Issues with pool coping

brianlhughes

Sep 5, 2023
Calfornia
Hello all,

Looking for some advice here. Pool coping looked ok until we hosed it down after it got dirty 3 weeks after it was installed. When getting wet it looked like it was scaly or micro cracks until water eventually soaked inn then it was a solid color. Then after we had some rain the coping looks wet a week after. It seems dry just appears wet. We are not happy and trying to negotiate with pool builder on how to resolve it. I believe it needs to be ripped out and replaced. Has anyone see this before and know what happening here? Also what are your opinions on how to fix it.

Thank you for the Help!

Attachments

• IMG_6351.jpeg
    IMG_6351.jpeg
    836.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_6212.jpeg
    IMG_6212.jpeg
    704.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_6146.jpeg
    IMG_6146.jpeg
    541.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_6344.jpeg
    IMG_6344.jpeg
    602.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_6341.jpeg
    IMG_6341.jpeg
    715 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_6346.jpeg
    IMG_6346.jpeg
    673 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_6347.jpeg
    IMG_6347.jpeg
    770.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_6348.jpeg
    IMG_6348.jpeg
    820.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_6349.jpeg
    IMG_6349.jpeg
    744.7 KB · Views: 68
Welcome to TFP.

I think what you see is the nature of the material you chose.

Maybe @AQUA~HOLICS has dealt with that material.

What you described is normal for poured concrete.

Reactions: .ben
New Pool Coping Came out great! So the difference is we had them bring concrete in on a truck instead of hand mixing, did a plastic barrier between shotcrete/coping per pool engineering, and we did an acid wash finish on concrete instead of broom. We now have no issues at all. When it gets wet its all the same color and it drys fast without staining. We are very happy! I hope this helps in case someone else has the issue we did. Don't settle for it! Make the replace it and do it right!

Pool Coping copy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds to me like the inconsistency of the hand mixed batches of concrete were at the root of your problems versus a single consistent truck mix.

That is an important difference in the quality of “poured concrete”.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.