5th Weeks of Chemicals - 2 Week SLAM and Deep End Still Cloudy

Good luck.

35 years and no Slam so I thought I’d at least give it a try and its definitely gotten better but I guess with no Taylor test kit people like me shouldn’t come here for help?
Everyone would love to help, but without any reliable test data any advice offered could make things worse or waste lots of your money. Realistically the test kit will save you more money than it costs you in the end. 12 gallons of chlorine, floc and biogard won’t be something you have to purchase anymore.

What you saved by not buying a tf100 or Taylor k2006c you have likely spent in inefficient chlorine use & electricity.
Get one on order asap so you can know what your actual cya level is & maintain the proper & effective slam level fc (no more, no less). No guessing.
You say your sand is new- was it replaced after your use of flocculant?

The test kit preference is more about being on the same page. We know what to do with the results from Taylor kits. We aren't pros on other kits to know that when it says X, you need to Y. You'd be surprised how much the different kits and test methods vary. Your kits X and our kits X may be two different things, and we send you to the wrong Y, making it worse.

This is your first rodeo, but we have seen it go south many, many times.

As mentioned above- without an fas/dpd test that measures fc & cc separately & accurately up to 50ppm (instead of total chlorine only to 5ppm w/the OTO)
& a reliable cya # we would be guessing about what’s going on just like you.
The first step really is the kit.
I used the hth kit for years with my little pools that I could dump if there was a problem - its not terrible for ph, ta, & ch but it only has the oto total chlorine test & enough cya reagent for 2 tests.

Reactions: Eredwood
I can’t afford the Taylor kit right now
Understood. Try to set aside some money since a quality test kit is by far the best money you'll ever spend on your pool. You will save a massive amount of money, time, and effort by using a proper kit, and you'll attain a superior outcome.

Reactions: Eredwood and Bperry
Everyone would love to help, but without any reliable test data any advice offered could make things worse or waste lots of your money. Realistically the test kit will save you more money than it costs you in the end. 12 gallons of chlorine, floc and biogard won’t be something you have to purchase anymore.
Okay, trying to get one of these kits is such a hassle and so expensive but seems it’s the only way to use this process. I’ll work on trying to purchase one. 😊
…and I know some are you are saying…it’s cheaper than 12 gallons of chlorine…I already had all of the other chemicals and I’ve only spent $40 on chlorine! Just saying 😊

Understood. Try to set aside some money since a quality test kit is by far the best money you'll ever spend on your pool. You will save a massive amount of money, time, and effort by using a proper kit, and you'll attain a superior outcome.
Thanks PJT! Yes, I really don’t want to spend $100 but I’m willing since this is the only way to SLAM. 35 years of not much more than chlorine tabs and now it’s all about only using liquid chlorine. My pool is so close to being clear, so the $100 is a bit over the top for me. Ordering just takes so freaking long. No place to buy it where I live, but hopefully I’ll have one in a week or so 🤞🏽

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As mentioned above- without an fas/dpd test that measures fc & cc separately & accurately up to 50ppm (instead of total chlorine only to 5ppm w/the OTO)
& a reliable cya # we would be guessing about what’s going on just like you.
The first step really is the kit.
I used the hth kit for years with my little pools that I could dump if there was a problem - its not terrible for ph, ta, & ch but it only has the oto total chlorine test & enough cya reagent for 2 tests.
Okay, I’m going to view them again and work on ordering one and come back. Thank you!

Tell ya' what.....you can buy just the fas dpd chlorine test components separately from a full kit. It's the only way to know your FC for sure and on a regular enough basis for the SLAM.
This is the one I just ordered. Thank you for the suggestion!

Attachments

• 4F53E019-B74C-4E1C-A79F-D6CE7E19367F.png
    4F53E019-B74C-4E1C-A79F-D6CE7E19367F.png
    414 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
What you saved by not buying a tf100 or Taylor k2006c you have likely spent in inefficient chlorine use & electricity.
Get one on order asap so you can know what your actual cya level is & maintain the proper & effective slam level fc (no more, no less). No guessing.
You say your sand is new- was it replaced after your use of flocculant?
No it was replaced at the end of the season last year. My psi has been fine. Could it still be sand? Tbh, the floc was from last year and didn’t really do much.

Okay, I just ordered. What should I do until May 10th?
View attachment 487004
Add 5ppm of liquid chlorine every day until the kit arrives. The other thing to watch for is that floc. If any of it got into the filter then the sand may be junk. Lots of people use the floc and think they got it out, but find out they’re wrong after the sand cakes up and stops filtering well. You might want to open it up and check the condition of the sand. If it caked up with floc you may need to change it out.

Incidentally, the sand only ever needs changing after it’s ruined by floc or other potions the pool store sells you. It’s perfectly fine to keep as long as it can be cleaned.

Yea, the test kit cost some money but you won’t ever need to buy floc, clarifier, or any other magic potions that won’t work. Let us know what the results are when the kit arrives.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Okay, I just ordered. What should I do until May 10th?
View attachment 487004
great 👍🏻
do you have cya reagent/test? That number is super important.
Until it arrives Do the 5ppm of liquid chlorine daily, brush/vac daily, go on the hunt for hidden algae (ladders, skimmers, light niches, drain covers etc.)
As for the sand you may want to consider a deep clean

Reactions: Eredwood
great 👍🏻
do you have cya reagent/test? That number is super important.
Until it arrives Do the 5ppm of liquid chlorine daily, brush/vac daily, go on the hunt for hidden algae (ladders, skimmers, light niches, drain covers etc.)
As for the sand you may want to consider a deep clean
Okay, got it. Thank you! Also, are there any indicators that I could look for that may tell me the sand needs cleaning or replaced before opening it up?
I don’t have any CYA tests left, but the last readings were 30 at home and 36 pool store.

Okay, got it. Thank you! Also, are there any indicators that I could look for that may tell me the sand needs cleaning or replaced before opening it up?
Is the pressure increasing with filtering & reducing after backwashing? It should be.

Also be sure that the gauge goes to zero when the pump is off - if not , replace the gauge.

Is the pressure increasing with filtering & reducing after backwashing? It should be.

Also be sure that the gauge goes to zero when the pump is off - if not , replace the gauge.
That’s the thing that’s confusing me about the sand. It’s brand new and I have a new filter gauge that was put on before I opened this year. The pressure has been fine and I usually backwash when it’s 5 over - which is maybe 1-2 times a week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.