5th Weeks of Chemicals - 2 Week SLAM and Deep End Still Cloudy

Floc is essentially glue
Yes, I am familiar with all of the pool store chemicals. I’ve been a pool owner for 36 years and believe it or not we’ve NEVER had any problems until this year when the pool wasn’t covered for the first time. I have solar panels and well water so I haven’t turned the filter off in 5 weeks except overnight twice. So I haven’t spent much money and truly never have. That’s why this is so aggravating.

Okay, got it. Thank you! Also, are there any indicators that I could look for that may tell me the sand needs cleaning or replaced before opening it up?
I don’t have any CYA tests left, but the last readings were 30 at home and 36 pool store.
If you open it and it still feels like sand then it’s probably ok. If there are chunks stuck together or you can reach your hand in and can’t lift the sand out then it’s been “glued” and won’t filter well anymore.

Reactions: Mdragger88
The deep clean isn’t too terrible to accomplish if you have a little time (way easier than removing & replacing sand)
- it’s something that should be done every couple seasons anyway.
After you know you’re sand is in good shape, you’re on your way with the
SLAM Process at the correct levels, & fc demand slows a bit you can try adding a little de to the sand filter to help it catch the finer stuff. But you wanna make sure everything else is good to go first & you’re on tail end of the process. If you do it too soon in the process the pressure can rise very quickly so some babysitting is involved .
Here’s the details on that
You should order more cya reagent - if you ordered on amazon they often give free shipping for anymore orders in the next 24hrs. You may want to confirm that your cya tube & squirty bottle are the same as the taylor ones, if not replace them- mine were but that was years ago. I buy the big bottle because it’s cheaper & the cya reagent lasts a long time if stored in a cool dark place.

Reactions: Eredwood
The deep clean isn’t too terrible to accomplish if you have a little time (way easier than removing & replacing sand)
- it’s something that should be done every couple seasons anyway.
After you know you’re sand is in good shape, you’re on your way with the
SLAM Process at the correct levels, & fc demand slows a bit you can try adding a little de to the sand filter to help it catch the finer stuff. But you wanna make sure everything else is good to go first & you’re on tail end of the process. If you do it too soon in the process the pressure can rise very quickly so some babysitting is involved .
Here’s the details on that
You should order more cya reagent - if you ordered on amazon they often give free shipping for anymore orders in the next 24hrs. You may want to confirm that your cya tube & squirty bottle are the same as the taylor ones, if not replace them- mine were but that was years ago. I buy the big bottle because it’s cheaper & the cya reagent lasts a long time if stored in a cool dark place.
Is this it? Can you send link or picture so I can be sure I’m getting the right thing?
5831FB51-D1D8-4438-B593-ABD93CCC6116.png

Attachments

• EB94BE62-CED2-4C95-AFDA-C00FEE7977E4.png
    EB94BE62-CED2-4C95-AFDA-C00FEE7977E4.png
    373 KB · Views: 1

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay, and how often do I need to test for cya?
You will test asap of course, then after slam is complete.
In general every 3-4 weeks is a good rule unless you exchange water or are adding things that contain cya (Trichlor/dichlor) or are actively adjusting cya.
The cya reagent should last years if stored properly. The others expire after 2 yrs.

Reactions: Eredwood
Last edited:
You will test asap of course, then after slam is complete.
In general every 3-4 weeks is a good rule unless you exchange water or are adding things that contain cya (Trichlor/dichlor) or are actively adjusting cya.
The cya reagent should last years if stored properly. The others expire after 2 yrs.
Okay, thank you. Funny thing is, by the time it gets here my pool will be clear! Lol, but I know I’ll need it going forward so it’s all good. 😂

I thought it had to be the Taylor bRand
Tftestkits uses Taylor reagents.

The TFpro and TFpro salt look expensive but both come with a $48 stirring device that the K2006C doesn't. They are the better value when the stirring device is added to a K2006c.

Trust me Eredwood, you want the stirring device. Nobody. And I mean nobody. Would give theirs back if they had one. They'd fight for it. Dirty if need be.

Okay, I got the test kits and tested a little while ago. I didn’t replace pool sand but used kwikstrip and after the white suds the water came out clear. Pool has gotten a lot clearer. I can see to the bottom of deep end 8ft. Numbers are:
FC 5
CC 0
CH 180
AK 80
PH 8.2
CYA 35
image.jpg

Last edited:
Did you use the fas dpd test? (Where you do powder then drops)
If not use that one.
The first result is FC the 2nd result is CC
The total of the two is TC.
Your cya counts as 40 (no inbetweens on the test, always round up).
*Lower your ph to 7.2
*Then bring fc up to 16ppm & maintain that as often as possible (test & replenish every couple hours if you can swing it).
FC/CYA Levels

For a successful SLAM Process
you need to continue to MAINTAIN Slam level fc for your cya as often as possible (multiple times per day is best) until you meet ALL 3 end of slam criteria-

You are done when:

CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
AND
the water is clear.
(Crystal Clear w/no algae dead or alive)

*Check & scrub every nook & cranny where algae may hide (light niches, steps, drain covers, ladder handrails, skimmer throats/weirs, abandoned lines, autofill, overflow drains, etc.)
*If water can go there, algae can thrive there.
*Run slam level water through all water features & lines for at least a couple hours a day during the SLAM Process.
*Brush & or vac daily (this breaks up biofilms that algae uses to protect itself from chlorine)
*Backwash/clean filter when pressure rises 25%over clean pressure.
SLAM ON 👍🏻

Reactions: Eredwood and Bperry
Okay, I got the test kits and tested a little while ago. I didn’t replace pool sand but used kwikstrip and after the white suds the water came out clear. Pool has gotten a lot clearer. I can see to the bottom of deep end 8ft. Numbers are:
TC 5
CC 0
CH 180
AK 80
PH 8.2
CYA 35
View attachment 489128
What is kwikstrip? Maybe a typo for something other than paint stripper? (hopefully!)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.