Chlorine lock why!!!

Here we go again! No problems since the middle of June when I completed the slam. Been keeping a minimum of 3PPM free chlorine. Add 50oz at night. Check in the morning and have 5PPM. When I get home in the late afternoon it's at 3PPM. Awesome. Saturday I added about 3LBS a cyanuric acid. We've had heavy rains that added about 5 inches of water in the course of a week. This brought the cyanuric acid to 40PPM. I noticed the water was getting slightly cloudy on Sunday. I vacuumed the pool and backwashed the filter. The water was pretty cloudy coming out of the backwash. The pressure was only 2LBS higher than the start point which is 10LBS. The sand is 2 years old. Monday no change. Yesterday we had some very heavy rain that added just under 2 inches of water to the pool. Backwashed and rinsed to lower the level. I noticed this morning the water was a lot more cloudy and tonight I cannot see the deep end. The cyanuric acid dropped 15PPM and there was no chlorine. I added 192oz of 12.5% about half hour ago. Did a quick check of free chlorine and at least was getting a reading. Will check in the AM when the water has circulated over night. Is it possible that the combined high humidity heavy rain and water temp averaging 85 degrees over the last 10 days is causing this. The water temp hit 88 twice over the last 10 days. Solar cover hasn't been on for 2 weeks. Hoping another slam isn't necessary. Went from clear to cloudy in 24 hours with all levels good. Well chlorine was good until tonight.

FC 5PPM last night will check in the AM
PH 7.4PPM
TA 110PPM
CH 240PPM
Cyanuric acid 25PPM as of now from 40PPM last night

Is there a reason you’re keeping the chlorine so low? If you get a measurement that says it’s 3 ppm then you should add chlorine right away and not wait till the next morning and you should dose it up to 7ppm

Reactions: proavia and Newdude
Agree with @Bperry - I think you flirted with a low chlorine level too much. With a bit of uncertainty in your CYA measurements (we all struggle with that) I suspect you let algae get a toehold. You're catching it early and your CYA is not too high, I'd check CYA and pH and get your FC up to SLAM level ASAP.

FYI 25 or 35 PPM CYA levels don't really exist, you always round up if you think you're in-between. Good luck!!

Reactions: Newdude
The 8 inches of rainwater could certainly lower the CYA a little as well as the high temperature degrading it. Are you heating the water or is that naturally that hot? Ours Down here isn’t even close to that hot

Last edited:
When we say minimum, it's a cliff. Stay plenty back and see the sights from afar. Let the idiots run up to the edge and fall over trying to get Insta selfies.

Minimum sounds WAY to ok for my liking. If it was up to me we'd call it 'bullet train to Swampville'.

Is there a reason you’re keeping the chlorine so low? If you get a measurement that says it’s 3 ppm then you should add chlorine right away and not wait till the next morning and you should dose it up to 7ppm
That is where I have always kept it. 5 at night goes down to 3 by the time I get home. I will make 5 minimum now. Up until the last few years was never a problem.

Agree with @Bperry - I think you flirted with a low chlorine level too much. With a bit of uncertainty in your CYA measurements (we all struggle with that) I suspect you let algae get a toehold. You're catching it early and your CYA is not too high, I'd check CYA and pH and get your FC up to SLAM level ASAP.

FYI 25 or 35 PPM CYA levels don't really exist, you always round up if you think you're in-between. Good luck!!
I know 25 and 35 don't exist. I'm an exact kind of guy. Just posted those numbers to get the gist of how much it dropped.

The 8 inches of rainwater could certainly lower the CYA a little as well as the high temperature degrading it. Are you heating the water or is that naturally that hot? Ours Down here isn’t even close to that hot
No pool heater. Had a solar cover on and took it off a few weeks ago. That temp is 6 feet down. I have a probe in the pool. My pool gets full sun most of the day. My wife says don't disturb the warm layer. I say yuck way to warm for me and dive in to get to the cool stuff.

You may or may not win the FC battle on a daily basis and surely are busy with it. Instead you can always keep the FC on the hot side, still would need to dose daily but would be able to enjoy it and relax much more easily.
I add 50oz Dailey whether or not the pool needs it. I figure on cloudy days when the chlorine degrades very little keeps the level on the high side for when the sun does come back out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No pool heater. Had a solar cover on and took it off a few weeks ago. That temp is 6 feet down. I have a probe in the pool. My pool gets full sun most of the day. My wife says don't disturb the warm layer. I say yuck way to warm for me and dive in to get to the cool stuff.
Ok. The extra heat certainly doesn’t help the stabilizer issue. My parents have the same disagreement on their pool, but my family all seem to enjoy it a bit warmer, but definitely not 88.

Ok. The extra heat certainly doesn’t help the stabilizer issue. My parents have the same disagreement on their pool, but my family all seem to enjoy it a bit warmer, but definitely not 88.
All is well. Had a gallon and a half left that I dumped in last night. Couldn't see the drain in the deep end. Didn't check before I left for work to foggy. Just did a chemical check. Water much clearer. Not sparkling clear but huge improvement from last night. Can easily see the drain in the deep end. It's 10 feet down. FC is only 2.0 but that's after full sun all day minus the .22 inch of downpour in 5 minutes. Just added enough to bring it to 7PPM and will run filter all night. Cleared up as fast as it clouded up. I will now add 64oz per day instead of the 50 I was adding.

Cyanuric acid 30PPM
FC 2PPM
PH 7.4
TA 110
TH 240

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-07-06-18-11-05-37_aa17207b2fdd1d98a56b347e71d60713.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-07-06-18-11-05-37_aa17207b2fdd1d98a56b347e71d60713.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: PieterS and Newdude
When we say minimum, it's a cliff. Stay plenty back and see the sights from afar. Let the idiots run up to the edge and fall over trying to get Insta selfies.

Minimum sounds WAY to ok for my liking. If it was up to me we'd call it 'bullet train to Swampville'.

If I were TFP King, I would eliminate the minimum column/figures and rename Target as Minimum. There are countless posts here where people got close to minimum and “fell off the cliff”.

+1.

This ain't like 'doing the minimum' at work.

This is the minimum amount of bloodflow to keep you alive. And people full blown tango with it, rose in the mouth and all.

Reactions: Saturn94
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.