Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: table showing relationship between pH TA and CO2 outgassing

1. Back To Top    #1

table showing relationship between pH TA and CO2 outgassing

Hi
    I saw on this website a link to a table showing the relationship of pH to TA and CO2 outgassing but...
    Cannot find anymore.

Does anyone recall the link?

thank you
    IG under fir trees and one cherry surrounded by grass built in 1979, 30k, plaster, old Sta-Rite HRPB30, 4.9 sq.ft, 20 GPM/sq.ft., but with new glass, new (in 2012) 1 HP WhisperFlo one speed, new (in 2013) Rainbow tab chlorinator attached at the top, old Maxi-Flo Heat Exchanger MF-260, Burnham V7 oil heater 245 MBH, new (in 2012) Compool to Easytouch, Taylor K-2005 and TF-100.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: table showing relationship between pH TA and CO2 outgass

search for posts by chem geek. I believe he's the one linked to it.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

You can search "pH TA and CO2 outgassing" in the site google search, top right in menu bar.

Welcome
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Advanced Pool Chemistry. I believe you want the fourth chart down from the top.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Advanced Pool Chemistry. I believe you want the fourth chart down from the top.
    different chart but same data, thank you
    IG under fir trees and one cherry surrounded by grass built in 1979, 30k, plaster, old Sta-Rite HRPB30, 4.9 sq.ft, 20 GPM/sq.ft., but with new glass, new (in 2012) 1 HP WhisperFlo one speed, new (in 2013) Rainbow tab chlorinator attached at the top, old Maxi-Flo Heat Exchanger MF-260, Burnham V7 oil heater 245 MBH, new (in 2012) Compool to Easytouch, Taylor K-2005 and TF-100.

6. Back To Top    #6

It's this chart in table format.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    that's it! thank you

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek

got it, thanks
    what does red / black mean? (sorry if I missed it)

9. Back To Top    #9

There are at least three colors involved, and I don't see any of them as black. Still, the color most like black means that outgassing will be slow, while the diagonal stripe of brighter red means outgassing will occur at some intermediate rate. While the bottom left darker red means outgassing will proceed rapidly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    There are at least three colors involved, and I don't see any of them as black. Still, the color most like black means that outgassing will be slow, while the diagonal stripe of brighter red means outgassing will occur at some intermediate rate. While the bottom left darker red means outgassing will proceed rapidly.

got it, now see 3 colors, have old eyes

am at TA 100 and pH 7.4
    if I drop to TA 80 or 70 or 60 to slow down pH rising will I hurt anything?

11. Back To Top    #11

The dark color is supposed to be green. The colors delineate <10 (green), 10-20 (orange), >20 (red) which is how much the water is over-carbonated. However, the amount of pH rise is very dependent on the amount of aeration of the water so the color coding is very approximate and mostly for relatively calm pools. We have found that saltwater chlorine generator pools, for example, need a far lower amount of over-carbonation to be more stable in pH, closer to being 3 or less in the table. Finally, the rate of carbon dioxide outgassing is also proportional to the square of the TA level and that is not reflected in the table.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"