Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: How long would you let your ShotCrete set up/dry before finish?

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Posts
    176

    How long would you let your ShotCrete set up/dry before finish?

    I'd like everyones opinions here...best practices, etc.


    Obligatory pic:


    .
    O/B Woodland Hills, CA : O/B12x30 inground with 6x6 10-jet spa, 10,500gal, 6' Baja deck, 42" spillway, All Jandy: 400k heater, 2.7 HP VS pump, 1.5HP booster spa pump, SWG, Intellelink controls, (4) LED lights, cartridge filter and BlueSquareQ360 infloor cleaning system, Eclipse drain, glass tiles, Zanzibar white pebble finish. Broke ground 2/18/2016, completed 8/16/2016. TFT 100 kit.

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad jblizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    37,389

    Re: How long would you let your ShotCrete set up/dry before finish?

    I am not sure what the standard is. But, it is usually a good idea to spray the concrete down a few times a day to slow down the curing.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Fullerton, CA
    Posts
    622

    Re: How long would you let your ShotCrete set up/dry before finish?

    28 days
    33x19, 3'4"-5'6", 7ft spa, baja reef, 14'x9', 18" deep, 10,668 Gal. Quartzite coping, Stonescape Tropics Blue mini-pebble, abalone & glass beads. Jandy Equip.(JXi heater, 2.7HPVS pump, PLC1400 SWG, CV580 filter, Aqualink, LEDs)
    TF-100, Doheny Discovery robot.

  4. Back To Top    #4
    MarkTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    337

    Re: How long would you let your ShotCrete set up/dry before finish?

    Not an expert, new pool myself, but seems like the PB waited 3-4 weeks, without any reason other than to wait.
    30,000 gal free-form IG w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair 3 HP Intelliflo, extra pump that is way over-sized for weeping moss rocks, Dolphin Oasis Z5, municipal water, all built Jan-Feb 2016. TF-100, SpeedStir, Liquidator 3/8", borates. My build thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-in-Cypress-TX

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Posts
    176

    Re: How long would you let your ShotCrete set up/dry before finish?

    What I was thinking...thanks. Just like concrete....
    O/B Woodland Hills, CA : O/B12x30 inground with 6x6 10-jet spa, 10,500gal, 6' Baja deck, 42" spillway, All Jandy: 400k heater, 2.7 HP VS pump, 1.5HP booster spa pump, SWG, Intellelink controls, (4) LED lights, cartridge filter and BlueSquareQ360 infloor cleaning system, Eclipse drain, glass tiles, Zanzibar white pebble finish. Broke ground 2/18/2016, completed 8/16/2016. TFT 100 kit.

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Mesa, Az
    Posts
    536

    Re: How long would you let your ShotCrete set up/dry before finish?

    Quote Originally Posted by Titan7 View Post
    28 days
    More like 7 days . . .
    http://www.pooleng.com/_coremodules/...re/fv-145.aspx
    You could do waterline tile even earlier if you wanted to.

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Mesa, Az
    Posts
    536

    Re: How long would you let your ShotCrete set up/dry before finish?

    Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    I am not sure what the standard is. But, it is usually a good idea to spray the concrete down a few times a day to slow down the curing.
    Keeping the concrete damp doesn't slow the curing, it enhances it. Concrete cures through a chemical process called hydration. Free water is necessary to sustain hydration and to lessen the occurance of shrinkage cracking. The first three to seven days are the most critical since that is when approximately 85% of the ultimate strength is obtained.

  8. Back To Top    #8
    Mod Squad jblizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    37,389

    Re: How long would you let your ShotCrete set up/dry before finish?

    Thanks BigE, I was not clear with my response. Yes it enhances the curing to lower likelihood of cracks ... in my mind, by slowing the surface curing.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Posts
    176

    Re: How long would you let your ShotCrete set up/dry before finish?

    Quote Originally Posted by BigEinAZ View Post
    More like 7 days . . .
    http://www.pooleng.com/_coremodules/...re/fv-145.aspx
    You could do waterline tile even earlier if you wanted to.
    Thanks. But that wordy article - that does not really answer the question - but it does say that the only time you would wait a mere 7 days is in the case of exposed or out of grade shotcrete where you needed to back fill. Later on in the article it talks about 100% strength in 28 days and not to fill the pool with water before the 28 day period.
    O/B Woodland Hills, CA : O/B12x30 inground with 6x6 10-jet spa, 10,500gal, 6' Baja deck, 42" spillway, All Jandy: 400k heater, 2.7 HP VS pump, 1.5HP booster spa pump, SWG, Intellelink controls, (4) LED lights, cartridge filter and BlueSquareQ360 infloor cleaning system, Eclipse drain, glass tiles, Zanzibar white pebble finish. Broke ground 2/18/2016, completed 8/16/2016. TFT 100 kit.

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Mesa, Az
    Posts
    536

    Re: How long would you let your ShotCrete set up/dry before finish?

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo View Post
    Thanks. But that wordy article - that does not really answer the question - but it does say that the only time you would wait a mere 7 days is in the case of exposed or out of grade shotcrete where you needed to back fill. Later on in the article it talks about 100% strength in 28 days and not to fill the pool with water before the 28 day period.
    Frank, I don't read anywhere in the article that the pool should not be filled before twenty-eight days. That specific reference is to an unsupported shell wall. As long as the water level is below grade (fully supported) there should be no reason to wait that long. More important than compressive strength is flexural strength. As long as the shell is supported, there will be minimal flexural load on the shell. By fourteen days, most well proportioned concrete mixes will have reached at least 85% ultimate strength. If my pool builder was ready to fill fourteen days after shooting the shell, I wouldn't have any concerns.

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Posts
    176

    Re: How long would you let your ShotCrete set up/dry before finish?

    Quote Originally Posted by BigEinAZ View Post
    Frank, I don't read anywhere in the article that the pool should not be filled before twenty-eight days. That specific reference is to an unsupported shell wall. As long as the water level is below grade (fully supported) there should be no reason to wait that long. More important than compressive strength is flexural strength. As long as the shell is supported, there will be minimal flexural load on the shell. By fourteen days, most well proportioned concrete mixes will have reached at least 85% ultimate strength. If my pool builder was ready to fill fourteen days after shooting the shell, I wouldn't have any concerns.
    Thanks for the explanation E. So it sounds like plaster in 14 days would not be a problem either.

    One good thing about that article was that it pointed out if both sides of the shell are exposed (like my raised spa is) it's important to keep it damp because both sides are exposed to weather. Nice to know, easy to do.
    O/B Woodland Hills, CA : O/B12x30 inground with 6x6 10-jet spa, 10,500gal, 6' Baja deck, 42" spillway, All Jandy: 400k heater, 2.7 HP VS pump, 1.5HP booster spa pump, SWG, Intellelink controls, (4) LED lights, cartridge filter and BlueSquareQ360 infloor cleaning system, Eclipse drain, glass tiles, Zanzibar white pebble finish. Broke ground 2/18/2016, completed 8/16/2016. TFT 100 kit.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •