Any ideas what this is? It will not brush off. I used yellow trine, and it really didnt do much. Maybe made it a little lighter. Pebble is 8 years old

Hi and welcome!

Are these spots throughout the pool?

How long have they been there?

What do you use to chlorinate?

What chemicals have been added to the pool?

Thank you!. Only the 5 spots that you see in the second image. Started as one spot, and has slowly expanded over the last month. I have the pentair ic30 chlorine generator and I supplement with liquid chlorine when it shuts down due to cold water temps. So far I have only added yellow trine...2 caps full. That was added on Friday.

TFP does not recommend using that product as noted in the link provided above. It can cause you issues down the road if it hasn’t already.
Have you done an overnight chlorine loss test to check for algae?
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Have you tried rubbing the area with vitamin C to determine if it’s iron/rust?

Have you tried putting a chlorine tablet on it to see if it diminishes?

Below is some additional reading so you can provide us with your test results if you’d like input:
Test Kits Compared
Pool Care Basics
PoolMath

Reactions: Mdragger88
TFP does not recommend using that product as noted in the link provided above. It can cause you issues down the road if it hasn’t already.
Have you done an overnight chlorine loss test to check for algae?
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Have you tried rubbing the area with vitamin C to determine if it’s iron/rust?

Have you tried putting a chlorine tablet on it to see if it diminishes?

Below is some additional reading so you can provide us with your test results if you’d like input:
Test Kits Compared
Pool Care Basics
PoolMath
So I placed a chlorine tab in last night over the spots, and now they are gone. Is it safe to assume that the spots were in fact algae? I have since found several smaller spots throughout the pool, so I keep repositioning the chlorine tab over those as well.

If the chlorine removed them, they were organic in nature.

How much of the YellowTrine did you add?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support