Back-washing

I’ve heard several different opinions about back washing. I have a 13,000 gallon size pool. How often should I be back washing?
What type of filter do you have?
How much debris falls in your pool? I.e. do you have lots of trees nearby and wind blowing leaves and debris into the pool? Is your skimmer basket always full?
Do you monitor the filter pressure routinely?

What type of filter do you have?
How much debris falls in your pool? I.e. do you have lots of trees nearby and wind blowing leaves and debris into the pool? Is your skimmer basket always full?
Do you monitor the filter pressure routinely?
Thanks for the questions. Triton II sand filter. Yes I have trees and empty skimmer basket a couple times a day. I do need to monitor the pressure gauge a little more.

Why do you think you need to backwash?

Is your filter pressure high?
Is your flow back to the pool low?

I have two DE filters that I never backwash. I just open and clean then when the pressure goes up. Usually about twice a year.

Every pool is different, you just need to find what works best for you.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: jark87
A simple place to start is to backwash when pressure rises 25% over clean pressure. The exact psi & frequency that will be is different for each pool. If you don’t experience reduced flow at 25% you can try letting it go a little higher.
I have a 250# sand filter & a 26k gal pool & stick to around 25% increase, I generally backwash maybe a handful of times per season.

Thanks for the questions. Triton II sand filter. Yes I have trees and empty skimmer basket a couple times a day. I do need to monitor the pressure gauge a little more.
The standard recommendation states that when your filter pressure increase 25% above the baseline clean pressure you should backwash the filter. So if your baseline (clean filter) is 20psi then when it reaches 25psi you should backwash.
It is not related to pool volume or how many hours you run a pump. It has a lot to do with how much debris accumulates in the filter.

Now it is also important to monitor this at the same pump speed. So if you have a variable speed pump, just ensure you are checking the pressures when the speed is the same each time. If you have a single speed pump then it is always running at the same speed.

There is a good article for Sand Filters

If you maintain the proper chlorine level, there's no reason to backwash weekly.

In previous years I backwashed my filter because rain over filled it. I figured if I had to pump it out, I should backwash. Last year we didn't get much rain and I don't think I backwashed in July or August.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

It is your pool and you can run it anyway you want, but I suggest that you backwash for a reason, not because someone said to do it. ;)

Thanks,

Jim R.
Well, I’m a newer pool owner, only a few summers, so that’s why I’m asking more experienced owners.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Pool company that opens my pool tell me to backwash my system weekly. I’ve read different opinions on this.
This is overkill- sand filters actually work better when they are a little bit dirty hence the tfp recommendation to wait until pressure rises 25% over clean pressure.
Be sure to check out
Pool Care Basics & the other pool school articles to get a better understanding for what your pool actually does & does not need & why vs what the pool company/pool store advises.

Reactions: aschaeffer12
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.