Marcite pool Resurface?

USMC-AV8R

Feb 27, 2024
Jacksonville Beach FL
Hey all, new to TFP, I’ve been reviewing multiple threads concerning Pool Resurfacing options. The previous owner had used some sort of paint covering on the old Marcite. We had the pool drained for awhile and there was a lot of chipping, surface peeling going on. Getting ready to drain again, will start with a major power washing, searching for/repairing deadspots, etc once that is complete. I have had several estimates done from local Jacksonville FL companies. Lot of price variation but all very spendy. The prior owner was a crazy contractor, that literally went to jail the day we closed. I already spent 160 Large to rebuild our seawall and boat house that he screwed up. While I know you get what you pay for, (hopefully?) , I would like to resurface the pool properly but at the most cost effective method. My son and I are very willing to do hardcore grunt work if it saves money. Anyone aware of resurfacing teams that will work directly with the homeowner? Unfortunately, I’ve learned that larger companies in this area (Ponte Vedra Beach, JAX beach) are used to throwing out big numbers to rich, older folks, as many will pay it. Not my kind of contractors. 🥴 If any of you have had similar circumstances or have given previous expert opinions on the latest options, techniques, materials, etc…I would greatly appreciate it if you could send me any links, suggestions, etc. Thx Eric R

Welcome to TFP.

What sort of quotes are you getting?

With or without a full chipout?

Sounds like your pool should get a full chipout. If you and your son can do the heavy work of the chipout and preparing the pool for plaster it can save you some money. Then find a plaster crew who will roll in for a day and apply the plaster.

@setsailsoon is in the midst of an OB and has been pricing out contractors.

Last edited:
Hey all, new to TFP, I’ve been reviewing multiple threads concerning Pool Resurfacing options. The previous owner had used some sort of paint covering on the old Marcite. We had the pool drained for awhile and there was a lot of chipping, surface peeling going on. Getting ready to drain again, will start with a major power washing, searching for/repairing deadspots, etc once that is complete. I have had several estimates done from local Jacksonville FL companies. Lot of price variation but all very spendy. The prior owner was a crazy contractor, that literally went to jail the day we closed. I already spent 160 Large to rebuild our seawall and boat house that he screwed up. While I know you get what you pay for, (hopefully?) , I would like to resurface the pool properly but at the most cost effective method. My son and I are very willing to do hardcore grunt work if it saves money. Anyone aware of resurfacing teams that will work directly with the homeowner? Unfortunately, I’ve learned that larger companies in this area (Ponte Vedra Beach, JAX beach) are used to throwing out big numbers to rich, older folks, as many will pay it. Not my kind of contractors. 🥴 If any of you have had similar circumstances or have given previous expert opinions on the latest options, techniques, materials, etc…I would greatly appreciate it if you could send me any links, suggestions, etc. Thx Eric R
I just finished that same process right before winter started. My advice would be that you want a full chip out of the existing plaster. Every contractor you find will probably suggest that it’s not necessary, but if you have that much delamination, and the pool has been empty for any period of time that can often finish off whatever plaster is in there. And if you’re going to spend $10-$15,000 replacing the plaster you don’t want it to come up again.

Try going to a few local pool shops and ask them for recommendations on who they would use to plaster a pool. Those are usually the guys that the big companies will hire their jobs out to.

Reactions: setsailsoon
MC,

Welcome to TFP! You've come to the right place and have a lot on your hands right to start! I'm a semi-retired project manager and I managed our house build two years ago south of you in Palm City. Started my pool build a couple weeks ago. I found finding subs that will work with OB pool projects a little more difficult than the house project. Main reason for this is the individual contracts are much smaller so most of them work for a couple builders that will award 6 pools at a time. Or they do larger jobs but are almost full-time for a custom builder that does mostly high end pools starting at $200K. Since you're only looking for re-plaster you should find it easier since many of them work for home-owners with older pools as well as pool builders. Mostly I've found they don't want to work more than an hour's drive so the folks I have will not likely work in your area but I'll ask if they have any contacts in Jacksonville area that may be able to help. Can you please provide some additional information about your pool by adding the "signature". This will help our experts provide you with answers quicker and help them be more efficient with their volunteer time. It's very easy to do, here's how. I would also suggest you make a table with your current bids to compare a number of items:
  • Scope of work, what is included and as important what's not?
  • Owner responsibilities
  • Warranty
  • Certifications (like National Plaster Council etc)
  • Years of experience
  • References
  • Similar work
  • Price (there's a reason this isn't first)
  • Sample contract terms (look for fair payment terms, reasonable two-way risk sharing including indemnification)
You'll usually have to cycle through with your bidders one or two times to fill out the table but it's well worth the effort. Do call the references, it's worth every bit of your time and you learn a lot even if you don't get a response. I ended up visiting pool projects in the area and talking to the subs directly. This is a great way to find them and when I ran into the builder I just told him I was looking to build a pool and wanted to see how it's done. This rarely happened since most PB's rarely visit except the most expensive builders that I couldn't afford... another reason I went OB. One last thing I'd mention is make sure you visit all subs work currently in progress. You don't have to be an expert. Just look for good house-keeping, organized materials layout and clean up areas. Also, look around if there are a lot of people standing around not working that's an indication the sub hasn't planned well. When you get to the final couple ask them about their workman's comp multiplier. This should be 1 or less. More than that indicates a lot of accidents. Safe contractors are also usually good quality.

I hope this is helpful and please let me know if you have any other questions.

Chris

Thank you Chris, great Info, we were almost neighbors, had a contract on a Canal home in Palm Coast that fell thru..PCis prob more my style when I retire but my wife wanted to be near my sister in PVB. I’ll finally get a decent chunk of days off next week, planning on draining the pool, power washing and then I will take stock of the condition, etc. Will get some good pics, etc. I would definitely appreciate any referrals your guys might know up in the greater Jax area, if they don’t travel. Appreciate your time. Eric

Thank you Chris, great Info, we were almost neighbors, had a contract on a Canal home in Palm Coast that fell thru..PCis prob more my style when I retire but my wife wanted to be near my sister in PVB. I’ll finally get a decent chunk of days off next week, planning on draining the pool, power washing and then I will take stock of the condition, etc. Will get some good pics, etc. I would definitely appreciate any referrals your guys might know up in the greater Jax area, if they don’t travel. Appreciate your time. Eric
Be very careful power washing. I wasn’t super clear above but even low power pressure washers can dig through the plaster and break it loose from the shell.

Reactions: setsailsoon