Prevent Pool light from leaking

Brwolv

Feb 12, 2023
Arizona
Hello,
I am under construction for an in ground pool here in AZ. Juts got my shotcrete done last Thursday. While watering the shell down I notice that the sitting ledge above where the pool light is, water drains down the conduit that will serve the pop up cleaning head on that ledge, then runs out the bottom of the large LED light that is just below it on the pool wall. While I didnt expect the shotcrete to form a water tight seal around the conduits and light, I am wondering if there is anything I should do at this stage of the build to protect against that all to common light leaks (i.e., those very common rust stains running down the wall from lights) Should I try to fill that cavity with concrete mix, epoxy, or some sealant before they come back for the pebble tec finish? Or am I over thinking it and stressing about nothing?

Appreciate any insight on best practices, good ideas to do while building, etc...

Thanks

Hello,
I am under construction for an in ground pool here in AZ. Juts got my shotcrete done last Thursday. While watering the shell down I notice that the sitting ledge above where the pool light is, water drains down the conduit that will serve the pop up cleaning head on that ledge, then runs out the bottom of the large LED light that is just below it on the pool wall. While I didnt expect the shotcrete to form a water tight seal around the conduits and light, I am wondering if there is anything I should do at this stage of the build to protect against that all to common light leaks (i.e., those very common rust stains running down the wall from lights) Should I try to fill that cavity with concrete mix, epoxy, or some sealant before they come back for the pebble tec finish? Or am I over thinking it and stressing about nothing?

Appreciate any insight on best practices, good ideas to do while building, etc...

Thanks
I'm struggling a bit to visualize the scenario.

I've reread it a few times and it seems you are sying the water that enters your pop-up line is the same water that exits your light niche; is that correct? If so, this should not occur within those lines. I'm trying to understand this another way but that amount of water should not exit/enter the earth around your perforations in the shotcrete. They can leech, but not gush.

Your plaster crew should pack around the lights. But I would have your PB witness the behavior you're describing because if I understood it correctly, it's strange.

Thank you for the replies, attaching a couple pictures to better depict what I was trying to explain. Brad you will see the conduit stubbed out on a sitting ledge, when water fills up the concave area around the conduit, it will drain down into the wall behind it, and then out the bottom of the light. The light has some pretty big gaps around it, so I imagine the Hot Plaster seal is standard fair as Aqua-Holics mentioned. Wondering if there is anything I should do to help the situation or leave it and trust the process.
thanks again

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_3093.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3093.jpg
    509.6 KB · Views: 21
  • thumbnail_IMG_3094.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3094.jpg
    537.6 KB · Views: 22
Water will flow via the path of least resistance. For now, that path allows that water to exit the shell via the light niche. The gunite/shotcrete shell is not water proof. Once the plaster is applied it will create the water proofing and this will cease to occur.

Chances are this rust you speak of below a pool light is due to a low quality lighting assembly or long term poor water chemistry or both.

Water will flow via the path of least resistance. For now, that path allows that water to exit the shell via the light niche. The gunite/shotcrete shell is not water proof. Once the plaster is applied it will create the water proofing and this will cease to occur.

Chances are this rust you speak of below a pool light is due to a low quality lighting assembly or long term poor water chemistry or both.
Got it, thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.