Ct
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Just curious do I still need a pool alarm with an auto cover? I know my pb was going to install one but kinda makes no sense to me. I mean if the cover is closed how can you use the alarm?

It really depends upon the pool codes for your municipality. I would check there.
Yes I will call them today, I couldn't find much info online about it. I just wanted to hear how everyone on here delt with it. Not only to pass inspection but also going forward.

I saw this thread but it's almost 10 years old was curious of anyone else had this come up more recent. I did talk with the manufacturer they are not sure and are going to look into it. I'm also going to call my town and see if they have an answer.

Maybe a floating alarm with a wireless remote.
They do have subsurface alarms this might be the direction...my original thought was to save the money on an alarm since the auto cover being closed its kind of redundant having the alarm. But if I have to pay for ot I might as well get one I can use with the cover on...

Reactions: JamesW
.my original thought was to save the money on an alarm since the auto cover being closed its kind of redundant having the alarm
If the codes applied common sense (YMMV locally), the auto cover wouldn't be acceptable in lieu of alarms as nothing would stop you from leaving the cover open when not in use.

If the codes applied common sense (YMMV locally), the auto cover wouldn't be acceptable in lieu of alarms as nothing would stop you from leaving the cover open when not in use.
The codes are not intended to circumvent common sense. Each pool owner should realize that a large body of water could cause an accident. Diligence is utmost when owning a pool.

I wanted to attach pertinent pages for the ordinance here in Las Vegas. Each municipality probably has their own guidelines. I used this local ordinance and common sense with my auto cover. Most importantly, my permit was approved (page 4). I highlighted in yellow what guided my O/B.

1_title_page.png 2_barrier_page.png 3_seconary_barriers.png 4_option_5.png

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Note: For my pool and following the codes, I alerted the inspector that I/we could not meet the criteria specified on page 4, section 305.11 Barrier Timeliness. All required access barrier elements shall be installed prior to:. Point 2. The pre-plaster inspection of a conventionally constructed pool or spa.

Auto covers are installed over a filled pool. The inspector spoke to their supervisor and they contemplated enforcing the alarm provision. I firmly pointed out this is their ordinance and per their ordinance an alarm is not required when installing an auto cover. They recognized that they would have to amend their ordinance to account for auto cover installation after the pre-plaster inspection which is normally the final inspection. For me, they had to come back out within the week after the auto cover was installed. I had to demonstrate that it opened and closed completely, then I received the final approval.

While this is true, one can leave a gate open as well if they have a fence, or not use the alarm. There is human error in everything...in my case my backyard is completely fenced in, I have no kids, not one of my neighbors do either. My backyard has 3 sides woods, I have a rear lot 450' drivway... My biggest inspiration of getting the auto cover was so I didn't have to have a fence around my pool and then another one around my yard this way it can be open. Plus to keep my 4 dogs out when I don't want them to swim.
I'm retired, my wife works from home someone is always home plus I have cameras everywhere which I get notifications with motion.
By no means am I trying to be irresponsible. It just seems, in my case, redundant to have a safety cover with an alarm
I called my local building department they didn't know the answer but said they would find out and let me know...

one can leave a gate open
Gates have to be self closing for that reason, and also outward swing so someone can't push the gate in without considerable force. It takes a deliberate effort to prop them open with something.

By no means am I trying to be irresponsible. It just seems, in my case, redundant to have a safety cover with an alarm
Absolutely with your situation. With teens who already had a pool since kindergarten, the door and pool alarm were a waste of money for me on build #2, but codes are for all situations, not just ours.

Keep us posted on what they say. (y)

Well I found this for Ct, it looks like you still need an alarm in order to pass inspection. I will still wait and see what my local municipality says tho...just got word from my pb pool starts next week woohoo.
One other thing I did find was that because if the auto cover even those my house acts as the forth wall (backyard fenced in) I don't have to alarm the house (doors windows etc).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231012_194050.jpg
    Screenshot_20231012_194050.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.