going up compared to last night. As I understand it my chlorine reading is free chlorine if there's no CC. Water is losing the ammonia smell and steadily becoming clear! FC went from 12PPM down to 9PPM from 10:00 AM until now. I just added 64OZ and will check in 30 minutes.

It's good your pH and TA have not dropped low. The fact you are showing signs of holding the FC is good, so I think you are ready to introduce stabilizer to your pool so that you can transition into the regular SLAM Process. Next time you check your FC, if it's between 8-10 ppm, add 30 ppm of stabilizer via the sock method. Then do your best to maintain an FC of "12" from here on which will be your standard SLAM level until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. If you have any questions, or if your next FC test proves to be exceptionally low, let us know.

Reactions: PoolStored
In case you need it .......................

Adding CYA:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. After soaking for about 20-30 minutes, squeeze the sock often to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Once the stabilizer is all dissolved and in the water, your #1 task is to do your best, schedule permitting, to maintain the FC of 12. Naturally we expect you can't be poolside all day long. Don't try to over-shoot by a few ppm, just replenish it when you return from an errand, work, etc. The stabilizer should help to hold the FC level better from the sun and reduce the amount of tests required each day, but for this early part of the SLAM Process, you may need to continue testing fairly regularly. You should begin to see a pattern where the FC holds better, how long you can go between testing, and chlorine additions to maintain that ~12 mark.

Test chlorine [and replace] every 30 minutes until the chlorine begins to hold. It is a one period of time exercise, not a multiple day exercise...
It's good your pH and TA have not dropped low. The fact you are showing signs of holding the FC is good, so I think you are ready to introduce stabilizer to your pool so that you can transition into the regular SLAM Process. Next time you check your FC, if it's between 8-10 ppm, add 30 ppm of stabilizer via the sock method. Then do your best to maintain an FC of "12" from here on which will be your standard SLAM level until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. If you have any questions, or if your next FC test proves to be exceptionally low, let us know.
I use the sock method at both return jets. It works really well. I caught a good day to start the slam. Not much sun. A few strong bursts of sunshine but most of the day has been cloudy with a few showers. The ammonia smell is definitely going away! It takes 7LBS of CYA in my pool to get to 30PPM. As I write this the sun is blaring on the pool.

Reactions: Texas Splash
It takes 7LBS of CYA in my pool to get to 30PPM. As I write this the sun is blaring on the pool.
With CYA in the water and the FC starting to hold after the initial battle, we'll be curious to know later today how your experience is going. Hopefully the FC will begin to hold better for you and the normal SLAM Process can continue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.