Question about adjusting TA

kmorxi

Mar 25, 2024
Austin Texas
Hey guys, I'm balancing my pool and my numbers are all in good ranges except Total alkalinity which is 230. The water here is known to be alkaline so this was expected, but this seems super high. My pool is 7500 gallons. My Taylor book says to dump 2.25 gallons of 31.45% Muriatic acid in to lower my TA by 150ppm, does this sound right? I also noticed that there's a table to lower pH by using Muriatic acid, and for my size pool, the table's max amount for the biggest pH decrease is 1.9 quarts of Muriatic acid to adjust for needing 10 drops on the pH test (not sure how much this will actually drop the pH, but i assume a lot)

So if my pH is already in the ideal range and I want to lower my TA by 150ppm, is adding over 2 gallons of something that will tank my ph a good idea? I've read all the pages a lot and a little confused with the total alkalinity to pH relation, pH is the scale of acidic to alkaline, but since they're separate readings it leads me to believe there's something else that's not mentioned in the guides and I want to understand that connection, the fact they're separate readings and adjusting them is different seems contradictory or redundant

NO! Throw those tables in the trash.

You never lower your pH by more then 0.4 in any one acid addition.

You will be fighting a losing battle with your TA if you have high TA fill water. You can let your TA lower naturally and just lower your pH to around 7.2 anytime you need to adjust pH. That will slwoly lower your TA.

Reactions: kmorxi
NO! Throw those tables in the trash.

You never lower your pH by more then 0.4 in any one acid addition.

You will be fighting a losing battle with your TA if you have high TA fill water. You can let your TA lower naturally and just lower your pH to around 7.2 anytime you need to adjust pH. That will slwoly lower your TA.

Okay! So just keep my pH at 7-7.2 and keep my filter pumping and play in the pool a ton and splash around and the TA should lower over time? And are there any major issues with higher TA in the meantime? It's just a little 18'x18' 7500 gallon intex pinyl pool (I'll be reading the Further reading links you posted tonight!)
:)

Last edited: